Author Topic: Broom Handle Mauser 1896  (Read 7665 times)

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 453
Broom Handle Mauser 1896
« on: August 10, 2014, 04:43:53 PM »
Another winner.   Another show I was going to fast forward through.  I mean an ugly gun from late 19th century.  Ho hum.

BUT, I didn't know what an important milestone in pistol development it was.  Not how neatly made;  1 pin and 1 screw in the whole thing.   I'd love one just to take apart and study.

VERY COOL. 

Just so happens if anybody wants one, Rock Island Auction has one on the block this coming September.  Just a hair more than I want to pay, so I'll leave it up one of you DRTV readers to win this one.

Briefly, a Presentation piece to Porfirio Diaz the former President of Mexico. This pistol  ultimately acquired by the famed publisher Robert E. Petersen with whom it resided for some years. [text lifted from auction posting]

FULL DESCRIPTION:
This is an exceptional example of a very early 1896 Cone Hammer Mauser pistol that was a Presentation piece to Porfirio Diaz the former President of Mexico. Porfirio Diaz was one of Mexico's most famous and well liked presidents and his two tenures in office spanned over 30+ years (1876-1911). During this time he was heavily involved in Mexico's acquisition of some of the most advanced, "State of the Art" weapons from around the world. This Mauser pistol fits that description well. This pistol reportedly originally was in the possession of the family of a well known Mexican collector since before WWII and was ultimately acquired by the famed publisher Robert E. Petersen with whom it resided for some years. On the left side of the pistol in the center milled frame panel is a raised, dime size, circular area with a sculptured outer edge with the Raised "Gold" intertwined initials "PD" of Porfirio Diaz with light relief cuts across the face of the initials. The background has been grooved or lightly stippled to also highlight the initials. The balance of the pistol itself is engraved in a very nice, delicate, tight circular English, Bank Note scroll pattern with a matching border around all the engraving, which covers approximately 65-75% of the pistols total surface area. These areas include, the front and sides of the magazine well, the milled panel areas on both sides, the floor plate, bottom area of the trigger guard and the front and rear sections of the upper receiver. With a very fine engraved decorative border on the front and rear grip straps. The pistol itself is a desirable antique "Cone Hammer" variation with the deep milled panels on each side. The top of the chamber area is marked "WAFFENFABRIK MAUSER OBERNDORF, A/N". The right side has the early "Ulm" Antlered proof mark and the left side of the upper receiver has the "Crown/U" proof mark. The rear sight has the early 50-500 meter markings with the fixed front sight. It also has the early dovetail firing pin retainer block at the rear of the bolt and the early style Cone Hammer. The grips are the standard Mauser versions with 22 grooves on each side with a lanyard ring on the bottom of the grip. The top of the barrel is engraved "Gustav Weidner Plauen I/V" (the significance unknown). It has the correct and matching combination wooden holster/shoulder stock. The attaching iron is correctly stamped with the matching serial number of the pistol (11542) running correctly, perpendicular to the stock iron. It is complete with an original French style Prewar Mauser factory leather presentation case that is chamois-lined. The case is complete with three leather cartridge boxes and three empty prewar DWM marked ammo boxes that would have held 20 rounds in each box and a standard Mauser wooden handled cleaning rod. The Mauser case and ammo boxes are very similar to those pictured in "The Broomhandle Pistol" book by Ericksen and Pate on pages 197 and the top left and right corners of page 272 respectively.

http://www.rockislandauction.com/viewitem/aid/62/lid/1486
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
Re: Broom Handle Mauser 1896
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2014, 06:11:32 PM »
That has two more zeros then I can aford right now.   :( 

Otherwise I would buy it in a heart beat.   Just remodeled the master bath= broke .   :o
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

mortdooley

• The U.S. Constitution poses no serious threat to our form of government..
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 04:06:34 PM »
The ammo used looks just like the berdin primed tokerev surplus I have for a CZ52. Isn't the pressure too high for a broomhandle?
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.”

- – Voltaire

You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them.--Ray Bradbury

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 09:17:14 PM »
I'm not up on ammo, but the boxes in the case look like they belong.  Old, cardboard and all. 

Besides, who's going to actually shoot this gun anyway? 
Will work for ammo

mortdooley

• The U.S. Constitution poses no serious threat to our form of government..
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 06:53:17 AM »
Who, that would be me! During the early 1990's thousands of C-96 and Bolos were imported from China and sold for rock bottom prices. These were all made in Germany during the time before WW2 and sold to the Chinese Government.

I bought one at a Houston Gun Show for $100 during the 90's and later picked up a second one for my son for $150 at another gun show.  After I had shot 2 boxes of surplus Tokerev ammo I read and heard it was too hot for these antiques. The ammo in the overhead shots showing the action function is the same color as the Brown Bear I have in .380 and I haven't heard of any 30 mauser coming out of Russia.

Today I take 556 brass that the necks have split and cut them down, lube inside and out and resize with 30 mauser dies. I use cast .32 caliber bullets over a charge of bullseye or unique powder and use G.I. stripper clips to load it up.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.”

- – Voltaire

You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them.--Ray Bradbury

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 08:58:12 PM »

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2014, 07:41:37 PM »
That's cool, Matt.  I'm sure you have to be careful with many of the older designs.  Sounds like you're really into Broomhandles.

I was just referring to this particular collectible, which shouldn't be shot regardless of the ammo.
Will work for ammo

Bic

• Top Forum Member
  • It's just a pen name...
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2014, 05:54:36 PM »
Best Wishes, Mike.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk