Author Topic: Ruger Precision Rifle  (Read 2901 times)

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 453
Ruger Precision Rifle
« on: July 18, 2015, 10:04:00 AM »
Count me as somewhat disappointed. 

This is a kinda-like, takes-some-parts-from, sorta-resembles-an-AR bolt rifle.   What would have been neater would have been a bolt action upper that mounts on AR lowers.

Several people have done bolt actions on AR platforms, but most are either custom or very expensive.  Why not one that comes in with lower for <$1,000

Initial pundits seem enamored that Ruger is using standard off the shelf AR magazines.   The only other part  that seems AR compatible is the stock. 

One of the most innovative new features is the magazine well. It accepts both AI magazines (which latch on the side) and M110/DPMS/SR25/Magpul magazines which latch behind. I have criticized Ruger before for inventing magazines and making us pay far too much for them but in this rifle they give us more magazine choice than any bolt action rifle that has come before it. The rifle is supplied with two 10-round Magpul PMAG magazines. - See more at: http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015/07/18/ruger-precision-rifle-high-end-almost-ar/#sthash.gQLh6J7p.dpuf

Why not make all parts, except the upper receiver and BCG, compatible.  Provide a gas block block, so that existing AR barrels can be used.  Sell two versions; an AR10 version for .308 family and AR15 version for .223 family.  For the first couple of months only sell complete rifles, then make barreled uppers available separately.  Later in product life start selling the unbarreled uppers with BCG.

That's my two cents.
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

tombogan03884

Re: Ruger Precision Rifle
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2015, 12:40:40 PM »
To bad they couldn't do a semi auto, like several other companies have had since the last century.

Strider

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2015, 10:02:39 PM »
Valid evaluations. However, We now have an out of the box rifle that shoots 3/4 minute with a good chassis and is reasonably priced. what is the problem??
Semper Fi

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 453
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2015, 05:51:39 AM »
There are others, they just look like traditional rifles.

It just that they came so close it's a shame they didn't go all the way to a true AR modular design.
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

tombogan03884

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2015, 06:19:16 AM »
Strider, It's the hype. No doubt it's a good enough rifle, but it isn't up to the breathless hype. 3/4 MOA big deal, Savage  and T/ CA been delivering better than that out of the box for decades, for less money.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 08:37:48 AM »

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 873
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2015, 12:35:37 PM »
There are others, they just look like traditional rifles.

It just that they came so close it's a shame they didn't go all the way to a true AR modular design.

Why do exactly what everyone else is doing?  For the life of me, I cannot understand why we have so many companies manufacturing the exact same item.  Many of them come with the same off the shelf parts.  I would rather have Ruger do what they did then to have them duplicate everyone else.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk