Author Topic: coffee filters  (Read 16987 times)

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
coffee filters
« on: January 15, 2019, 11:27:45 AM »
I just started drinking a little more de-caf to try to get away from the iced tea... I use an inexpensive Mr Coffee 4 cup plastic machine... I have noticed that the Folgers de-caf tastes a lot better if I use two basket filters... seems to slow the flow through the brew chamber, and possibly filter out some oil

Timothy

Re: coffee filters
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2019, 12:41:56 PM »
Get a coffee press! 

The oils, water temp, grind size, steep time will improve even decaf but Folgers has gotta go...

Buy a press and better coffee!  I grind mine from whole bean a few times a week.  Been using a press for ten or more years.

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2019, 01:54:21 PM »
You might find them as "French Press" and I do agree they produce the best coffee. 

The grind should be a bit coarser than for a drip brewer.

Bodum makes good ones is 3 sizes.  Check them out here:

https://www.sweetmarias.com/bodum-chambord-french-press-three-sizes.html

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

BAC

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2019, 02:18:41 PM »
Seriously?  What's it to you if the guy likes Folgers from his drip coffee maker?  Maybe when Michael moves this forum to the new platform people will start talking more about guns and less about biscuits and coffee.  Bogan was right.  This forum has become completely lame.

Timothy

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2019, 03:44:35 PM »
You did notice that this subject is in a forum on cooking?

I’ve had four hip replacements so yes, I’m a bit lame!  I won’t speak for the rest...

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 06:29:48 AM »

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2019, 03:51:30 PM »
One thing I commented on that I liked about this forum was the broad knowledge base of the members.  We have heard input on many things, including  how to operate a locomotive. 

No doubt the major focus is firearms related, but as we tend to become "friends" here, it has never been "required" to limit our interaction to one topic....and I do hope it never does.

If you want guns only, just look in those topics...don't try to limit the interaction of other members from
what ever topic they choose to bring up....
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1071
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2019, 11:38:19 PM »
Years ago Consumer Reports tested a bunch of drip coffee makers and the absolute worst of the bunch was Mr. Coffee. I don't know if they've improved since then or not. I've been using drip coffee makers with #4 cone filters for a very long time. I don't know why, but the coffee seems to taste better than the same kind made in a coffee maker with a basket filter. If you need 2 filters for your coffee you may need to buy better filters. And you should drink whatever kind of coffee you like.

One of my doctors told me not to consume anything with caffeine in it, including decaf coffee, because my medicine will work better if I don't. I tried it his way for a year or two then started drinking decaf. I was drinking several varieties of Gevalia coffee before that, so I tried their decaf. It tastes good to me so I keep buying it. The store I shop at always has sales or digital coupons for different brands of coffee that they don't have in decaf, but I still keep an eye out for something new. Some coffee I've tried in the past just didn't taste good. I had a cup of regular Maxwell House before and I could barely drink it. I like coffee that tastes like coffee so I drink it black, but not if tastes like that.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Timothy

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2019, 11:22:57 AM »
Looks like we lost another one...

So what’s Bane going to change around here?  He, Marshal and Teresa have been missing for years now!  Anyone in contact on FB with Teresa?

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1030
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2019, 02:15:39 PM »
Coffee and guns go together in my opinion.

I agree the best flavor I've had is from a press, but since I don't have time to use it every time I want coffee we also use a regular drip maker.

I don't grind my own yet but want to get there.

We've tried a variety of pre-ground coffees on the market from specialty brands to major brands and the Folgers ain't as bad as some. The smoothest flavor I've found from what I'd call the "big bucket, wide market" coffees is the medium roast McCafe (McDonalds brand). If you make it at home it tastes nothing like what the McD's restaurant coffee tastes like.
New England Coffee Co has several good blends.... I like the Doughnut Shop blend in both the drip maker and the press (just have to vary the amount of grounds).

We also switched to unbleached filters in the drip maker, but am thinking of going with the basket filters.

"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Timothy

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2019, 02:24:20 PM »
I'm the only one drinking it my house so I buy whole bean from local roasters.  Depends on where I am when I need beans.  Runs about 13-15 bucks a pound but worth it...

Local markets, I buy Peet's Whole Bean in a couple of roasts.  Runs 8-9 bucks in 3/4 lb bags.

With presses, you need a very coarse grind.  Pre-ground is way too fine for mine and you risk blowing the glass beaker if you press too fast.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk