Author Topic: 2A rights under attack in Missouri  (Read 2816 times)

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
2A rights under attack in Missouri
« on: July 21, 2008, 07:10:22 AM »
Trio Of Million Mom Marchers

by Don Corrigan
Columnist

July 18, 2008
Three area women who took part in Million Mom Marches (MMM) against gun violence are putting their convictions to the test in this year's races for the state legislature.

All of them have a respect for the Second Amendment, although they put the emphasis on "well-regulated" in the Constitutional wording. All are unhappy with the 5-4 U.S. Supreme Court decision in June, which they contend promotes the availability of weapons over the safety of people.

These state candidates said they're confident voters also are unhappy — even angry – that the pendulum has swung too far in a direction of unregulated gun availability. They point to gun carnage from Virginia Tech to closer to home to make their case.

"I became furious when our state legislators tried to ignore the people's vote in 1999 against concealed weapons," said Stacey Newman, who is running in House District 73, which takes in northeast Webster Groves.

"I helped form the local chapter of the Million Mom March and began lobbying in Jefferson City against the concealed weapons," said Newman. "Quickly we saw who was supporting the NRA and who was interested in protecting lives."

In the process of lobbying and marching with MMM, Newman met up with Jeanne Kirkton and Jill Schupp. Kirkton is running for state office in the 91st District and Schupp is running in the 82nd District.

Together, the trio would represent a big chunk of St. Louis County – a chunk heavily opposed to conceal and carry in the statewide vote which the legislators then invalidated.

"The gun lobby always paints me as rabidly anti-gun, even though I own a rifle," said Kirkton of Webster Groves. "I suspect the majority of my community agrees with me on having sensible gun laws."

Kirkton said she is appalled at the legislature's passage of the so-called Castle Doctrine, which loosens permit requirements on handgun purchases. She holds up news clips of stories in the state that can make one shudder.

In Cape Girardeau, the police caught a convicted sex offender driving around with a stun gun, a loaded gun and magazines of ammunition. They had to let him go because under Missouri law, he was within state law regarding convicted felons and guns.

Schupp, who hails from the Creve Coeur area, is proud to march with Kirkton and Newman in the state legislative races. She began focusing on gun law issues after her brother survived the deadly shooting spree at the Clayton Courthouse 15 years ago.

"Standing up for one's beliefs is the way to make a difference," declared Schupp. "I took one of my young sons, to march on the Capitol against gun violence and for common sense gun laws. I wanted to show him that people can take responsibility and join together to make positive change."

http://www.websterkirkwoodtimes.com/Articles-i-2008-07-18-78330.113117_Trio_Of_Million_Mom_Marchers.html
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

CurrieS103

• NRA Life Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
Re: 2A rights under attack in Missouri
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 07:49:30 AM »
Once again...Guns kill people, people don't kill people.  Next, MMM will be joining MADD to get cars off the road to resolve drunk driving.  Puberty will be next to resolve teen pregnancy...etc :-X
Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty teeth and keystone under independence. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference. - George Washington

Bidah

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2008, 09:44:19 AM »
One step forward, four steps back..

Ban bicycles for anyone under 21, vehicles outside of commercial interests, and swimming pools.. that should do it.

-Bidah
“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.”  The Doctor

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2008, 10:58:28 AM »
If the MMM really get all they want, the show me state will all but nullify a CCW. As far as felons and firearms, that is on Missouri legislature, most states ban felons from firearms, some their right to vote as well. (Here in NC).

The anti's are stepping up, we better be ready also.
According to their logic,...:
If I get in a traffic accident with a Peterbilt truck, I want the trucking company that manufactured the truck held responsible for making such a dangerous vehicle.

I feel a headache coming on,..... :P
Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

tt11758

• Noolis bastardis carborundum (Don't let the bastards wear you down)
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger ~
    • 10-Ring Firearms Training
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2008, 02:02:09 PM »
Trio Of Million Mom Marchers

by Don Corrigan
Columnist

July 18, 2008
Three area women who took part in Million Mom Marches (MMM) against gun violence are putting their convictions to the test in this year's races for the state legislature.

All of them have a respect for the Second Amendment, although they put the emphasis on "well-regulated" in the Constitutional wording. All are unhappy with the 5-4 U.S. Supreme Court decision in June, which they contend promotes the availability of weapons over the safety of people.

These state candidates said they're confident voters also are unhappy — even angry – that the pendulum has swung too far in a direction of unregulated gun availability. They point to gun carnage from Virginia Tech to closer to home to make their case.

"I became furious when our state legislators tried to ignore the people's vote in 1999 against concealed weapons," said Stacey Newman, who is running in House District 73, which takes in northeast Webster Groves.

"I helped form the local chapter of the Million Mom March and began lobbying in Jefferson City against the concealed weapons," said Newman. "Quickly we saw who was supporting the NRA and who was interested in protecting lives."

In the process of lobbying and marching with MMM, Newman met up with Jeanne Kirkton and Jill Schupp. Kirkton is running for state office in the 91st District and Schupp is running in the 82nd District.

Together, the trio would represent a big chunk of St. Louis County – a chunk heavily opposed to conceal and carry in the statewide vote which the legislators then invalidated.

"The gun lobby always paints me as rabidly anti-gun, even though I own a rifle," said Kirkton of Webster Groves. "I suspect the majority of my community agrees with me on having sensible gun laws."

Kirkton said she is appalled at the legislature's passage of the so-called Castle Doctrine, which loosens permit requirements on handgun purchases. She holds up news clips of stories in the state that can make one shudder.

In Cape Girardeau, the police caught a convicted sex offender driving around with a stun gun, a loaded gun and magazines of ammunition. They had to let him go because under Missouri law, he was within state law regarding convicted felons and guns.

Schupp, who hails from the Creve Coeur area, is proud to march with Kirkton and Newman in the state legislative races. She began focusing on gun law issues after her brother survived the deadly shooting spree at the Clayton Courthouse 15 years ago.

"Standing up for one's beliefs is the way to make a difference," declared Schupp. "I took one of my young sons, to march on the Capitol against gun violence and for common sense gun laws. I wanted to show him that people can take responsibility and join together to make positive change."

http://www.websterkirkwoodtimes.com/Articles-i-2008-07-18-78330.113117_Trio_Of_Million_Mom_Marchers.html

Where do I send a campaign contribution to this lady's competitor?

I love waking up every morning knowing that Donald Trump is President!!

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 02:37:08 AM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk