Author Topic: Poor Gun Law Administration  (Read 18283 times)

WatchManUSA

• NRA Life Member - Join the NRA!
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Poor Gun Law Administration
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2008, 11:32:32 AM »
Let’s keep this in perspective.  This is a permit to purchase handguns and black rifles.  It is not a CCW permit.  The permit processing comprises a background check to see if you meet the legal requirements to purchase handguns and black rifles.  A permit to purchase pre-qualifies the holder to purchase handguns and black rifles.

I can’t speak to the motivation of your Oakdale, MN Police Department regarding their attitude toward applicants for a permit to purchase. I do live in Minnesota and my local suburban Twin Cities Police Department says to allow 7 to 10 days because processing the permit to purchase permits is an administrative function.  They process all of them for the past week once a week.  So it is an issue of timing and US postal service.  When I turned in my last renewal of my permit to purchase I was given a dated, time stamped and signed receipt of application.

If you drop the permit off on Monday afternoon and they processes the previous week’s permits Monday morning, then you will wait seven days for the processing.  If they put the permit in the mail, like my local department does, then it may take one to two additional days for you to get the permit to purchase.  If the department admin person is sick on Monday or Monday is a holiday then the timing could get messed up by another day or two.  All this “delay” with no intent to cause the applicant harm.

Yes, they may not meet the letter of the law but as a tax payer and gun owner I don’t want them wasting money on administrative resources to process paperwork.  I would rather they put the money into putting officers on the street.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it and then misapplying the wrong remedies." (Groucho Marx)

tombogan03884

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2008, 12:07:43 PM »
Let’s keep this in perspective.  This is a permit to purchase handguns and black rifles.  It is not a CCW permit.  The permit processing comprises a background check to see if you meet the legal requirements to purchase handguns and black rifles.  A permit to purchase pre-qualifies the holder to purchase handguns and black rifles.

I can’t speak to the motivation of your Oakdale, MN Police Department regarding their attitude toward applicants for a permit to purchase. I do live in Minnesota and my local suburban Twin Cities Police Department says to allow 7 to 10 days because processing the permit to purchase permits is an administrative function.  They process all of them for the past week once a week.  So it is an issue of timing and US postal service.  When I turned in my last renewal of my permit to purchase I was given a dated, time stamped and signed receipt of application.

If you drop the permit off on Monday afternoon and they processes the previous week’s permits Monday morning, then you will wait seven days for the processing.  If they put the permit in the mail, like my local department does, then it may take one to two additional days for you to get the permit to purchase.  If the department admin person is sick on Monday or Monday is a holiday then the timing could get messed up by another day or two.  All this “delay” with no intent to cause the applicant harm.

Yes, they may not meet the letter of the law but as a tax payer and gun owner I don’t want them wasting money on administrative resources to process paperwork.  I would rather they put the money into putting officers on the street.

They are LAW ENFORCEMENT , paid for by OUR (Mn. residents) TAXES ! They BETTER  stick to the letter of the law. IT'S WHAT THEY ARE PAID FOR !

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 82
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2008, 12:54:59 PM »

Irrelevant. They are paid to enforce the law as tomboggan noted, and are not above it, even for an "administrative" function. "Administrative"? Interesting word to use for allowing someone to exercise their rights.

This is also a form of the arrogance and disrespect for civilians rampant in most police departments. And maybe, just for good measure, an indication of the incompetence and laziness of those in administrative positions, a sign that either the Chief is arrogant or incompetent at running the dept., setting priorities and the like. As a taxpayer, it should be absolutely unacceptable.

Once mward58 gets his pistol, I would still have a lawyer send a note to the MN AG's office - a note as in a formal complaint, especially if they do not comply with the law that is quoted on their website - right above the Brady link. Kinda gives you a clue as to their thinking, right?
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

tombogan03884

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2008, 03:41:35 PM »
They are LAW ENFORCEMENT , paid for by OUR (Mn. residents) TAXES ! They BETTER  stick to the letter of the law. IT'S WHAT THEY ARE PAID FOR !

Napolean said it best," There are NO bad Regiments, only bad Generals." The adherence to the letter of the RULES and general conduct of individuals from  any group, good or bad, is a reflection of the Leaders of that group.
For a bad example look at New Orleans PD, A Mayor and Police cheif with no regard for State or Federal law are reflected in a generally lawless group of Police Officers who either abandoned thier responsibility, or participated in the looting by stealing firearms from law abiding citizens at gun point. I do not have a GOOD example, the GOOD Police forces, (the majority) do not make the news, but we all have a Dept. in our area that people speak well of and they, like our Veterans, deserve our respect and thanks.

mward58

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2008, 03:45:07 PM »
Finally received my permit to purchase late Fri. afternoon. I wrote an email to NRAILA letting them know of the situation in Minnesota. Got a response right away and the HQ states they have informed their local lobbyists in Minnesota. Thank you all for your support. P. S. Picked up my S & W  686. Cleaned it up and it looks near mint!

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 10:24:50 PM »

tombogan03884

« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2008, 03:53:18 PM »
Finally received my permit to purchase late Fri. afternoon. I wrote an email to NRAILA letting them know of the situation in Minnesota. Got a response right away and the HQ states they have informed their local lobbyists in Minnesota. Thank you all for your support. P. S. Picked up my S & W  686. Cleaned it up and it looks near mint!

Enjoy ! ;D

WatchManUSA

• NRA Life Member - Join the NRA!
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2008, 06:07:37 PM »
I'm glad you got your permit to purchase.  Just curious, how long did it take from the time you dropped it off until you received it?

Let’s get real here; not every missed date is an affront to the 2nd amendment.  Laws are selectively enforced on a continual basis.  Most of time when law enforcement turns a blind eye to the letter of the law it is to our advantage.  Imagine if for one week the police enforced every law to the letter!  My how we would complain!

What if you got a speeding ticket every time you drove one mile per hour over the posted speed limit?  What about all those times you came to a rolling stop at a stop sign or speeded up on a yellow light to try and make it through an intersection but the light went red before you made it through?

So, yes perhaps the Oakdale police missed the seven days limit.  We don’t know the circumstances and we don’t know what their intent.  Now, if the Oakdale police have a pattern of dragging their feet on all applications then they should be investigated and held to task.  However, to get the Minnesota AG involved (who happens to be a liberal) is counter productive.

Perhaps, mward58, you should call the Oakdale Chief of Police and ask what happened before you have our liberal Minnesota AG sticking her nose into the Oakdale Police department.  Don’t you think the Chief deserves the right to answer your question before you go over his or her head?  Perhaps you might cut the Chief some slack just like the when the police do not stop you every time you may not live up to the letter of the law.

But for some of you to get all hot and indignant and comparing the Oakdale Police to situation in New Orleans and Mayor Ray Nagin is over the top, in my opinion.

To say, “They are LAW ENFORCEMENT , paid for by OUR (Mn. residents) TAXES ! They BETTER  stick to the letter of the law. IT'S WHAT THEY ARE PAID FOR!” would require law enforcement never to use their situational best judgment in enforcement of the law.  We would have a “non-tolerance policy” toward everything.  I really don’t think that would be in our best interest and, if you take the time to think about it,  I don’t think you do either.

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it and then misapplying the wrong remedies." (Groucho Marx)

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 573
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2008, 08:08:55 PM »
Every now and then is no big deal.  Every administration has an issue or people sick, on vacation whatever.  What I interpreted was an administrative policy or practice knowingly contrary to law.  And not just dragging feet about some administrative type law but a right granted by the 2nd Ammendment.  If it costs more, ask for funding.....lots of luck there.

Most politicians cry for taxes for police, firefighters, and teachers.  Taxes are passed because we all want these people to be fairly compensated.  Many states and municipalities have asked for dedicated funds because, they slyly say, there is not enough to go around in the general fund.  So...we agree to tax ourselves...then they reduce the general fund by more playing the game of backdoor funding for their pet projects.  More for police, firefighters, roads and teachers......it never seems to be enough, eh?  Only because the real purpose for that tax was to divert money from the general fund to a pet project by freeing up funds that should have been going to police, firefighters, and teachers....how do you think they fund those projects you would never approve?

Democracy costs more than other forms of government.  If there is a policy by the enforcers to not follow the law that is morraly corrupt and we are on a slippery slope.....take a look at international history if you don't recognize the dangers when local, state or federal enforcement disregards law.   Sure the good guys can do it "OK" and be "fair"....but then who are the good guys....those who enforce the law or those who follow the law (morally good laws, not perverted laws saying, for example, kill every newborn son)?
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

tombogan03884

« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2008, 09:26:20 PM »
Every now and then is no big deal.  Every administration has an issue or people sick, on vacation whatever.  What I interpreted was an administrative policy or practice knowingly contrary to law.  And not just dragging feet about some administrative type law but a right granted by the 2nd Ammendment.  If it costs more, ask for funding.....lots of luck there.

Most politicians cry for taxes for police, firefighters, and teachers.  Taxes are passed because we all want these people to be fairly compensated.  Many states and municipalities have asked for dedicated funds because, they slyly say, there is not enough to go around in the general fund.  So...we agree to tax ourselves...then they reduce the general fund by more playing the game of backdoor funding for their pet projects.  More for police, firefighters, roads and teachers......it never seems to be enough, eh?  Only because the real purpose for that tax was to divert money from the general fund to a pet project by freeing up funds that should have been going to police, firefighters, and teachers....how do you think they fund those projects you would never approve?

Democracy costs more than other forms of government.  If there is a policy by the enforcers to not follow the law that is morraly corrupt and we are on a slippery slope.....take a look at international history if you don't recognize the dangers when local, state or federal enforcement disregards law.   Sure the good guys can do it "OK" and be "fair"....but then who are the good guys....those who enforce the law or those who follow the law (morally good laws, not perverted laws saying, for example, kill every newborn son)?

Very well said.

TexGun

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2008, 09:47:11 PM »
I  have one thing to add..."permit to purchase"?  What a load of cr@#!  Isn't that what the "instant" backgorund check at the point of sale is for?  I'm glad I live in a state where I don't have to deal with that.  Bless you for your patience.

One more thing, the Texas Deparment of Public Safety, the agancy that processes the CCW applications, is swamped and has had to add additional staff to handel a 39% increase in applications since the beginning of the year.  I guess folks down here have caught a clue about what's likely coming after the November elections.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk