Author Topic: The Best Defense Cancelled!  (Read 1240 times)

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 873
The Best Defense Cancelled!
« on: June 02, 2019, 07:27:44 PM »
Just read that Outdoor Channel pulled the plug on The Best Defense  :'(

Sadly, I think we are going to see more of this.  I have noticed that Wednesday Night At The Range really doesn't exist anymore.  They have been paring it down for a few years.  Putting some of the shows over on Sportsman Channel on other days doesn't make up for the dropping many shows.

Anyone ready to start a pool on how long we will have this forum to meet on?
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1089
Re: The Best Defense Cancelled!
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2019, 12:38:02 AM »
The last day of June is the end of the second quarter of the year, and a lot of business decisions go by quarters. Someone will have to see if the forum is still here July 1st when the 3rd quarter begins. I plan on being gone again for at least a couple of weeks. At this point I don't think anything would surprise me.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 573
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2019, 03:39:30 AM »
Dang.  Well, all good things must come to an end.  MB is getting older...I hope he keeps up with the podcast and news on the shooting sports.  It was a good run.  New shows are always exciting and The Best Defense has had a long and honored run. 

I wonder with the current political climate are people training like they used to?  I feel like they aren't.  I also feel like the urgency felt when Obummer was in office ain't there today and we're letting our guard down.  Fewer people participating across the board.

I guess you can only shoot one gun at a time and there has been a lot of AR stockpiling for a rainy day that people don't feel is as near as it once was.  The prices on AR's is at rock bottom...I picked up a Palmetto State AR pattern 308 upper and lower under $450 last week.  The prices reflect the interest.

We are all enjoying the drop in ammo prices but with that goes the focus.  I'm certainly not buying several thousand rounds a year to train with...some of it's that getting older thing but the big thing is my boys are grown so I'm not bringing them to the range.  Now, when I finally retire I want to start traveling and shooting some competitions...like Alf said he was going to do. 

Oh, Alf...where the heck are you and how is that going?  Long time no post!

Realistically, I think most people here use that damn Faceybookey thing that tracks the heck out of you and shares your information to make $$$$'s.  I suspect, though I don't know, that Faceybook takes less thought then composing and posting on a regular board.

This forum has a wealth of information on all types of subjects.  It would be a shame to lose it.  It's a bigger shame to not be able to keep up with you guys.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 82
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2019, 04:11:41 PM »
I've had concerns with TOC since MB moved over there. Their refusal to put shows on DVDs was a starting issue, followed by the amount of kowtowing MB seemed to have to do to get anything done.

Mike is right too, in that the Wednesday lineup has been changing for years. It seems that TOC has been more fudd-oriented over the past few years, with lots of hunting and fishing shows and fewer gun shows.

Of course, I am speaking from ancient history, as my bride and I cut the cable last year so we haven't been watching anything on cable.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1089
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2019, 10:34:19 PM »
My new signature if I could change it would be;

When the going gets tough,
the forum closes down.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 11:08:35 AM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk