Author Topic: New to 'Black' rifles and the like...  (Read 26314 times)

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: New to 'Black' rifles and the like...
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2012, 03:03:19 PM »
if you are going to play the practical rifle gun games like 3gun... a 1-4 with an illuminated reticle and wide range of eye relief is the current go fast setup....if you want to spend more on the glass than the rifle , I really like my Trijicon TA31F with red chevron

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2012, 03:28:00 PM »
if you are going to play the practical rifle gun games like 3gun... a 1-4 with an illuminated reticle and wide range of eye relief is the current go fast setup....if you want to spend more on the glass than the rifle , I really like my Trijicon TA31F with red chevron
That's just 'cause you don't have a sportical with an eotech.........."Who said that"? ;D
FQ13

fatbaldguy

• Top Forum Member
  • Friends, don't let friends, shop Wal-Mart
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2012, 04:28:03 PM »
I'm leaning toward a DPMS LR in .308.  20+" bbl.  Optics are a lot different than when I last bought a scope for a squirrel rifle (early '80s).  I might have to go with 'iron' sights until I get up to speed on optics.  Do the DPMS have proprietary mags?  Eventually, I want to put several projectiles through small holes at long range.  Maybe shoot some long range steel too.

My last competitive shooting was with a .40 caliber flintlock rifle.  My military rifle was the M-14, so the M1A would be real familiar.

I know the .223 has some stopping power, I just think that the heavier bullet in the .308 is more better. 

I don't know as I want to play the 3gun games.  Gamers and speed demons can get under my skin if I ain't careful.
“It will be of little avail to the people that the laws are made by men of their own choice if the laws be so voluminous that they cannot be read, or so incoherent that they cannot be understood.”

James Madison

Timothy

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2012, 04:44:47 PM »
I'm not a black rifle guy so I won't comment on that!

If I had the money to do either, I'd go with a .30 caliber.  I'm a Navy guy!  The didn't trust us with small arms for the most part but I have tripped the light fandango with an M14, full tilt boogie, and it doesn't get much better than that!

My SIL has both an AR-15 platform and an AR-10 and I'd prefer the later over the former any day!

tombogan03884

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2012, 06:00:43 PM »
Armalite AR 10 uses proprietary mags.
As I understand it all the other .308 ARs take DPMS mags.
Edited to add that DPMS can use modified M1A magazines.

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 07:22:54 AM »

Timothy

« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2012, 06:18:39 PM »
Armalite AR 10 uses proprietary mags.
As I understand it all the other .308 ARs take DPMS mags.

As Michael found out!  Along with everything else...he probably spent two large on a rifle he could have bought assembled for 1200 bucks.

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1014
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2012, 06:31:27 PM »
If long-range (anything over 400yds) is the game, then I'd opt for the AR in .308....... even though many service rifle matches shoot the 5.56 at 600 yards.
With the .308, ammo is higher, especially if punching holes is the main game, but you do have much more in the power factor arena for things such ad hunting big game and bucking the wind at longer ranges.

*As a side note, my next purchase, pertaining to my own newly-acquired-first-AR, is a .300 AAC Blackout barrel, to be followed by parts to assemble a complete upper (as funds allow). After toying with a friends rifles in this caliber, and as ammo becomes more available, I like what it offers in the AR platform: short-to-mid-range .30 caliber, with a wide variety of bullet weight options, at both sub and super sonic velocities..... all in a standard AR package.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2012, 07:08:49 PM »
Do ask yourself what you have as a local range. Everything within a 5 hour drive here is 100 yards. Buying an 800 yard gun would be like buying a Ferrari to drive around down town Manhatten, you'll never get it out of second gear, if that. If you have access to a 1,000 yard range buy the .308. Otherwise, unless you are seriously planning for a SHTF rifle (not your stated goal), I think its a waste of money. You can buy 5.56 (happy Tim? ;D) , for a whole lot less per round, and I can hook you up with brand new USGI mags for less than $9 a throw. Try doing that with .308. If on the other hand, you are blessed with wide open spaces, go for it. Do bear in mind though, that in an HD scenario, .308 is kind of hard on the neighbors. The flip side is that with a 5 round mag, its a great deer rifle.
FQ13

Timothy

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2012, 07:17:03 PM »
Always Happy J...

You corrected your decimal point, I deleted my post!

;D

No need to beat a dead whore as they say!

8)

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1014
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2012, 07:31:29 PM »
No need to beat a dead whore as they say!

8)

Whores surely have it hard.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk