Author Topic: Spare mag Bullet forward or back.  (Read 11183 times)

nosimij

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Spare mag Bullet forward or back.
« on: October 10, 2016, 11:57:50 AM »

"Reloads are to be stored on the belt bullets forward".  This is what we are all told. 

I do not understand that. It does not feel natural. I also challenge that it is any savings of effort.  I am not trying to start a 9mm vs 45 fight.  Moderator if this is that kind of topic please delete this those argument do not help anyone, but I actually want to understand why what works for me is "wrong".

However lets compare the hand position required to get to the index finger on the nose of the leading bullet.  For me to get there I have to chicken wing my left elbow out from my body. Rotate from shoulder to wrist to get the finger knuckles of my hand next to my body.  As I move my elbow vertically to extract the mag the elbow moves ever further out to the side then the wrist rotates horizontally.  It then comes into view where it can be inserted into the mag well.

A mag removal and insertion from a bullet rearward the hand drops straight to the belt or sweeps just as by dominant hand does for the weapon.  Grasp the mag with the thumb near body and fingers the index finger aligns to the first bullet.  I then from the shoulder rotate the hand into view with the bullet facing forward as my hand sweeps up into the mag well as the hand enters my "workspace".

Again the question is what am I missing/doing wrong. I still do not understand how the uncomfortable position, side load to the elbow and small motor rotation can be more efficient than the same or a very similar process to drawing the weapon. 

I am talking week side belt mag pouch and I am not by any means an expert. Please reply with any details available.

To my knowledge everyone is training forward or forward if you do not have a preference.

Thank you

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
Re: Spare mag Bullet forward or back.
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2016, 12:09:03 PM »
Getting your index finger on the point of the top bullet in the magazine is the goal.

Orient your magazines in the carrier to facilitate your doing this quickly and securely.
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

tombogan03884

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2016, 12:32:12 PM »
I presume this is some kind of competition rule, otherwise it sounds like BS.
Carry them in the position that is most natural for pulling, (from the holder) and pushing (into the mag well)

bulldog75

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2016, 12:39:49 PM »
Agree with Tom on this. What is most natural and when you practice it enough times it will become muscle memory. 
Citizens sleep peacfully at night knowing that rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf - George Orwell

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 868
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2016, 02:20:01 PM »
My feeling, defense or competition, is to go with what works best for you.  To TomB, there is no competition rule that I'm aware of that dictates cartridge orientation.  To the original post, after reading over and over, are you carrying with the magazine up or down?
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 03:57:54 PM »

mkm

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2016, 02:41:50 PM »
Moderator, what's that? :)

I carry bullets down and facing the rear. It works best for me. I agree with the guys above. Do what's best for you. The whole "you must do it a certain way" thought is silly (competition aside). If it works well for you, do it. Someone may get weird looks if he's pulling them from his hat, but he shouldn't be questioned if it works well for him. If someone is doing everything wrong but hitting the target, don't interfere.

Bidah

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2016, 04:44:43 PM »
Neither, I carry mine bullets out.  :o

Ok, that is my competition rig that I do that.  Although I am now used to it enough, I need to find a maker that will make a concealment rig for that too.  Right now, my CCW rig is bullets forward.  If you find it works best for you going bullets back, then carry it that way.
“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.”  The Doctor

Timothy

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2016, 05:29:42 PM »
If it works and works safely, do what works. 

I pull mags out of my pocket quick enuf and somehow, the opposable thumbs of me ape hands manage to get the mag in the well pointy end forward! 

LOL

GASPASSERDELUXE

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2016, 07:13:19 PM »
Being a low speed hi drag type of shooter I carry them down and facing back.

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 567
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2016, 09:04:41 PM »
<snip> I am not trying to start a 9mm vs 45 fight.  Moderator if this is that kind of topic please delete this those argument do not help anyone, but I actually want to understand why what works for me is "wrong".<snip>

Moderator?  HAR HAR Matey, there be no moderator here!   8)

Uh, unless you know who shows up and puts us in the corner.  I don't think she's around though....you never know though....
But I haven't seen her here in a long time.....keep an eye out though...

I like it oriented so that when I pull the mag my index finger is on the bullet nose side.  That keeps my hand oriented without breaking my wrist so long as the bullets on my side are facing forward.  I pull the mag out and the bullet noses are facing forward as I install the mag in the mag well. 

https://youtu.be/baeFT5Avrx8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baeFT5Avrx8

Hopefully one of those will link a video.  Phil Strader has the fastest reload I've ever seen on video or in person.  Check out which way he was oriented to make his reload...if you can see it..!!!!  His index finger is on the bullet side. 

This is not to say you put your index finger on the actual first bullet nose.  It goes on the mag below that...for me anyway.
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk