Author Topic: A message from Alabama, to Dick Durbin..  (Read 5614 times)

santahog

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
A message from Alabama, to Dick Durbin..
« on: August 22, 2013, 11:44:05 PM »
Pretty straight forward response from the Governor of Alabama to Durbin, over his attempt to extort "Stand Your Ground" from the Law in AL.

http://www.ago.state.al.us/News-371

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

August 22, 2013
JOINT STATEMENT BY ATTORNEY GENERAL LUTHER STRANGE
AND ALABAMA POLICY INSTITUTE PRESIDENT GARY PALMER
Regarding the Efforts of U.S. Senator Dick Durbin to Target the
Alabama Policy Institute with Respect to “Stand Your Ground” laws.

(MONTGOMERY and BIRMINGHAM) – Today Attorney General Luther Strange and Alabama Policy Institute (API) President Gary Palmer addressed API’s recent receipt of a letter from U.S. Senator Dick Durbin (D-IL) that inquired about API’s relationship with the American Legislative Exchange Council and asked whether API supports “stand your ground” legislation.  This request infringes upon API’s constitutional right to free association.

In 1958, the U.S. Supreme Court recognized “the vital relationship between freedom to associate and privacy in one's associations” and addressed behavior of this very sort, stating that “t is hardly a novel perception that compelled disclosure of affiliation with groups engaged in advocacy may constitute . . . a restraint on freedom of association. . . .”  Both the Attorney General’s Office and the Alabama Policy Institute value the right to free association and the constitutional protection this right provides from harassment or intimidation.

“The emerging trend of Washington officials targeting conservative groups in Alabama is both disturbing and unacceptable,” Strange said.  “My office will stand with Alabama organizations like the Wetumpka Tea Party and the Alabama Policy Institute against viewpoint discrimination and political intimidation by the federal government.”

“The Alabama Policy Institute recognizes Senator Durbin’s constitutionally-protected right to hold his policy positions and associate with those who agree.” Palmer noted.  “API and the more than 300 other organizations targeted by Senator Durbin have the same right as we continue to promote and defend our nation’s founding principles against those who consider our Constitution to be a hindrance to their grand agendas.”

With respect to “stand your ground” legislation, Alabama law protects the right of an individual to use deadly force in self-defense or in defense of another without a duty to retreat when the individual is not engaged in unlawful activity and is in a place where he or she has the right to be.[ii]  The U.S. Supreme Court has also held “the inherent right of self-defense” to be “central to the Second Amendment right [to bear arms].”[iii]

“While I understand that Senator Durbin is interested in self-defense laws, including the ‘stand your ground’ laws found in a majority of the states, they are a matter of state authority under the Tenth Amendment,” said Strange. “My office is prepared to defend the laws of our state from any unconstitutional federal intrusion that improperly limits the rights of Alabamians to keep and bear arms.”

- See more at: http://www.ago.state.al.us/News-371#sthash.yAZY94Mj.EW4gRDVC.dpuf
With friends like these, who needs hallucinations!..

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
Re: A message from Alabama, to Dick Durbin..
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 01:10:38 PM »
Yeah but wouldn't "Pound sand" have saved a lot of ink?   ;D ;D
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

Jrlobo

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 05:12:09 PM »
Actually, Solus, I was thinking more along the lines of something a little less politically correct: "Eat my shorts, turkey!"
Lobo

"Often in error, never in doubt!"

tombogan03884

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2013, 05:23:13 PM »
Why do you think they call Durbin "Dick".
IIRC his name is Albert .  ;D

fatbaldguy

• Top Forum Member
  • Friends, don't let friends, shop Wal-Mart
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2013, 09:56:05 AM »
I would have sent the letter back with a noisome brown stain down the center of it.  I would have informed him that the letter was used for the intended purpose, now the disposal of above mentioned letter, is up to him.
“It will be of little avail to the people that the laws are made by men of their own choice if the laws be so voluminous that they cannot be read, or so incoherent that they cannot be understood.”

James Madison

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 12:20:07 AM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk