Author Topic: Getting a Cowboy Handgun? I need the experts.  (Read 6633 times)

Ksail101

• Airborne all the way!!!
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Getting a Cowboy Handgun? I need the experts.
« on: April 26, 2008, 08:46:04 AM »
I have wanted to get a single action revolver for as long as I can remember. Probably ever since I was kid running around with a plastic cap gun and one of those fake hard felt cowboy hats.

I really really like the Ruger Vaquero, I love it for its looks and don't know anything about it but what I have read. I want it in .45LC. Now if you have a better gun to get started with please chime in.

And getting this handgun in .45LC am I putting myself into a cornor with the ammo?Should I go for the .357 mag so I can use the .38 as well? Or does this not aply to a single handgun like these.

See I am really not experience with revolvers at all. And my knowelge in handguns is getting better, but I know what I have learned form the military and being in a war zone. Civilian choices is still new. And I was figuring this was a great way to get out and shoot and use a revolver so I can learn how they come apart and how to clean them an all that.

I want a lever-action cowboy long gun as well. I really like a 20in barrel, or carbine size. So I know this goes into another topic but if you want say something on this too.
Did we win???

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 573
Re: Getting a Cowboy Handgun? I need the experts.
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2008, 09:21:11 AM »
I have the old style Vaquero's but I really like the looks of the new style better because it's not so heavy duty.  The single action Colt would be my ultimate...but I can't afford it.  The Berretta Stampedes are nice and slick and finished really well....I used to think about getting one of those. 

However, to get a "real" gun now....I'd get a used new style Vaquero...that's right used.  Then I'd box the thing up and send it to Bob Munden with about $300 and would get something back that you can't touch off-the-shelf.  You may have to wait a bit....but he will set the sights to point of impact, fix the forcing cone, fix the trigger, fix the springs, etc..etc.  It will be a real gun then!  And...will have additional value down the road due to providence!
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

stavee

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2008, 09:48:12 AM »
Cimarron (uberti) make a revolver with dual cylinders, one for 45colt and the other for 45acp. Do all your practice with the acp (<$)
and compete with the Long colt.

Marshal Halloway

• Forum Administrator
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 28
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2008, 10:35:01 AM »
Here's my current list of favorite Single Actions:

Ruger New Vaquero. MSRP $640.00

The Smokewagon Deluxe Model(Taylor). This model was introduced last year and includes custom tuning; custom hammer and base pin springs; trigger-spring at three pounds; jig-cut, positive angles on all triggers and sears for crisp, reliable action; a coil-loaded hand; and wire bolt and trigger springs. MSRP: $575.00

USFA Rodeo For the rodeo I would suggest an action job from Long Hunter. MRSP: $625.00.

Marshal Halloway

• Forum Administrator
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 28
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2008, 11:13:41 AM »

Marshalette's cowboy guns are:

A pair of Taylor Island Girls (.38 Special)
1 Winchester 1873 (Taylor Model # 2012) in .357 Magnum
1 TTN Model 1897 12 guage Pump Shotgun

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 03:08:04 PM »

Ksail101

• Airborne all the way!!!
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2008, 09:58:56 AM »
Thank you everyone. I really will take everything into consideration.

Yeah I would like a Colt, but I am trying to keep it resonable in price and I want to shoot the snot out of it, and if I got the Colt I would shoot it once and wipe it off shoot it, and then clean it. Then hold it and look at. and look at it some more. LOL. It would just be too beautiful for me to do what I want with a Cowboy gun.

I really like your ideas of sending off a used Ruger Vaquero to a pistolsmith, maybe even the one you recomend since I dont know very many cowboy action smiths, and have it become a "real wheel gun."

I am posting a Follow-up in the rifle Topic
Did we win???

Majer

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2008, 07:12:20 PM »
Ksail, as far as Single Action revolvers go, Rugers are one of the best, They're built anvil strong and will last a couple lifetimes. As far as Gunsmiths go for a Ruger there is only one that I would recommend, That would be Wes Flowers (AKA West Fargo SASS#1910), He will make your Ruger into a work of art at a VERY reasonable price. You won't be disappointed with his work.Here is a link to his website
http://cas-town.com/WestFargoGunsmith/price.html
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - Jeff Cooper
Pericles--"Freedom is only for those who have the guts to defend it".

The problem with society today is that not enough of us drink wine from our enemies skulls”.

It takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile, and 3 for proper trigger squeeze.

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars!!!
-Sheriff Jim Wilson
"When tyranny becomes law rebellion becomes duty" Thomas Jefferson
Es gibt keine Notwendigkeit zu befürchten, Underdog hier ist.
Great nations rise and fall. The people go from bondage to spiritual truth, to great courage, from courage to liberty, from liberty to abundance, from abundance to selfishness, from selfishness to complacency, from complacency to apathy, from apathy to dependence, from dependence back again to bondage. Where are we now??????

WymoreWrangler

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2008, 11:23:21 AM »
I shoot opentops mostly, 1851RM Conversion and 1872 replics, but if you new to the game, I'd recommend the Ruger New Vaquero, and I'd go with the 38's, darn sight cheaper to reload than 45's...  And if your thinking about cowboy action shooting, you might start saving up for the other pistol and shotgun now also...

RichardX

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2008, 01:58:20 PM »
I have shot the crap out of a pair of Uberti Milleniums in .45 LC and of course everyone says these guns are no good but will not go down range when I have them in hand...
The Uberti 1873 Short Rifle in .45LC is great too
These were all intended to be starters to see if I would stay the course but now I see no need to change the Rugers are great and there many after market parts but do you really need the cylinder to go backwards?
I have waffled on shotguns now I have gone back to a '97 clone because I like it around the house...
Remember the spirit of CAS is/was to have fun and shoot!

MtnHermit

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2008, 02:58:46 PM »
Hi Ksail,

I found myself in a similar predicament several months back. I ended up ordering the SAA from U.S. Firearms. Knowing that tossing a lot of lead around would be expensive (45LC), I've set up my press for reloading for it. Then, when I couldn't wait for the USFA gun to come, I went out and got a Great Western II in 45. This can be had for around $400, but mine was case-color hardened and sports simulated ivory one piece grips ($599). It's great and I'm having a blast. I enjoy taking in the cowboy shoots, but I'm not really interested in participating. I just like shooting and hunting some with my revolvers. But if you think you might want to get into this sport, you'll want (eventually) two revolvers of the same make/model, and probably in /.38, though many shoot 45's.
You can't go wrong with the Rugers or USFA's rodeo though. But, the Great Western (www.emf-company.com) is another you might want to consider and ideally compare in person at your local dealer. Enjoy!

MtnHermit

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk