Author Topic: 1911 thumb safety on slide?  (Read 2481 times)

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1085
1911 thumb safety on slide?
« on: May 30, 2017, 06:27:32 PM »
I saw something online today that looked like a 1911 with a thumb safety on the slide. I'm not sure if it was a real gun or a toy. Has anyone ever made a 1911 with a thumb safety on the slide?
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 872
Re: 1911 thumb safety on slide?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2017, 10:17:28 PM »
I am not an expert on 1911's, but I play one on here:. I have never seen one in print, a store, or a museum.  I have also never heard anyone talk about one.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2017, 10:19:28 PM »
could it be a S&W 745?... not many were made

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1085
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2017, 10:58:23 PM »
could it be a S&W 745?... not many were made

After looking at some more S&W pictures I think it was a 4506. There was only one picture and the only part of the frame that wasn't covered up by the guy's hands was the dust cover. The left side of the slide looked just like a 1911 except for the safety. The rear sight looks like an adjustable one with protective ears on the side. I couldn't see the grip at all or I think I would have figured it out. I looked at some S&W pictures earlier because I thought they used to have pistols with the safety on the slide but I didn't know what model to look for and couldn't find it.

http://breakingbad.wikia.com/wiki/Smith_%26_Wesson_4500_pistol_series
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

tombogan03884

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2017, 06:18:12 AM »
1911 thumb safety can't be slide mounted , it won't locck the slide if it's mounted on it .

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 04:38:19 PM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk