Author Topic: Adventures in Ham Radio  (Read 7849 times)

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 453
Re: Adventures in Ham Radio
« Reply #60 on: January 30, 2024, 10:45:23 AM »
End of year, 2023.

I did end up 35th in GA in the VOTA contest.  It did occupy my "desk" time every day and I'm happy that I finished above my original goal of 50th.  I don't know how long before, if they haven't already, they close the books on this.   I'm still getting a few QSL in LOTW from last year.  Some people take months to upload their contacts.  I might go up or down. 

Now I'm a little let-down, as I'm not anxious just to make contacts but I want to advance my WAS and DXCC status.  I have 61 countries.  And while I do have WAS (mostly on 15m), I want to complete 5-band and FT4.  So I need a bunch on 80m, AK+HI on 40m, AK on 20m, AR+TN+SC+NC on 10m and AK+HI on FT4.  When the weather's a little warmer I'm putting up a rigid 10m dipole to see if the change of polarization will help me get the close in states.

When I get it completed I'll post my truck installation.  I've used the remote cable and have only the control panel in the front of the truck and I haven't decided were to mount the base unit yet.  For now it's sitting on the floor in the crew cab.  And I've got drill a hole through the cab for the antenna cable.

Along that line I discovered the joy of remote control panels.  I 3D printed a little stand and now have my HF control right in front of my keyboard and put the base on top of the power supply.  It's on the floor behind the desk.  Neatens up the desk and lets me have the radio right in front of me.  I also put a label on all the mikes so I know which one goes where.  I have 4 different ICOM units and each mike is different, though they all use a 8pin Cat5 plug.

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1088
« Reply #61 on: January 30, 2024, 06:01:19 PM »
Congrats on being 35th in the state, Alf. Any idea how many people you placed ahead of?
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #62 on: January 30, 2024, 09:30:33 PM »
Will work for ammo

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 573
« Reply #63 on: January 31, 2024, 05:29:57 PM »
Alf, I think that is a great accomplishment. 

Especially considering radio is not your main hobby!!

;)
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

Jim Kennedy-ar154me

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1438
« Reply #64 on: February 01, 2024, 07:50:30 AM »
Alf, I think that is a great accomplishment. 

Especially considering radio is not your main hobby!!

;)

I think ALL his hobbies are his main hobbies!
 8) 8)
The time for action is upon us and the enemy is at our gates. Let us not allow them one more inch of advancement but instead throw them through the gates of Hell.

Sponsor

« Reply #65 on: Today at 05:32:15 PM »

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #65 on: February 01, 2024, 09:32:44 AM »
There are so many hobbies out there that I could spend money and time on that I don't.   I'd love hearing about others that you guys participate in.

Even my shooting and ham radio took a back seat while raising a family.  Only when the youngest started high school did I really start back into them.

Will work for ammo

Jim Kennedy-ar154me

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1438
« Reply #66 on: February 01, 2024, 11:34:43 AM »
Let me see......
1. Computers. (also my job)
2. Firearms. (Collecting and shooting)
3. Ham radio.
4. Animals (Pets AND zoo's)
5. Tech museums. (Air Force is #1 on that list)

And my wife would tell you that 6 would be sleeping!!!!! ;D

The time for action is upon us and the enemy is at our gates. Let us not allow them one more inch of advancement but instead throw them through the gates of Hell.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #67 on: February 02, 2024, 04:02:59 AM »
Sleeping is my number one hobby. Sleep is so wonderful, it's a shame to waste it on people who are too tired to enjoy it. Other than a snack break after 30 hours when I watched TV for 2 hours, I slept for 55 hours, give or take a few. Beyond the 48 hour mark it doesn't make much difference anyway. After awhile I couldn't remember if I went to bed at 11:30 am or 4:30 pm Tuesday, but I think it was 11:30, and didn't get up until 9:00 pm Thursday night. The only other sustenance I had the whole time was an occasional dozen or so Jelly Bellys when I got up to pee and have a drink of water. The only time my head doesn't hurt is when I'm unconscious, and it's really hurting now.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #68 on: February 02, 2024, 04:04:57 AM »
863 to be exact

http://HTTPS://vota.arrl.org

In the top 4%. Wow. Anywhere in the top 10 is impressive.

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 573
« Reply #69 on: February 02, 2024, 07:39:25 AM »
There are so many hobbies out there that I could spend money and time on that I don't.   I'd love hearing about others that you guys participate in.

Even my shooting and ham radio took a back seat while raising a family.  Only when the youngest started high school did I really start back into them.

I second that.  Only when my youngest got off the payroll for college (pickedup his own tab...yeah!) did I begin to move into "fun things".  I really want to get a good large aperture telescope....something greater than 8".  However, house building comes first so that's over a year away. 

I've had some guys contact me to help them from home with some things they are unable to do so as my wife works through this 2nd cancer thing (doing well by the way!). I may help them out a little to contribute to the observatory fund. 

There are 3 AR 550 chest silouhettes to put up in the shooting bay that i've had on the ground for a year now. 

I need to find some help to pick up a 55' crankup tower a friend has given me and buy a new tilt plate to cement in.  There are some tri-beams sitting around in a box waiting on it.  There is the 4 or 5 BTV to put up...actually two to put up one at my Mom's and one at home.  We need to build two stands this year...with a few solar panels for some power, a long range wifi hookup, a propane heater, and real life stairs to get in the thing.  Something pretty much accessible for disabled persons so that so I can invite injured warriors to hunt bear and deer like a friend of mine does.  Also, my future daughter-in-law wants to kill a bear this year so I need to get that deer/bear stand up asap. 

Shoot, I want to go hunting sometime.  The turkey's are calling my name for the spring hunt.  Deer are too much trouble and deer meat is not high on my culinary list so...unless I see a Boone & Crockett deer they are safe around me.  Squirrel jambalaya is on the list...when I have time for them...there is fence to fix.

I still don't have much of a fallout shelter...just a small concrete storm shelter stuck in the hill by the house.  From the way things are looking it is high on the priority list...like a bullet to number 1 if the regional war ongoing in the middle east heats up more.  And if they abandon Israel for the failed "two state solution" I'll start building as soon as possible. 

And...our President Biden is doing all he can to show weakness by addressing attacks on our people in the weak apologetic woke way.  They are insane....the two state solution failed why will it work now?  Just let Israel clean house and keep Gaza and the West Bank.  i am fairly confident that this idiot administration's weakness is going to get us killed. They called Yemen before they attacked...let the leadership of Iranian controlled militias leave before attacking and on and on....what complete idiots who are getting our warriors killed.  I guess they won't be happy until Iran hits a carrier group with nukes, North Korea takes over South Korea and China plants it's flag in Taiwan....only then can they happily point their uncovered butt in the air and say "us next."
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk