Author Topic: Where IS Your SD Gun?  (Read 5422 times)

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1030
Where IS Your SD Gun?
« on: May 12, 2014, 03:50:57 PM »
Good article from Sheriff Jim Wilson on carry consistency (concerning gun placement):

Where’s The Gun?
http://www.shootingillustrated.com/index.php/31565/wheres-the-gun/

FTA:
My friend Bill was the elected sheriff of a rural county along the Rio Grande, in southwest Texas.  He usually wore a cartridge belt and a Smith & Wesson .357 Mag. on his right hip. On the particular day that he was asked to check out a stranger who was camped in a rancher’s pasture, Bill must not have been expecting trouble. Instead of his gunbelt, he just picked up a small semi-automatic and stuck it in his waistband, crossdraw-style.

As Bill approached, the stranger spun to face him and started blazing away with a .38 Spl. revolver. Bill was hit in the chest and the thigh. And he went to the ground clawing at his right hip for the gun that wasn’t there.

---------------

More at link

"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
Re: Where IS Your SD Gun?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 04:09:05 PM »
Currently my right hip
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

tombogan03884

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 04:46:00 PM »
Always in the same place.
ALWAYS.

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2014, 06:12:32 PM »
Same place....

Don't wear clothes that would require me to carry anyplace else...but then, I don't get out much  :D

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1030
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2014, 12:59:32 PM »
Always in the same place.
ALWAYS.

Yep.

The only time mine isn't on my right hip.....it is on my night stand...and always oriented in the same way on the night stand, so if I need it in the night, I can find it in the dark (same with my flashlight and knife....and everything else, for that matter).

"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 10:53:49 AM »

tombogan03884

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2014, 03:43:21 PM »
Yep.

The only time mine isn't on my right hip.....it is on my night stand...and always oriented in the same way on the night stand, so if I need it in the night, I can find it in the dark (same with my flashlight and knife....and everything else, for that matter).

Ayuh !   ;D

vincewarde

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2014, 04:07:35 PM »
I was pleased to see that the author recognized that for some of us, carrying the same gun in the same place just isn't practical.  That said, he makes a very good point.  Under stress the best we can hope for is to live up to our training.  Years ago, when I taught CPR, I spent more time on the initial reaction and assessment of the victim than anything else.  Why?  Simple, if I could drill that reaction into my students, chances are that's how they would react in a real medical emergency - and if they did the assessment, chances are they will actually do what is needed.  Same principle applies here.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk