Author Topic: 22 Mag Semi-Auto Rifle Input Wanted  (Read 4656 times)

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 459
Re: 22 Mag Semi-Auto Rifle Input Wanted
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2018, 02:06:53 AM »
....... And there's .223 Remington at 20.5 cents per round, so it's cheaper to shoot .223 in an AR than it is .17 HMR.

It's also cheaper to shoot 9 MM. I would consider the new Ruger 9 MM Carbine before anything in the series of Magnum semi auto rimfires. They are the same cost wise, and are more dependable. A lot of .22 Mag semi's have functioning problems. Especially if they get a little dirty. The long, non tapered case can cause feeding and extraction issues in a dirty chamber. I can't understand the high cost of .22 WMR ammo. It is no more costly or different to manufacture than .22 L.R.

You have a little more brass involved. Along with a few more steps in drawing out the longer case. And it does use more expensive jacketed bullets, along with a tad more powder..... But all of that does not justify 8 times greater cost. It just doesn't.

Look at 9 MM, or .223 like you mentioned. The cases take a LOT more brass. It is much more involved to manufacture them, because it requires a machining procedure to make the rim. There is a primer pocket and a flash hole involved. Not to mention a primer for each round. And it also takes more expensive jacketed bullets, that are far larger, requiring more lead and copper to make, and a LOT more powder per round. And in spite of all that it is still as cheap, or cheaper than the cheapest .22 WMR. It doesn't make sense. And a 9 MM or .223 / 5.56 MM will dispatch a Coyote with more authority than a .22 Mag.

Majer

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2018, 11:03:13 AM »
Cost has to do with demand, .223/5.56 ammo is used in great volume by our Government as well as citizen shooters, so with more of it being made, the price comes down. I would guess that the number of shooters using ,22 Mag is 10% or less of .223/5.56 shooters.
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - Jeff Cooper
Pericles--"Freedom is only for those who have the guts to defend it".

The problem with society today is that not enough of us drink wine from our enemies skulls”.

It takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile, and 3 for proper trigger squeeze.

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars!!!
-Sheriff Jim Wilson
"When tyranny becomes law rebellion becomes duty" Thomas Jefferson
Es gibt keine Notwendigkeit zu befürchten, Underdog hier ist.
Great nations rise and fall. The people go from bondage to spiritual truth, to great courage, from courage to liberty, from liberty to abundance, from abundance to selfishness, from selfishness to complacency, from complacency to apathy, from apathy to dependence, from dependence back again to bondage. Where are we now??????

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2018, 12:54:49 PM »
Cost has to do with demand, .223/5.56 ammo is used in great volume by our Government as well as citizen shooters, so with more of it being made, the price comes down. I would guess that the number of shooters using ,22 Mag is 10% or less of .223/5.56 shooters.

I agree. Another thing is the fact the .17 HMR along with the .17 WMR have taken a lot of sales away from the already slow selling .22 WMR. I know back in the 60's and 70's the .22 WMR enjoyed much better sales. But they slowly dropped off to where it is now. There also doesn't seem to be as many guns for sale chambered in that round. And most all of the one's that are seem to be bolt actions. The .22 WMR has always had issues in semi auto guns.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1108
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2018, 06:01:13 PM »
The Savage A22 Magnum with its delayed blowback action and 10-round rotary magazine has taken care of the issues other semi-auto .22 WMR rifles have had in the past. At least that's what it says in some reviews of it.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2018, 01:45:44 AM »
The Savage A22 Magnum with its delayed blowback action and 10-round rotary magazine has taken care of the issues other semi-auto .22 WMR rifles have had in the past. At least that's what it says in some reviews of it.

I've heard even they've had some issues when used with standard .22 WMR ammo. Which is why CCI has come out with specialized .22 Magnum ammunition for it.

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 10:09:40 PM »

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 580
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1046
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2019, 09:13:45 AM »
Cool.

"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2019, 05:58:26 PM »
I use my 17 rem mag for yotes.  it will not go thru them.  makes the tiny entre hole that is often very hard to find.  their insides are goo.   its often used by fur hunters.   
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1108
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2019, 06:24:04 PM »
I've heard about people having a lot of problems with Accelerators. I'm looking forward to hearing how it runs, especially since I was interested in their pistols. One guy did a review on YouTube and said after he sent his rifle in and finally got it back, it works well. Too bad spare mags are $36 apiece. It may be possible to modify the follower of the 9-round magazine to get a few more rounds in.

The CZ 512 is $49 cheaper and uses the same mags as the CZ 455. Polymer 10-round mags from shop.cz-usa.com are $34. The CZ is 2 pounds lighter, but quite a bit longer. It should have good accuracy with the 20.5" hammer forged barrel. It uses the same scope rings as the CZ 455, but only has an 11mm dovetail for mounting optics. That's going to be a deal breaker for a lot of people. It's not tactical enough, but I'd love to see a side by side comparison of the 2 rifles and the cheaper, lighter Savage A12 with its $20 mags.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 580
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2019, 05:53:13 AM »
17 mag is bad ass.  I found my way to a 17 Fireball.  Not quite as fast but it doesn't have the throat erosion of the mag....or at least that's what I read....so I went with the Fireball.  I have the original 221 Fireball in the XP-100 pistol so...I can use that brass if I need to someday.  I still want a 17 mag...but for now I'm focusing on putting up new fence.

The Accelerator goes well with my wife's (it used to be mine) 5.7 pistol. 

Frank I managed a "full suite" of CZ 452's in full wood stock.  The 17 HMR was first and I recently Gunbroker acquired a 22LR and a 22 mag.  I have scopes and rings for the two 22's.  The 452 is a nicer gun than the replacement 455...for instance it has the swaged chamber and a well fitted stock as opposed to the 455's straight pipe like barrel and woodwork.  The 17 HMR is a bughole shooter....I'm hoping the 22's are as well.  You'd think the Mannlicher stock would seriously detract from accuracy but, happily, it doesn't.  One of my absolutely most accurate rifles is a CZ 550 Mannlicher stock in 270...it also came with the very best trigger I've ever had.
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk