Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1088
Re: Jargon
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2017, 12:25:19 AM »
After I posted that I realized it was incomplete.

This REMF learned MOS 45B in AIT at USAOC&S APG.

But I thought it used to be USAO&CC&S or something a little bit longer like that. The first "&" probably didn't belong there. USAOCC&S maybe.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

tombogan03884

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2017, 06:10:47 AM »
And let's not forget the always popular FUBAR.

My AIT was at USAOC&S.

PS: I was a REMF and liked it.  :D

It's OK as lon as it's not your own mother.

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2017, 08:12:28 AM »
as Timothy commented, we used to get messages to and from SIGINT (signals intelligence) capable ships (I was USAFSS) from the Navy... with address groups like

Fm  COMPACNAVSECGRU
To   NAVSECGRUDETSTAPHIL

Ichiban

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2017, 09:01:31 AM »
I remember seeing a DICNAVAB (dictionary of Naval abbreviations) in the commissary in a previous lifetime.  It even had the term "WestPac widow" in it.

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1030
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2017, 11:28:52 AM »
While we're ranting about jargon, one overused term that peeves me to no end is "platform" to refer to a weapon, as in, "This is the new Ruger Scout Rifle platform."
It's just a rifle.....call it a rifle.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 07:39:28 PM »

tombogan03884

« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2017, 01:01:02 PM »
While we're ranting about jargon, one overused term that peeves me to no end is "platform" to refer to a weapon, as in, "This is the new Ruger Scout Rifle platform."
It's just a rifle.....call it a rifle.

Considering all the crap they hang on guns nowadays they are less "platforms" Nd more like "pallet's" or "loading docks".

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1088
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2017, 01:35:01 PM »
I've been thinking about it a lot since last night and when I was at APG I remember people calling it the US army ordnance and chemical center and school. I could swear it was USAOCC&S but when I searched online I could only find USAOC&S with one "C", not two. Tomorrow is 37 years to the day I got my diploma for small arms repair and it says on it US Army Ordnance Center & School. I just can't believe I was wrong about the name of the place for so many years. Somewhere in my "office" I have a picture of me sitting on the hood of my SUV wearing a school T-shirt but don't think it would have enough resolution to see what it says.

I also looked up some of the MOS's we had in the armament section. If I can remember right from last night 45K which was tank turret repair is something else now and 45L which was artillery repair no longer exists and part of it is now included with 45B. I can't remember what the MOS code for fire control instrument repair or laser/TTS repair were.

MOS 45B AIT USAOC&S APG, MD USA.  ;D
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 453
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2017, 02:22:46 PM »
One that stuck with me was NRTS  (Not Repairable This Station).   

We of course used a "U" instead of an "R"  most of the time.

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

tombogan03884

« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2017, 12:31:11 PM »
I've been thinking about it a lot since last night and when I was at APG I remember people calling it the US army ordnance and chemical center and school. I could swear it was USAOCC&S but when I searched online I could only find USAOC&S with one "C", not two. Tomorrow is 37 years to the day I got my diploma for small arms repair and it says on it US Army Ordnance Center & School. I just can't believe I was wrong about the name of the place for so many years. Somewhere in my "office" I have a picture of me sitting on the hood of my SUV wearing a school T-shirt but don't think it would have enough resolution to see what it says.

I also looked up some of the MOS's we had in the armament section. If I can remember right from last night 45K which was tank turret repair is something else now and 45L which was artillery repair no longer exists and part of it is now included with 45B. I can't remember what the MOS code for fire control instrument repair or laser/TTS repair were.

MOS 45B AIT USAOC&S APG, MD USA.  ;D

No body talks about chemical any more.
Because chemical weapons, unlike 1000 pound bombs, do terrible things to anybody in the area
A Hellfire missile from several thousand feet is much more humane.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk