Author Topic: 3/14/12 "Terminal Ballistics"  (Read 5364 times)

n5wd

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
3/14/12 "Terminal Ballistics"
« on: March 14, 2012, 11:28:48 PM »
Just finished watching "Terminal Ballistics". Overall, and outstanding episode - I've always been interested in seeing the high speed photography showing impact ballistics. So much better than a description.  But, a couple of suggestions:

1. Be consistent in showing the bullet trajectory - you're firing stage left to stage right, and the closeup of the gel is also stage left to stage right, but then when we see you and the gel, it's suddenly reversed, and a couple of times (for example, the .410 shots with the disks and the bb's) it was hard to transition to seeing max penetration on the right hand side of the screen, then all of a sudden flipping to it on the left side.  Be consistent, please. The football guys learned that a long time ago - notice if they show a reverse seen it's prominently labeled as a reverse scene.

2. A ruler on top of the gel with the close-ups of the strikes would have been good.

Now, are you going to cut up the various round into individual clips somewhere?  It'd be a great resource for the future!

Thanks, guys - had to subscribe to the high end package on DirectTV to get the Outdoors Channel, but it's been worth it!

Wayne

BAC

Re: 3/14/12 "Terminal Ballistics"
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 11:39:18 AM »
Watching the show now.  I think I'll load my new 12 gauge up with shot wads for self defense.   ;D

rucj0hns053

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 07:05:03 PM »
Really enjoyed the show.  Very good information but too bad time didn't allow for more testing of different types of bullets in  similar calibers (i.e., ball vs hollow point) of course $ would have been difficult.  Some surprising results and thanks for addressing some "truths" that have been showing up on the internet.

Thanks again for addressing a very important topic. :)

DGF

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 08:52:29 PM »
Good show! Really enjoyed it. Like to see what a 20 gauge would do compared to 12 gauge.

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 872
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 08:51:48 AM »
Good show! Really enjoyed it. Like to see what a 20 gauge would do compared to 12 gauge.

Take a look at the ballistics on the ammunition charts.  An ounce of lead at 1,200 fps is an ounce of lead at 1,200 fps regardless of the bore diameter.  This is easiest demonstrated when parents buy their child a 20 ga because it will be "softer shooting," and they buy them full trap loads. 

Another thought, and I know this was not part of your comment, is availability.  In our area 20 ga self defense loads are very difficult to find.  Trap loads are on the shelf, upland hunting loads at about 2/3 of 12 ga, and very little waterfowl.  Lack of availability makes evaluation difficult, and if you can't buy it when you need it all the evaluation means nothing.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 09:56:13 PM »

TexGun

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 06:19:37 AM »
The .223/.5.56 out of the AR into the gel was very interesting to me.  Really cool to see that it did not make it all the way through the gel.  What's more interesting is that my 10 year old took a fallow deer doe this weekend with his .223 and guess what?  The round went right through the shoulder and embeded in the muscle of the opposite shoulder.  No EXIT WOUND!  So, the practical application lined up with the SG simulation. ;D

Now its time to fire up the smoker!

Ping

• Top Forum Member
  • Glock Certified Armorer & NRA Certified Instructor
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2012, 07:54:38 PM »
Great job to your son on the fallow deer. Missed this episode.  :( Did not record on DVR...

AE3007H1

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
Re: Re: 3/14/12 "Terminal Ballistics"
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2012, 09:52:19 PM »
I agree with N5, but enjoyed the episode none the less. I am curious how the 357sig would have done.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk
AE3007H1
TeamKLR2bar

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk