Author Topic: Home Solar Power ??  (Read 14151 times)

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 447
Re: Home Solar Power ??
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2022, 08:28:31 PM »
That’s saving money.  It’s why I leased a Leaf for 2 years.  With fed and state rebates and charging at work, I saved a ton.
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 563
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2022, 08:32:56 PM »
I'm a 4, 3 and 5 in that order. 

Larger wattage draws like your pool pump are the issue.  That sort of thing requires an all in commitment.

I think your freezer/refrigerator idea may fly.  I was surprised to see how little power they need when sourcing their power with gasoline generators.  Good luck with the washer and dryer project.  Just offhand that seems pretty intense so keep up posted on that. 

I'm wanting to supply WiFi all around the property here and I'm thinking some of those smaller solar generators (battery packs with dc-ac inverters) with solar panels may fit the bill by powering bridges and/or mesh access points.  That's my on tap solar project for next year.
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2022, 08:42:12 AM »
They already make solar powered wifi extenders.   Look into the farming supply stores.   Most new farm tracking/productivity/ equipment  uses some type of connection to the net.   While the bigger stuff uses cellar, the smaller stuff uses wifi.  I installed one of these with thier hub2t.  It was about $ 900 total.  Supposed to be good for up to half a mile.  https://ayrstone.com/www/product/solar-and-battery-power-system-hub2t/

I can't speak for how long it lasts, but at my place I can pick up signal at my mail box, which is about 800 yards away from the pole.( as the crow flys.)
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

Rastus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2022, 09:22:04 AM »
Thanks for the link.  It looked good at first and then I started peeling back the onion.  Here's the manufacturer's link they provided:  https://www.tyconsystems.com/rppl1248-36-35

I saw they couched that the solar may not work all the time in northern winters.  So...they have a 35 watt solar panel.  Hmmm. 

Next they have a 36 amp hour battery to support the system.  They keep everything DC voltage. 

So, what I have been looking at are panels with solar generators and then an off-the-shelf outdoor mesh/access point system.  This link shows a 80 amp hour and 100 watt panel that converts to AC for $300
https://www.amazon.com/Enginstar-Portable-Power-Station-Solar/dp/B093T7T7ZQ which is 3X the solar panel and 2X the battery. 

Here's the mesh/access point I'm looking into at $140 
https://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-Networks-UAP-AC-M-US-Wide-Area-Dual-Band/dp/B076B4ZVF2/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=mesh+access+point&qid=1660486104&sr=8-3 .  Of course now I'd need a suitable enclosure and a POE for about $25 to make this work.  All in all it's a bit cheaper and more capable getting the individual components but you gotta put it all together so it's not as slick as buying one that you can just stick in the ground.  Plus with the do-it-yourself you have an AC source available which I plan to utilize with a GMRS radio sitting in a charger in the enclosure for emergency coms. 

However...800 yards is pretty dang good and that may settle it.  I only get about 300 yards straight out and 175 yards to the side with the access points I use now
https://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-EAP110-Outdoor-Wireless-Installation-Controller/dp/B07RTYZ9ZG/ref=sr_1_14?crid=3AGFPO7Q8TB8J&keywords=tp+link+access+point&qid=1660486530&refinements=p_36%3A1253504011&rnid=386442011&s=electronics&sprefix=tp+link+access+point%2Caps%2C73&sr=1-14 .  I'm going to go ahead with the Ubiquiti access point above for the other side of the house and see how it works.  If I don't get near that 800 yard mark the choice won't be too hard.  I need that kind of range to cover the property with 4 remotes....400 yards would mean dead spots or employing 6-8 units...quite a cost difference.

As an aside, right now I'm using a Ubiquiti nanobeam Gen 2 bridge to bring the fiber optic internet from one house to the other.  It's been working flawlessly for over a year and a half now.  For the first year it was satellite internet...which is poor at best.  Now it's hooked to the fiber optic internet.  I have never had to reboot or reprogram or power down and up to keep the nanobeam bridge online and it's always had super quality performance.  It's good for I think 450 mbs which is faster than the 100 mbs service I have.  I'm running a router and an access point at the remote house and we watch a couple of prime shows simultaneously and surf the net with no problems. 

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2022, 09:40:54 AM »
Per thier specs it only use 4 watts of power. Thats only .167 amp hours power usage.    Even if you make it .5 ah that is still 3 days with no sun. Granted you probably won't be out in that kind of weather and the cold will kill a lot of power.  It was what I could get at cal ranch( local farm store) so it is what I bought.    It has been about 9 months no issues.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

Sponsor

« Reply #35 on: Today at 01:13:15 AM »

Rastus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2022, 05:51:47 PM »
9 months is a good run to not have nit picking problems. 

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2022, 11:07:32 AM »
GOOD NEWS:

-Discussing this project further with sons and figured out how we can do our own installation of the solar panels.
-The new pork-filled Inflation Reduction Act, like or not, will increase the solar incentive to 30%, currently at 23%.
-Not getting firm numbers on power consumption for some appliances, I bought the cheap "Kill-a-Watt" watt meter so I can monitor the freezer and fridge to determine the exact usage.    Only problem with this meter is it resets when you unplug it.  Got to remember to record the numbers.

BAD NEWS:

-Taking a day off to go shooting and sitting down and rerunning the numbers, it's not as optimistic as I had hoped.  With the 30% rebate it's just under 9 year payback.  Of course what you're buying is also some backup power.  At this point I'm considering putting in a much larger inverter than I need for future upgrade to solar cells and batteries.

Will work for ammo

Rastus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2022, 05:39:30 PM »
Shooting isn't a bad day!!!

Number crunching can be.  9 year payout.  Well that is disappointing to the point of high suckology.  Especially for us old folks who are of "that" age.  How does the rebate work?  I haven't installed significant solar backup power but when I build that will be a part of the expense.  I'm guessing keep the propane heat in place and use solar to run the furnace...and fridge, etc.

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2022, 09:16:21 PM »
It’s a non-refundable tax rebate.  You take it as credit against your federal income tax.  If perchance you don’t owe enough taxes to use the entire rebate you can roll over the remainder till the next year. 
Will work for ammo

Rastus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2022, 10:30:30 PM »
Does it come off the tax itself or the base you calculate the tax on? 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk