Author Topic: Home Solar Power ??  (Read 14259 times)

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 454
Home Solar Power ??
« on: June 01, 2015, 10:13:00 AM »
I talked to a guy I used to work with over the weekend. He told me he just paid $39,000.00 to have his home "converted" to solar power. Of that $39,000.00, the government only gave him a $9,000.00 credit. It still cost him $30,000.00 out of pocket. He seems to think he'll get it all back, and then some. But I just don't see how.

His house is about the same size as mine, and my worst electric bill in the dead of Summer runs around $250.00 a month. And we don't sweat. We keep the thermostat at 79 in the day, and 78 at night. In the Winter it's sometimes as low as $75.00 a month, and that includes running my pool pump.

$30K buys one hell of a lot of electricity, even at today's high rates. I didn't say anything, but I just don't see how you can make out on a deal like that. Not to mention one big hailstorm and it's game over for your roof mounted solar panels. And from what I understand, most homeowners insurance plans don't cover that kind of damage. I think in the future when the technology gets better, and the panels put out more juice and last longer it might pay off. But not now. Not at those prices. Do you guys know anyone who has it and is getting their money back?

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
Re: Home Solar Power ??
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2015, 11:47:41 AM »
You never do, even with the tax credits,  which go away in 2017.   So you have all these companies selling stuff only becuase the tax credits make it look good.  What do you think is going to happen to those companies? 

I have spent 1000s of hours on this subject, even opened a energy auditing company to give people real world data....

Long story short, unless you live in a area in the southern us, have a perfect set up, can use the 1 time only tax credit, have 300+ days of sun shine, are willing to do the adustments, cleaning and have high power bills....it is a joke.

Basicly if you live in san Diego(or near by)    you will never see a dime.   If nothing breaks, and you take 3%  power cost inflation(which is several times higher then national average)  panel degradation and loan costs, it is about 17 years pay off.  All of the components have a 15-25 year service life.   

Its a legal racket, set up for short term gains...for the installers.

Feel free to pm me if you have any questions.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2015, 12:19:36 PM »
You are pretty much parroting a lot of what I've heard over the years. It's a lot like religion. If it was all so wonderful, they wouldn't have to go door to door to sell it. Even out here in the desert, I'd never pay that kind of money. Not to mention it makes your house look like $h!t.

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2015, 12:25:52 PM »
like most green things, its bs.   the way it is installed too will make you cringe, lets say roofers and solar installers don't get along.   CA is going to implement solar installers own sub lic.    the highest claim rate is pool contractors,  solar is getting close.  that is why pool guys have different rules and different reqs.

want to do something green that will save the planet and money that you can do ever day?

many of us already do it..... pee in the shower.

PS really if anyone here is interested in solar, PM me... I will be more then happy to go over the pros and cons with some actual real world data, not marketing hype.  I always recommend highering a 3rd party to do a energy audit on your house... you know some one that is not trying to sell you something, just selling the audit service.

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2015, 12:32:43 PM »
want to do something green that will save the planet and money that you can do ever day? many of us already do it..... pee in the shower.

Beat you to it. I've been doing it for decades!   ;D

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 07:54:50 AM »

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2015, 12:36:30 PM »
just try to get your wife to do it....   ;)

get your mind out of the gutter,  you don't want it getting wet like that

:P

JC5123

• Top Forum Member
  • Fortune sides with him who dares.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2015, 12:45:25 PM »
I am slowly converting my house to all solar. Saving money has nothing to do with my reasoning. As it is with many that I talk to.

#1 is my own piece of mind. Where I live, if I lose power for any significant amount of time, I AM SCREWED. No heat, No Water. My household comes to a grinding halt. And with a family and livestock to care for, this is not an option.

#2 is the idea of not being reliant on someone else to provide power for my house. Right now I have a very limited system. I placed the water pump for my well on it's own solar power ( backed up by a generator), and replaced one of my pellet stoves with a wood burning stove. This means that my 2 most crucial needs are met. Heat and water. Even if the power goes out I can use wood to heat and I still have water.

A person can survive a long time out of a well stocked pantry and his own means if he's willing to be self sufficient. If it costs 40,000 to not have to rely on someone else to provide something that I can do myself, I'll gladly pay it. For me, what it comes down to is self reliance and security. Can you really put a price on that?
I am a member of my nation's chosen soldiery.
God grant that I may not be found wanting,
that I will not fail this sacred trust.

tombogan03884

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2015, 12:48:24 PM »
I notice the solar powered plane flying around the world keeps getting delayed.
Solar power is practical if A you plan on it right from the design stage, B you only consider it for back up, and C you are doing it to lessen logistic burdens rather than to save money since equipment will wear out quicker than it will pay for itself.

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2015, 01:04:43 PM »
I am slowly converting my house to all solar. Saving money has nothing to do with my reasoning. As it is with many that I talk to.

#1 is my own piece of mind. Where I live, if I lose power for any significant amount of time, I AM SCREWED. No heat, No Water. My household comes to a grinding halt. And with a family and livestock to care for, this is not an option.

#2 is the idea of not being reliant on someone else to provide power for my house. Right now I have a very limited system. I placed the water pump for my well on it's own solar power ( backed up by a generator), and replaced one of my pellet stoves with a wood burning stove. This means that my 2 most crucial needs are met. Heat and water. Even if the power goes out I can use wood to heat and I still have water.

A person can survive a long time out of a well stocked pantry and his own means if he's willing to be self sufficient. If it costs 40,000 to not have to rely on someone else to provide something that I can do myself, I'll gladly pay it. For me, what it comes down to is self reliance and security. Can you really put a price on that?

if I was building out in the country I would look hard at a all solar house, just do to the cost of bringing power in.  I have built several all solar cabins over the years.  solar is also a good choice for things that run on dc( some well pumps.)  as you remove the inverter which is a major loss in efficiency.  it is also a major failure point.  I would highly recommend running a duel inverter system.  yes it adds to the cost, but that one time it fails and you are with out power waiting on parts/service it is worth it.   even if its 2 smaller units that only run half your system, that with a switch is a great thing.   

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2015, 01:06:27 PM »
I notice the solar powered plane flying around the world keeps getting delayed.
Solar power is practical if A you plan on it right from the design stage, B you only consider it for back up, and C you are doing it to lessen logistic burdens rather than to save money since equipment will wear out quicker than it will pay for itself.

the most advanced solar plant in the world is in spain, ran a billon over budget, had half the budget put up by the government and still can't make a profit.   I  think that says it all. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk