Author Topic: SIG Handgun Model Question  (Read 19860 times)

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 573
SIG Handgun Model Question
« on: April 13, 2008, 08:50:27 PM »
OK...I'm on a handgun binge (income tax refund coming..!!).  I don't own a SIG, but I've picked up the 226 and others.  So...for a "full size" SIG....what is the differences in all the 2XX model numbers?  Some to stay away from...others not?  Does the number change with the caliber or is it a feature change (say has a rail or not, or striker fired...etc.)?  Also...do they have a compact in .45?

Which ones do ya'll like and why? 

Thanks,
Ken
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

tombogan03884

Re: SIG Handgun Model Question
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008, 12:31:40 AM »
I think the number changes with the caliber, I'm not a Sig shooter so I  can't tell you any more.

jc451911

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008, 05:33:44 AM »
The SIG Sauer line started in the us in the late 70's with the P220 imported by Browning as the BDA, later by SIG's own US based importer which was to become Sigarms. The P220 is currently avaiable in the US in .45. However, it has been available in 9mm and .38 Super in limmited numbers here in the US. The P225 is or was a single stack, compact 9mm (I don't know if ti is still available new in US now. However there are deals to be had from several wholesalers in the Shotgun News.) The P226 was originally the first SIG double column pistol, introduced at the beginning of the "WonderNine" years. It also became standard with some of the Navy's SEAL teams. Later, came the compact, double column P228, also known in military circles as the M11. It was adopted in limited numbers as a more compact alternative to the Beretta 92/M9. All of these came prior to the .40 S&W. SIG's first .40 was the P229 which was introduced around '94-'95, and was an improved version of the P228 designed to handle the .40's heavier recoil impulse.
The P239 was the last of the totally new SIG designs until the P250. The P239 was a slimmer and more compact pistol designed to replace the P225. Several designs were either improved, ie the P226, which had the same milled, all stainless slide of the P229, and the compact P245, a scaled down P220 in .45 ACP.
The SIGPro's came next, late 90's as I recall, but I really don't have any experience with those, so all I'll say is that they're there, and I've not heard any negatives.

As far as ones to stay away from, in my limited experience, None! Pick the one you like the best in the calliber you prefer, and shoot the snot out of it.  ;D ;D Later!!

DDMac

• Proudly Bald On
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2008, 06:07:50 AM »
Carried a P228, P229 and own a P220 Carry model now, in .45. Rastus, I probably put 10K through the first two, each, and had so few failures I can't remember them. It was always operator error like failure to seat the new mag or a bad round. There are so many choices in fire controls (SA/DA, DAO, SA) that you can just make your own custom pistol that will last a very rugged lifetime. The new .45 compact looks very 1911 style, but I haven't had it in hand. Let us know what you decide. Will it fit in that famous Fanny Pack? Oh, never mind. Don't want to fire that up again.
Mac.
Standing up for your Right to lay down suppressive fire since 1948!

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2008, 06:20:28 AM »
Check the Sig web site and the Sig forum.
Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 10:30:42 PM »

Neon Knight Anubis

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2008, 06:29:37 AM »
I agree check the sites out but the ones on the official site are the ones being currently manufactured so if you're looking for an older model there's info everywhere on the net.

I've had a little experience with Sigs, as far as I'm concerned they are the top tier for DA/SA autos. The P226 sings in 9mm, excellent gun all around and the P220 (standard) is flat out one of the best out of the box 45s on the market. I still prefer the 1911 but its really hard to beat so don't let that stop you (they even make a single action only P220 which is really slick). The only problems I have is that you can't buy new non-railed Sigs now and they are $200  too expensive (and thats being modest), I recomend going for a used sig which go for substantially less.
We'll know for the first time
If we're evil or divine
We're the last in line

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member, DRTV Ranger, Guitar Player
    • Bluebone- Burnin' and Smokin'
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2008, 06:44:27 AM »
Hey Rastus! Finally something I have a little experience with. I've fired the 220- nice! 226 is a real hummer too.
I own a SigPro 2022 in 9mm. It's DA/SA, with a decocker, which I like- you really have to want to make that first "go boom" in DA, then your other shots are fast and furious at about 4 lb pull. I've got about 5500 rounds through that gun in about 1-1/2 years and NEVER a hiccup.

I've also got a Sig 1911- the Nitron Revolution GSR with adjustable sights...VERY acccurate and has a very nice trigger that everyone raves about who try it,  right out of the box. 
I've never experienced any problem with any Sig I've handled other than my sights coming loose on the 45, which was an easy fix.
I believe them to be like they say, "To hell and back reliability". They're not the prettiest guns, and some are not the most accurate, but they always go boom.

The only complaints I've heard are one guy I know has a 220 Elite that he sent back 3 times. I've also heard that the Mosquito (22) has a lot of problems.

I got the blues as my companion.

www.bluebone.net

HAWKFISH

• Top Forum Member
  • One thing I've learned. **"It's hit or be hit."**
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2008, 08:35:26 AM »
Yep, before I bought all my Glocks, I almost bought a Sig. Perhaps I will anyway someday. They are good guns. The 226's are sweet! I think out of the sig's I shot and handle, they were the best feeling to me.

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 573
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2008, 08:47:13 PM »
Lusted over a  229 compact model in 9 MM that was all sweet and round where it counts.  There was also a full size 45 in model 229(?) that was, though more robust...just as sweet and smooth.

Looking bad for the home team.....
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 82
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2008, 09:33:05 PM »
Lusted over a  229 compact model in 9 MM that was all sweet and round where it counts.  There was also a full size 45 in model 229(?) that was, though more robust...just as sweet and smooth.

Looking bad for the home team.....

229 is a compact, probably a 226 if .45. I have a 12 year old P220 in .45 that is just sweet.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk