Author Topic: A little mod for the Hornady LnL  (Read 8337 times)

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 447
A little mod for the Hornady LnL
« on: September 15, 2016, 07:35:00 AM »
No piece of equipment is perfect.   That goes for reloading presses as well.

One little bug with the Hornady LnL Progressive has to do with powder measure.   For whatever reason it seems to want to turn in the press, just ever so slightly with each operation.  None of the other dies do this, just the measure.    I've tried putting an extra shim under the rubber gasket but that didn't help.  Over the course of 100 rounds the measure will eventually come out of the press.  It doesn't fall, just pops up.  You twist it back in, dump the powder in the current shell and keep going.  Not a catastrophe.   If just reach up after 50 rounds and rotate it back, no problem but it's a nit I wanted to fix.

So, of course coming up with some type of lock was my solution.  First I had to have something to lock onto.   I took an LnL die holder, and using the Michael Bane dreaded Dremel tool with a tiny routing bit, made slots at 6  possible positions.   The first one is a little rough, but the others came out almost perfect.    The red marks are a visual depth guide.  All done free hand, except the location of each slot with was marked in the press.

Then, using the MBDDT with a small drill bit, I made a hole in the press's LnL holder.  Again by hand.

Then, amongst the many seemly random Allen wrenches that one seems to collect, I cut one off and stuck it in the hole.  Voila!  Problem solved.

I'll take the locking ring and turn it down a tad so it doesn't bind with the "key".  ("turn it down" is a phrase meaning I'll stand at my 1" belt sander and manually file it down by hand.)    I may cut the key down a little shorter, maybe even drill the hole a little deeper.   We'll see how this on my next reloading sessions.   Instead of a dedicated key, I could just use this as a storage place for one that actually goes with the press/dies.

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

tombogan03884

Re: A little mod for the Hornady LnL
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2016, 07:52:10 AM »
Wouldn't a dab of Loc-tite have solved it  ?

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1014
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2016, 12:24:51 PM »

Probably not...the part that won't stay locked in is a twist-lock bushing (sort of like locking lugs on a rifle) that the die screws into.
If I'm understanding the problem correctly, after so many cycles of the press, the bushing rotates out of its locked position.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2016, 04:55:36 PM »
If I'm understanding the problem correctly, after so many cycles of the press, the bushing rotates out of its locked position

Yes.

No, you want to be able to twist it and remove the measure.  That's the whole point to the LnL system.

Will work for ammo

tombogan03884

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2016, 06:02:47 AM »
Forgot about that little detail.   ;D

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 05:56:12 AM »

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2016, 03:16:50 PM »
They need to make a lock-ring with a little clamping lever

Flip it down it grips, flip it up, it's loose.
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

vincewarde

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2016, 01:10:13 AM »
Progressive presses are complicated things and most have some kind of buggy part.  My Lee Loadmaster works great - except for the priming mechanism which basically hardly works at all.  My solution, and that of many other Loadmaster users, is simply to prime off the press.  When I get home from the range I decap all my brass, clean and polish, then reprime.  When I have a few thousand empties I cast up some bullets and load a few thousand rounds.  So, realistically, I have a semi-progressive press :)

tombogan03884

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2016, 05:56:59 AM »
Semi progressive ? Is that like the Boner and McConnell of reloading presses ?

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2016, 07:34:21 AM »
So, realistically, I have a semi-progressive press :)

I do 9mm in two steps.  First run them through the press with just the resizing die so I can chamber check them.  Then run them through again to complete the process.
Will work for ammo

blueeyephil

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2016, 07:42:51 PM »
I've thought of doing something like that myself. But I'd really it to come that way.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk