Author Topic: Doesn't Anyone Talk About Guns Anymore?  (Read 3638 times)

tombogan03884

Re: Doesn't Anyone Talk About Guns Anymore?
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2012, 07:46:47 PM »
Jay, you can polish up the existing triggers...I'm thinking the DD trigger should be okay and they're excellent base parts. If you decide to spend the bucks, get this one:

http://www.jprifles.com/1.4.8.1_ezt.php

Before you do, though, get that weird boron nitride hammer/sear grease for $4.95. Good stuff. Don't smear it on toast. Trust me on this.

Michael B

MB, is there an embarrassing story here ?
Or is your Sweetie still peeved about you storing it in the fridge ?  ;D

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member, DRTV Ranger, Guitar Player
    • Bluebone- Burnin' and Smokin'
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2012, 08:50:20 PM »
So I took this new Frankenmanster AR out to the range today. It was cold and windy but I had a fever.

Had one FTE, not sure what that was all about, but out of 70 rounds with a weapon I'd never fired before, I pretty much ignored it.

Iron sight with rear peep-hole, that ain't me, so I was experimenting, shooting from bench rest. Also not knowing much about 223 I was thinking somewhere there's an arc...

Started at 25 yds and fired 20 rounds. Was high, then was low, then wasn't bad, see below.

Zeroed in on it nicely.
Thought I'd have to adjust height at 50 yds so it took awhile, same thing though...the later rounds were the better except for the last 10 rounds offhand. See below.

I'm pretty much a lousy shot anyway, but I like this rifle. Loud as hell, but a soft shooter, and once I figured out there was no elevation change from 25 to 50 yds, I zeroed in on it pretty well.

I'm a happy boy!
I really do need an optic though for "quick" acquisition. I find when I first sight up I'm more often than not looking at one of the side bars on the front sight instead of the center. That might just take some practice though.
I got the blues as my companion.

www.bluebone.net

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2012, 09:24:54 PM »
Good for you! You'll learn to love it. My DPMS, first three out of the box shot a clover leaf at ten yards. I was doing the Snoopy dance. It was harder at 50, then at 100 it settled down. After a very few hundred rounds I am more that happy with the accuracy, and it beats my old mini-14 all hollow. I can put 5 inside a napkin off hand at 100 yards (the longest local range), and like you, I ain't Annie Oakley. Its a great platform and you have great components. Get a red dot as our eyes are too damn old for small peep sights. For combat effectiveness and speedy quick acquistion I would look at any of the eotech models. I'm not saying this out of brand loyalty, but just because their dot inside a circle makes it quick on target and you have the dot for more precise stuff. Me, I'm not so worried about the ten ring, but I do want to know that at 250 or so I can get the job done.

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 573
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2012, 10:11:07 PM »
Jay, you can polish up the existing triggers...I'm thinking the DD trigger should be okay and they're excellent base parts. If you decide to spend the bucks, get this one:

http://www.jprifles.com/1.4.8.1_ezt.php
Michael B

MB, have you had the chance to compare the JP trigger with the Wilson Combat trigger?

J, glad to see you have something you like! 
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member, DRTV Ranger, Guitar Player
    • Bluebone- Burnin' and Smokin'
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2012, 11:06:51 PM »
Rastus I'm glad you're glad...you're observations on that other build made me sit up with a woody when I heard about this one.
I got the blues as my companion.

www.bluebone.net

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 06:11:31 AM »

Timothy

« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2012, 08:09:46 AM »
Whatever you're planning to shoot at from 50-100 yards is going to die Jay!  Good 'nuf!

I'm a "if'n I can see it, I kin probably hit it!" kind of guy too.....a quick optic can help our tired old eyes as evidence on my SIL's AR last summer but irons will do as well.

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 573
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2012, 09:44:40 AM »
Rastus I'm glad you're glad...you're observations on that other build made me sit up with a woody when I heard about this one.

Glad to have been of service.  I hope nothing I said disappointed you when you got this little dish.
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

Jrlobo

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2012, 10:41:17 AM »
jaybet, I'm glad that you're glad. But chuckled at you aiming through the side bar of the front site. I did the same thing for two or three rounds at the range last month when I borrowed my son's RR. Shooter to my left never figured out why he got three bulls! Just braggin'...fibbin' actually. Don't own an AR myself, but was trained on an M4. Been awhile since that time (5 years), but really felt foolish when I made that classic mistake. Tom/MB, you pros all can stop laughing now.
Lobo

"Often in error, never in doubt!"

tombogan03884

« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2012, 10:54:43 AM »
swing the muzzle a tad and make sure you are using the center post until you get used to the visual difference between the post and the protective ears.
I never made that mistake with an AR but I have with an M-1 carbine.  ;D

Jrlobo

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2012, 07:14:24 PM »
Funny, I never did that with the M1, M1 carbine, or the M4. But, thanks for fessing up, Tom. repeat after me: a curved side post is not a center post...a curved...
Lobo

"Often in error, never in doubt!"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk