Author Topic: Gabe Suarez Newsletter -- The Knife in Counter Terrorism  (Read 11272 times)

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 573
Gabe Suarez Newsletter -- The Knife in Counter Terrorism
« on: August 02, 2016, 06:11:42 AM »
I know some of you guys get Gabe's newsletter.  He speaks about stabbing as opposed to slashing and the effectiveness of ruthless intent.  I know he's right but it really sucks that our nation's politicians have put us at the point where we need to consider these things in our daily lives.

Regardless, Gabe brought up a couple more good points that rung true with me.  One is that you can often bring a knife places where a gun can't go and that a fixed blade is better than a folder.  I keep a folder with me because I don't have a good pair of cowboy books to wear to keep a double edged dagger concealed.

Do any of you guys conceal fixed blades and how do you carry them?
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1030
Re: Gabe Suarez Newsletter -- The Knife in Counter Terrorism
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2016, 12:01:40 PM »
In addition to the 3" folding Gerber (20+ years old, from back when Gerber blades were good) that clips in my right front pocket, I have a 2 1/2" fixed blade Cold Steel Tanto that I wear suspended from my neck via GI dog-tag chain.

I seldom tuck a shirt in (CCW in play) except on Sunday mornings, so I can retrieve the knife pretty quickly from under a t-shirt. If wearing a button-up shirt, I can easily retrieve it from between the top shirt and under shirt.

I am considering one of those "ink pen shaped" stabbing tools to carry in a shirt pocket as well.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 453
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2016, 06:37:30 AM »
When I wear my boots out I have a fixed blade.   Am considering what PegLeg is doing with a necklace carry.

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1085
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2016, 02:22:13 PM »
I bought 2 Cold Steel Para Edge neck knives with tanto blades. The blade is 3" total with 2-1/2" being sharpened. One is still NIB and I wore the other one very little. The sheath doesn't hold the knife very tight and it can fall out. It's sharp and the handle is long enough to be useful. Now they make a similar knife with a 2" blade called the Super Edge. It's not very intimidating but it is legal here. The state won't let me carry a more effective defensive knife than one with a 3" blade. The Pendleton Mini Hunter would fit that category nicely. The handle is longer than the blade and should afford a good grip.

https://www.coldsteel.com/products/fixed-blades/super-edge.html

https://www.coldsteel.com/products/fixed-blades/pendleton-mini-hunter.html
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2016, 03:53:38 PM »
Bill Bagwell used to write for Solider of Fortune Magazine about knife fighting.  He favored large knives. 

Here is a video of Bagwell demonstrating a bit of fighting. 

Interestingly, he is carrying a knife with 12" blade concealed.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 01:01:14 PM »

PegLeg45

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2016, 12:37:04 PM »
I'd like to see him try to sit down with that thing down his pants. I have a fixed blade knife with a 4" blade and a belt sheath that I seldom carry because it becomes cumbersome when sitting....and it's on the outside of my pants.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2016, 10:30:42 PM »
the only place I really go that I can't take my gun I also can't take my knife.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

PegLeg45

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2016, 10:39:14 AM »
the only place I really go that I can't take my gun I also can't take my knife.

Same here....... courthouse and county admin building.....they installed metal detectors after a new law went into effect two years ago (allowing carry in any municipal building without detectors) and they have a deputy manning it. If court is in session, not even a leatherman tool is allowed. If court is not in session, he'll let you slide on a knife if you are just going in to buy car tags.

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 573
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2016, 10:17:02 AM »
Jumbo I like this one from Cold Steel.  Methinks my middle son has made off with it though:
https://www.coldsteel.com/safe-maker-ii.html
I also like the Counter Tac:
https://www.coldsteel.com/counter-tac-i.html
I believe middle son has that one too.

I have a really good double edged blade like the Counter Tac in wood handle without the blood groove I got in Branson at Silver Dollar City.  I use it for a boot knive..

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1085
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2016, 06:47:33 PM »
Those are good looking knives Rastus but double edge fixed blade knives are a no-no in Michigan. I have no idea why but they're illegal to carry. A double edge folding knife would be okay as long as it's not over a 3" blade.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk