Author Topic: Has anyone ever used a Barrel Blank to rebarrel a rifle?  (Read 7447 times)

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 455
Re: Has anyone ever used a Barrel Blank to rebarrel a rifle?
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2012, 07:41:00 PM »
On a similar tangent.

I have been thinking about buying a cheap, pawn-shop rifle and building up a custom rifle.   I'm sure that there are some inexpensive,buggered up ones out there on the cheap.  And I would think that in all likelihood if anything is buggered up its the barrel.

So I buy a cheap 30-06 or 270 just for the action. Then replace the barrel and trigger to have a custom 7X57.

Which action is the easiest to swap the barrel?   A Savage 110?

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1046
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2012, 07:58:28 PM »
On a similar tangent.

I have been thinking about buying a cheap, pawn-shop rifle and building up a custom rifle.   I'm sure that there are some inexpensive,buggered up ones out there on the cheap.  And I would think that in all likelihood if anything is buggered up its the barrel.

So I buy a cheap 30-06 or 270 just for the action. Then replace the barrel and trigger to have a custom 7X57.

Which action is the easiest to swap the barrel?   A Savage 110?

IMHO, with the right tools, yes on the Savage.

My youngest son acquired a Savage 110 .270 in a trade, and told me I could use it to "play" with....... I'm thinking about a heavy 26-28 inch .30-06 when funds allow.
My best friend shoots F-Class Tactical (600 yd) matches all over the southeastern region, and one of the guys that also makes the circuit shoots Open class (1000 yd) with a custom .30-06. He likes a 1 1/4" barrel 28" long. He likes the '06 for the extra case capacity to take advantage of powder burn in the long barrel.

Also, a friend bought a complete .308 Shaw Barrel kit with wrenches and go/nogo gauges for around $200 and put it on an old long action Savage receiver (because the LA receiver was free). It was accurate enough that he used it (and won) some area matches with it.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

blackwolfe

• A Simple Man
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2012, 09:14:59 PM »
If you are going to start from scratch you might want to look at the 6.5 Creedmoor or one of the other 6.5 mm cartridges.  For some reason the 6.5 bullets and cartridges seem to have a lot of inherent accuracy.  IF I remember correctly I THINK the 6.5 Creedmoor is being used and doing well in F class.
Along the lines of Peg's friend the 6.5-.284 or the 6.5-.06 might fit the bill of a bigger case and powder burn.

I kind of like the old 6.5x55 SE, the Swedish Mauser.  Not sure why, it's only been around about 120 years.  Maybe it's the Bikini team. :)
"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. "    Abraham Lincoln

Wolfe

tombogan03884

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2012, 09:53:59 PM »
6.5 Swede is soft shooting and accurate.
If you want to build a bullseye rifle I have heard that the 6mm PPC is supposed to be the most accurate design possible .
Something about the sectional density making it as close to aerodynamically perfect as a bullet can be.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk