Author Topic: Savage Arms .270 bolt action not grouping  (Read 7050 times)

tombogan03884

Re: Savage Arms .270 bolt action not grouping
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2012, 08:59:23 PM »
If the gun shot good the first 5 years it had to be something that happened, copper fouling, stock screws loosening, scope taken off and put back on wrong, or to tight, something along those lines.

Magoo541

• Bryan Munson
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2012, 12:54:44 PM »
Too add to what has already been mentioned, when you get it all sorted out and want to check the gun's accuracy try the Remington Core Loct.  I worked out at my club's annual Hunter Sight in days and had a number of 270s sight in on my line and all of them shot this well.  One guy had bought some of the high dollar Hornday 130 grain stuff and his rifle shot the Core Lokt better, say 1.75" vs 3" groups at 100 yards.

YMMV  ;)
He who dares wins.  SAS

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 873
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2012, 11:08:30 AM »
I know this could be more than a little late, but that has never stopped me  ;)

Savages are out of the box great shooters.  They are one of the things in life that surprise me when it comes to the rule of "you get what you pay for."  I have a few Savages, two packages with cheap scopes and one I set up on my own, and everyone of them has shot great since day one.

I would start with fundamental shooting:  Shooter and gun in exactly the same location on the bench and sandbags for every shot, hand position exactly the same for every shot, and procedure exactly the same for every shot.  I would then forget the three shot group and do a five shot group - I have seen what I thought was a flier on shot two or three, and then the next five shots all printed with the "flier."

Next I would move to the optics, as mentioned earlier, starting with rail, through rings, and ending with the scope itself.

Next would be the muzzle crown for damage.

Finally would be the chamber and bolt - This is a factory issue.

Did I mention starting with a good clean barrel with no fouling or corrosion?  Eight year old gun that goes south after six years leads to believe something happened to my above, but maintenance can be the obvious and overlooked item.

Hope it is all working out!

By the way, a gun that prints great on shots one and two will drop that deer, and a five inch group will drop a deer.  Not a reason to ignore, but we get worried about one hole groups at a hundred yards when we are shooting at an 8" target at 25 - 50 yards.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk