Author Topic: Navy SEAL Lessons Learned From Aurora Colorado  (Read 25307 times)

tombogan03884

Navy SEAL Lessons Learned From Aurora Colorado
« on: July 24, 2012, 06:43:05 PM »
This is a blog post I found on the Blaze, their article caught my attention to I went to the source for the original

http://sofrep.com/9657/navy-seal-lessons-learned-aurora-colorado-survive/

by Brandon Webb · July 24, 2012 · Posted In: Slideshow, Special Operations

As I continue to read about the terrible tragedy in Aurora, Colorado, I can’t help but think there’s some lessons from my time as a Navy SEAL that I can pass on to the average citizen. I want to make sure that the victims of the Aurora do not suffer or die in vain. As a country, we need to learn from this tragedy, raise awareness, and save lives in the future. So here goes…
Don’t Make Yourself an Easy Target

When at sporting events, concerts, and the movies, choose seats that give you a tactical advantage always.  What do I mean? Choose seats that allow good and east vantage points and a hasty exit point.  Always stack the odds in your favor. It’s the reason I still combat park (back in to a space) and sit with my back to the wall when I’m eating.
Active Shooter Scenario Advice

Take cover and not concealment.  Concealment hides, cover hides AND protects.  It’s the difference between hiding behind a movie seat or a concrete wall.

Don’t lie there with your eyes closed and get shot. Think and move.  In these situations you have to take charge and get in the mindset of self-rescue. You cannot wait for first-responders – it takes too long. A good decision executed quickly is better than a great one never executed. Violence of action, as we call it in the Spec Ops community, will often change the odds in your favor.

For close quarter combat drills we’d draw a gun with someone over 20 feet away running at us.  In most cases you can be on someone before they can draw and take a shot.  I’m not advocating running straight at someone but if you have the tactical advantage (jam, re-loading, distraction or the shooter isn’t paying attention) then take the shooter down or get the hell out of there.  Remember that a moving target is extremely hard to hit, even for the well-trained shooter. Deal with the situation with your eyes wide open.

In Aurora, the shooter was severely weighted down with armor and his helmet would have also limited his vision. You can use all this to your advantage.

Flashlight anyone? I have one for daily carry and take it everywhere with me.  It’s become another extension of me and has diffused at least two potentially violent confrontations in a non-lethal way. I recommend the Surefire P2X Fury Dual Output LED.

How to use it in this situation?

I would have pulled my high lumens pocket flashlight and blinded this guy. The high powered beam would have taken away his vision for 3-4 seconds, which is an eternity and enough time to flight or fight. There’s also no shame in surviving and getting you and your loved ones out of harm – especially little ones. Be a Hero to your kids and family for surviving, nobody can expect more of you than that. Like we say in Survival Escape Evasion Resistance (SERE) school, “Survive with Honor.”
Concealed Carry

If you’re lucky enough to live in a state like Texas that not only allows concealed carry, but supports the use of deadly force, then train to use it.

Think seriously about whether it’s worth a Carry Concealed Weapon (CCW) permit  in states where you’re likely to get screwed by a jury if you use it.  Example: I can get a CCW in CA but I’m likely screwed if I shoot somebody.  The mostly liberal (I’m a registered independent for the record) jury will be sure to have my ass and it’s why I own a dog that’s trained to bite and protect (another good option). Nothing makes me happier then visualizing PETA pitted against other wild-eyed liberals.

Bottom line is that if you own a gun and have it as daily carry, you’d better rehearse your use scenarios both physically and mentally, and the same with the gun in the home. Mental practice is extremely valuable after you’ve mastered the basics.  FYI, shooting paper at the local range will not prepare you for a defensive shooting situation. Rehearsing defensive scenarios is the only thing that will prepare you.

For most of you, the best bet is to buy a good tactical flashlight, there are plenty on the market.  Specs: At least 200+ lumens, waterproof, LED, and a 3volt lithium battery.  Use and carry your light with you at all times. It’s the best non-lethal and practical option available, in my opinion.  You can take it anywhere – including on an airplane – and if it’s a high lumen model it will blind people in broad daylight. I can’t recommend this purchase enough.
Learn From an Expert

There are plenty of former Military and Law Enforcement that have great self-defense skills. Just vet your instructor carefully, ask for references and proof of service. While there are many solid instructors out there, there are also a plethora of wannabe Rex-Kwon-Do types who are self-proclaimed experts and worse – lie about their service.
Alter Your Lifestyle, and it May Save Your Life

Avoid opening night and large crowds (e.g. go to Disney World during off-peak) that make easy targets.  FYI, most domestic and foreign terrorists want the biggest bang for their buck. They want Yankee stadium sold out and not Padre stadium at 60% capacity.  It sucks to live this way sometimes but ask the survivors from Colorado if it’s worth a minor lifestyle change. I say it is, and it’s the main reason I’m watching the Olympics on TV and not attending this year. London is too much of a risk for a variety of reasons that I will not go into on this post.
Don’t Be a Victim

Rehearse emergency scenarios before there’s an emergency, the time to practice is NOT when it’s happening.

The world is a dangerous place these days. Be prepared.

Read more: http://sofrep.com/9657/navy-seal-lessons-learned-aurora-colorado-survive/#ixzz21aQUc8KI

A great book I’d also recommend is, Escape The Wolf  by Clinton Emerson.

My condolences to the victims and their families in Aurora Colorado.

Read more: http://sofrep.com/9657/navy-seal-lessons-learned-aurora-colorado-survive/#ixzz21aQbHOns

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 447
Re: Navy SEAL Lessons Learned From Aurora Colorado
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 09:12:32 PM »
Flashlight anyone?

Was this on Fox NC today?   I was watching at lunch and Megan say she had a tip from a Seal about something that could save your life.  But I had to go back to work before they got back to this item.

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

tombogan03884

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012, 10:06:06 PM »
Was this on Fox NC today?   I was watching at lunch and Megan say she had a tip from a Seal about something that could save your life.  But I had to go back to work before they got back to this item.

I don't know.
The part that caught my attention was don't put yourself in the target zone, don't go opening night, don't go to the SRO show. Go the second or third night, go to the show when it's only 1/2 full.
Mass shooters only bother with places there are masses, they will not strike somewhere if they may be the only ones there, kind of defeats their whole purpose.
Kind of like with normal crime, don't hang out with or be a druggie, drunk, or gang banger , don't go where they congregate, and you will cut you chances of becoming a target to a fraction of what they would be otherwise.

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 853
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012, 10:33:13 PM »
He was on CNN at some point.  I can't tell you the time, because it was on just for background noise in the office. 

One thing he said after the flashlight caught my attention and ticked me off.  He talked of a gun not being the answer, because he is a "trained sniper" and he would have a tough time hitting a moving target.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

mkm

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2012, 10:33:47 PM »
Sound advice, especially the avoidance and light parts.  I can give a second to his light recommendation.  I have a Surefire P2X Fury and really like it.  It's not one of my 2 primary edc's mainly because I'm more concerned about battery life in my edc.  I keep it in my bag of stuff that could be handy and often comes with me, at least to the truck.  It's a 15/500 lumen light.  Two things to consider about it if they are important to you: 1) you have to double tap/click to get the max output since the low lights first (not that big of deal to me) and 2) it is more of a flood light than a spot light (again, not a problem for my application).  My edc lights are both Surefires that I bought before the P2X.  The first is a 6PX pro.  It's essentially the exact same light as the P2X but with a 15/200 lumen led.  The second is a EB1 Backup.  I believe it's a 80/5 lumen (new ones are 100/5) with the max lighting first and a lense designed for throw.  It's probably my favorite light and rides clipped in my right pocket next to my knife. I swap the 6PX out for the P2X when I know I'm going to really dark places or in the woods, etc.  Since I've started carry a light daily, they have been some of the most useful things I carry.  I use them more than my pocket knives and can't imagine not carrying one now.

Nothing makes me happier then visualizing PETA pitted against other wild-eyed liberals.

That's probably my favorite quote out of the entire post.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 02:14:14 AM »

tombogan03884

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2012, 10:53:04 PM »
He was on CNN at some point.  I can't tell you the time, because it was on just for background noise in the office. 

One thing he said after the flashlight caught my attention and ticked me off.  He talked of a gun not being the answer, because he is a "trained sniper" and he would have a tough time hitting a moving target.

I don't know, or much care, what's on Communist News Network .
What is published under his name concerning guns is worth thinking about.

"Don’t lie there with your eyes closed and get shot. Think and move.  In these situations you have to take charge and get in the mindset of self-rescue. You cannot wait for first-responders – it takes too long. A good decision executed quickly is better than a great one never executed. Violence of action, as we call it in the Spec Ops community, will often change the odds in your favor.

For close quarter combat drills we’d draw a gun with someone over 20 feet away running at us.  In most cases you can be on someone before they can draw and take a shot.  I’m not advocating running straight at someone but if you have the tactical advantage (jam, re-loading, distraction or the shooter isn’t paying attention) then take the shooter down or get the hell out of there.  Remember that a moving target is extremely hard to hit, even for the well-trained shooter. Deal with the situation with your eyes wide open.

Concealed Carry

If you’re lucky enough to live in a state like Texas that not only allows concealed carry, but supports the use of deadly force, then train to use it.

Think seriously about whether it’s worth a Carry Concealed Weapon (CCW) permit  in states where you’re likely to get screwed by a jury if you use it.  Example: I can get a CCW in CA but I’m likely screwed if I shoot somebody........

Bottom line is that if you own a gun and have it as daily carry, you’d better rehearse your use scenarios both physically and mentally,

There are plenty of former Military and Law Enforcement that have great self-defense skills. Just vet your instructor carefully, ask for references and proof of service.   
"

The Blaze article also contained a comment about being the next Zimmerman.
Nothing there to get your panties in a bunch.

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 853
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2012, 09:55:38 PM »
True Tom, but what I quoted came right out of his mouth on whatever show that he was on.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2012, 07:09:15 AM »
Have to rethink my opinion of how valuable a light might be other than searching.  I have one that is kaput and haven't made fixing or replacing it a priority.  That will change.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

Ping

• Top Forum Member
  • Glock Certified Armorer & NRA Certified Instructor
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2012, 09:58:02 AM »
In places where I am not allowed to carry concealed, I always carry Sabre Pepper Spray and a flashlight. Also have a small Blade Tech knife that I keep in my pocket.

I agree with everything mentioned in the article. Makes sense. Just need to get people to listen and utilize the tips mentioned. Just as long as they do not take my seat where I can put my back against the wall and able to see the entrance/exit.

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2012, 10:09:54 AM »
In places where I am not allowed to carry concealed, I always carry Sabre Pepper Spray and a flashlight. Also have a small Blade Tech knife that I keep in my pocket.

I agree with everything mentioned in the article. Makes sense. Just need to get people to listen and utilize the tips mentioned. Just as long as they do not take my seat where I can put my back against the wall and able to see the entrance/exit.

When I was 16 I started choosing a seat where I could have my back to the wall and see the doors.

Often when being seated with a group, I'd ask the person who had taken my preferred seat to switch with me....  For some reason I didn't like heading to the table first, but went last...perhaps to not have folks following close behind me...

Folks I hung out with knew my preference and one time when I asked the girl who took the seat I preferred to switch the girl who had the seat  made a comment to the effect  "Why do you make such a big deal about having your back to the wall?".  I asked her "Having your back to the wall isn't a big deal to you?"  She answered  "Of course not".  To which I replied    "Good.  Scoot over then, thanks."
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk