Author Topic: Remington R-1 10mm hunter 6" LS (continued)  (Read 2748 times)

robert69

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Remington R-1 10mm hunter 6" LS (continued)
« on: September 26, 2018, 12:10:49 AM »
Well, here I am again with comments and results with the R-1 Hunter in 10mm.
As I previously stated my problems, I was finally able to adjust the extractor to the proper tension, but only after really modifying it.  After all of my work (I will explain what I did), I have come to the conclusion that the original Remington extractor (?) would not/could not work because of its design.
(If you compare their extractor design to all the others, you can see the difference).  First of all, the slide slot where the extractor is held in position is out of spec, which positions the extractor too far forward. When I sent the pistol back to Remington, explaining the problem, they did NOT fix it. Their answer was to replace the extractor with the exact original extractor.  Anyway, after trying 3 different extractors, I settled on the Ed Brown, and proceeded to modify it.  The Brown extractor is of the usual design, with a raised surface in the center where you can bend/form it to adjust the tension on the case.  I could not achieve this because it appears that the extractor at the tip was being held away from the case because of the thickness of the extractor. So, with careful use of a small flat file, I removed some of the metal from the extractor, just to the rear of the hook. There is a raised portion just below the hook, and that is where it was removed (It took several times to get the correct thickness.  I was then able to adjust the tension on the case rim to proper specifications to hold a loaded round against the face of the slide.  The next problem was that the hook was too long, in that it would gouge the case just forward of the extractor, when the pistol was fired.  So, I carefully removed a small amount of metal from the front of the hook, reshaping the hook, and finishing it with 600 grit cloth.
I fired the pistol last Wednesday, and it looks like all is well. The fired cases now stay close by (not 20 feet away), the gouged case problem is corrected, and the problem of failure to return to battery was found to be a magazine problem.  Actually I have 3 magazines that seem to have problems, 2 of which are Remingtons.  On another site there were comments about the slide locking open because the slide latch was being bumped by a loaded round. My pistol did that early on, but I replaced the latch with a Ed Brown version, and corrected that.  I put the original slide latch in just to test it again, and it promptly failed, and locked open.  So I know that was that problem.
The pistol shoots decently accurate, But I can still beat it with my tuned up Glock 40 MOS.
The loads I shoot are Hornady 180 grain XTP or HAP, with 13.2 grains AA9 at 1276 fps,
or 10.5 grains AA7 at 1196 fps, chronoed with a Labradar.
So I guess I will hang on to the pistol for awhile, and do some more load testing.
BUT, I would not recommend the R-1 hunter LS in 10mm. There are several other pistols that work,
like my Glock 40, but I have an Edge trigger and a KKM barrel, and different recoil spring setup in it.
I like working on pistols, but the Remington has been the most annoying.
But I especially don't like the Remington service, and their response. When I sent the pistol back the 2nd time, they determined that THEIR magazine had a faulty follower, but did not replace it.
I have been a service tech for over 50 years, and I would NEVER have sent the pistol back, with the magazine written on its side with felt pen indicating it had a problem.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
Re: Remington R-1 10mm hunter 6" LS (continued)
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2018, 07:22:32 PM »
Sorry we built a POS. Here, you can have it back. ::)

I'm glad to hear you finally got it up and running. I wasn't sure you would. If anyone I know is thinking about getting one I'll tell them to steer clear of it. You should avoid it like the plague, is what I would probably say.

P.S. MEC-GAR mags are used by gun companies all over the world and I've heard good things about them. ProMag is a different story entirely. I bought some ProMags for my P10-45 and got so frustrated with them I smashed them with a sledgehammer and threw them away.

https://www.mec-gar.com/
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 563
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2018, 07:24:49 AM »
That's a sad story.  I have a bottom line model Kimber in 10MM from around 2005 that works like a champ.  Not a long slide though.  I really like the 10MM..I'm glad I "resurveyed" the threads.  I'm going to pull the Kimber out of the safe and run it through some paces this winter.  That 10MM should be a lot better bear medicine than a 9MM or a 45 ACP now that I have to watch for that sort of thing.
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

robert69

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2018, 01:56:41 PM »
Hi all,
I was out at the range on Saturday, shooting .308 win and the Glock 10mm Model 40.
The Glock has the Leupold delta point mos sight.  Alot of fun was had, the groups were very good at 20 yards, shot about 100 rnds.   180 grain Hornady, 12.5 grains of AA9, 1200 fps. Fun pistol.
The Remington R1 is still a problem child, but does shoot decent groups.  If push came to shove, I would not rely on the darn thing.  It is okay with the new magazines, in that it feeds correctly, does not lock up.

robert69

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2019, 10:15:16 PM »
Well, the Remington R-1 hunter went down the road.  It was just not reliable, even after all the work.
I took the funds, added a little, and got a Springfield XDM match 5 and a quarter 10mm.
I have the same firearm in the 45 acp version, adj sights, etc.
But I did order the tungsten guide rod to add weight up front, and the powder rifle ultimate trigger kit.  This is the same trigger that I have on the 45 and a 40 SW XDM that I have.  The trigger is far superior to the factory trigger.
I will shoot it tomorrow, without the trigger upgrade, to see how it shoots.  I did swap out the tungsten guide rod from my 45, to shoot tomorrow.
I have found that the XDM's I have are very accurate, and very reliable.  I will see if this is true with this one.
It will have to shoot very good to beat the Glock 40 that I have.

The difference between men and boys is the price of their toys.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 04:21:52 AM »

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2019, 11:37:59 PM »
It's about time that R-1 went bye-bye. I'll be waiting for a range report.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 563
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2019, 07:18:32 AM »
It's been a long while.....how did it shoot?
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk