Author Topic: What Are Your Hopes ...  (Read 5411 times)

Timothy

Re: What Are Your Hopes ...
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2014, 05:53:23 PM »
With all that said about scent, I'll say this:  When the rut is in peak, all bets are off and everything we're told about scent this or that goes out the window.  They have one thing on their mind, consequences be damned.

I can second that...  The last time I hunted white tail was in the 70's in north central Michigan, rifle season was November 15-30, the height of the rut in most years.

We didn't bath, use doe piss, use calls, rattle or anything.  We smoked in our ground blinds (no tree hunting in rifle season then), chewed tobacco, peed and pooped right outside the blind, made noise, wore blaze orange and damn near anything we could do to unintentionally spook the deer population.  I was not a die hard deer hunter by any means.  Quite the contrary, I could have cared less if I shot a buck!  Doe hunting was very rare season by season.

I hunted on my uncles property of about 600-800 acres with all eight of my cousins, my brothers, Pop and Uncle Mike and year after year we all managed to bring down bucks.

All bets are off in the rut.  A blind squirrel with a high powered rifle could shoot a buck with little education on the matter.

I don't hunt deer anymore but every time I go to Bass Pro this time of year, guys are spending thousands of dollars on the latest crap they've been convinced to buy.  Good for Bass Pro but like fishing lures, some catch more fisherman than fish!

I can buy venison in a nearby town.  It's much cheaper and a lot less work..

;)

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2014, 07:04:28 PM »
I hopes I hit the Mega Millions!

Richard

PS:  Yes, I did buy a ticket....more than one in fact!
Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 454
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2014, 07:08:53 AM »
It's finally starting to cool off here, and my last day of work before I retire will be the weekend of January 2, 3, and 4. After that, I'm a free man for the rest of my life. I'm really looking forward to it! It's really going to be nice having every day of my life from here on in to be my own.

I'm fully reloaded and stocked up, and I'll be spending a lot of time at the range this Winter. I've got a few things to do around the house, and we haven't really decided if we want to stay here for the long haul, or move back to the Colorado River area. Lake Havasu City, or maybe Ft. Mohave. I love it there, but hate the idea of moving. Perhaps I'll get a stronger desire to do it after I'm off for a while. Anyway, whichever we decide, we'll have all the time in the world to do it.

I'm thinking of joining my clubs High Power Team. I just don't know if I want to commit myself to a regimented shooting schedule again. I really like to just show up when I want, and shoot what I feel like on any given day. Again, we'll see. I hope my retirement doesn't go as fast as my working career seemed to. I remember when we moved to Arizona back in 1991. I was only 39 years old. It seemed like it was only a couple of years ago. As they say, time flies when you're having fun!

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 453
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2014, 07:47:56 AM »
Speaking of the Mega-Millions ($250 of them this Tuesday),  just bragging on son #2.  He's done a number of commercials for the Ga Lottery and here's two of popular ones.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRDVJZ2CpV0&list=UUgDDMzjnZzTukHeq5LTmbjQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_ySbEormS0

Yes, dad is proud.  I mean it pays his bills.   Also if you ever see Cartoon Network's mascots (the letters "C" and "N"), he's the letter "N".

I just hope he keeps getting booked for commercial gigs in the coming new year.

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

tombogan03884

« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2014, 08:53:06 AM »
  Also if you ever see Cartoon Network's mascots (the letters "C" and "N"), he's the letter "N".

Wow Alf, Pretty soon he'll be sponsoring his own episode of Sesame Street !    ;D

Sponsor

« Reply #25 on: Today at 11:21:49 PM »

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2014, 06:42:37 PM »
Guess my hopes weren't realized!  Guess I'll try again Tuesday!

Richard
Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk