Author Topic: Speed Drills  (Read 4059 times)

JC5123

• Top Forum Member
  • Fortune sides with him who dares.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Speed Drills
« on: February 10, 2015, 12:47:17 PM »
Went out Sunday with only my carry gun. (This never happens but I wanted no excuses not to train ONLY with that one.) So I was doing speed drills to see where I was at as far as responding to stimulus.

First Drill very simple: Draw from concealment and fire one round. (Must be in the A zone or doesn't count)
Using a 25 yd pistol bull at 7 yards. Average time was 1.5 - 1.75 seconds.

Next I changed it up. Only one round in the gun so after the first shot, I went to slide lock, prompting a reload. Again, draw from concealment, fire one round, then reload and fire a second round. Average time 5.5 seconds.

Grouping was about 3 inches with a Springfield EMP in .40 cal.

Anything you guys would do different?

I am a member of my nation's chosen soldiery.
God grant that I may not be found wanting,
that I will not fail this sacred trust.

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 447
Re: Speed Drills
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2015, 04:33:38 PM »
Time for single shot to A zone sounds good, especially from concealment. 

I get as many magazines as I can muster and put 2 in each mag.  Gives you a real work out on mag changes.   Don't really take timings on that drill.

I also have a bad batch of ammo (don't ask) that's strong enough to throw the round down range but not enough to cycle the slide.   I mix it about 2/10 with good ammo load up as many mags as I have,  then work on the tap-rack drill.   Shooting up all the mags as quickly as I can.   You loose round count, so part of it is recognizing you're at slide lock. 

When I'm working with revolvers, then for fun  (that and I fantasize about being the second coming of JM), I do a six shot speed drill.   Usually 4 times.  Must keep it on 8x11 paper at 3 yards.   Working towards <0.9. Not there yet.   

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

JC5123

• Top Forum Member
  • Fortune sides with him who dares.
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2015, 09:12:47 AM »
It's not really practical when you are working alone, but when I'm with others we load each others magazines and toss in snap caps at random. You never know if or when you are going to get one, but after awhile, the response to a click becomes pretty automatic. (which is the whole idea)
I am a member of my nation's chosen soldiery.
God grant that I may not be found wanting,
that I will not fail this sacred trust.

Strider

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2015, 10:23:44 PM »
Sounds solid to me. Here is my carry(off duty) drill. At 7 yrds,, From concealment, draw and fire 2 rounds in the "A" zone at 1.5 seconds or less. Second, loaded mag with 1 round, draw ,fire, reaload and re-engage with1 round in 5 seconds or less.
Semper Fi

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk