Author Topic: TSA Issues  (Read 2822 times)

Timothy

TSA Issues
« on: April 06, 2020, 02:11:09 PM »
Any issues I need to know about to pack a firearm in my checked bag?

Proper container?
Check in?
Paperwork?

And do I need to worry about a hold over at O?Hare?

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 563
Re: TSA Issues
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2020, 02:34:39 PM »
1.  Unloaded.
2.  No ammunition in the same bag.
3.  Lock for the bag
4.  Declare it at check in. 
5.  Sign off that you have an unloaded firearm.
6.  Expect them to look at it like they know what they are doing (really funny sometimes) when they inspect it to confirm it is unloaded.

Concerning the container I don't really know.  they say it has to be appropriate or whatever...but they don't give specs for the container.  I think it may have to be hardsided.  I used an old Bushmaster plastic box once which is really flaky...lock in the middle but you can pull the ends up and it got through.  They even looked at the gun and said it was nice....

I would put it in something that you can't jimmy open for a look see.  I've lost pieces parts that ride along in the case with the guns more than once.
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 853
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2020, 07:03:31 PM »
The gun case must be hardsided and lockable, either with its own lock or a padlock.

Ammunition separate and in factory box.

Check the ammunition regulations with the airport and the airline.  TSA has one rule, but I have found that sometimes the airport and airlines will be less.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

Timothy

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2020, 07:25:57 PM »
Does the baggage need to be hard sided?

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2020, 07:39:17 PM »
No, but trust me it should be.  Also you can not use a tsa approved lock.  They can not have access  to it, in fact its a felony on them if they do.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 06:44:03 AM »

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2020, 09:35:03 PM »
The suitcase can be either hard or soft side, but the gun case must be hard.

http://www.tsa.gov/travel/transporting-firearms-and-ammunition
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2020, 10:26:54 PM »
Get in touch with the airport you're leaving from and the one you'll be arriving at to see if they have any additional restrictions. I heard of people getting in trouble because they declared they had a gun, but did it after they got in a certain line or to a certain area.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2020, 07:22:53 AM »
Your destination may not seem necessary, until you get ready to come home.  I ran into that one trip.  Flew from Minneapolis, MN to Phoenix, AZ.  All went great.  Then it came time to come home, and everything I did going down, TSA rules and Minneapolis more restrictive, was not in compliance with Phoenix departure.  After some talking I was allowed to return as was.

I have shared my little "Ammunition In The Carry On" joy in the past, but almost as bad is when you are sitting in the boarding area, with 150 other sheep waiting for the railcar to pull in, you see two suits walk up to the podium with the clipboard, and agent at the podium pages your butchered name.  Soon you realize that you are surrounded, or faced, by the Captain of the plane, two TSA agents, an airport representative, an airline representative, and off to the side are two airport security officers.

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1014
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2020, 12:08:48 PM »
I've heard the ammo can cause more issues in different states than the gun.

"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Timothy

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2020, 01:59:12 PM »
MA to MI thru Chicago and back, no ammo.

If I fly out of RI then it?s a no go...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk