Author Topic: AR possibilities  (Read 12189 times)

tombogan03884

AR possibilities
« on: May 05, 2020, 09:44:06 PM »
We all discuss optimizing our AR's for our particular use, be it SD, Shooting games, or hunting.
But has any one gone about trying ALL the variations ?
The Shrike is supposed to be a good belt feed upper, although it's kind of pointless with out F/A.
Then there's the flare Launchers, the under barrel shotguns have potential with the right ammo, but those flare launchers are TOTAL M-203   ;D
There was some one selling a cross bow upper that I never did see the point of,

And then,
Like a gift from God I saw my grail attachment
The golf ball and soda can sized cup launchers     ;D

I'll make Bill Ruger's dream come true !
I will turn every golf course into a rifle range !   ;D

Who made your driver ? Topflite ?
No, Spike's Tactical .      ;D

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1073
Re: AR possibilities
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2020, 07:29:52 AM »
I have an M2037 flare gun that mounts like an M203 but it's 37mm. It's a lot of dead weight when you aren't actually using it so I took it off. I bought some bird bombs for it at a local gun show and would have bought more but someone, the ATF I think, decided they weren't legal to buy if you didn't own a farm that was sustaining crop damage and get a permit, or some such BS. I can't even buy 12 gauge bird bombs anymore. On a related topic, no more buying "gopher bombs" as I referred to the M-80-like pest control devices I bought a couple of boxes full of through the mail in the past. I told my friends that you light one and drop it down a gopher hole and it blows the gopher out of the other hole. I tossed one in my large rural-type mailbox and flipped the door shut and it blew the back wall completely off. That was more than what I expected, and me and the neighbor kid I was showing them to had a good laugh. I can see why they wouldn't want just any idiot to buy those, they might do something stupid like blow up their mailbox. ???

I always thought the AR shotgun mounts would be too clumsy if you didn't have a SBS. A 14" barrel and aluminum receiver would be about the maximum length and weight I would want to try. I think a golf ball launcher would shoot the balls so far I'd never find them again and would have to buy more balls. I like the idea of the beer can launcher better. You could drink the beer or soda, then fill the can with sand like someone told me he did with a beer can mortar 6 ounce orange juice can mortar. I might not get my 10 cent deposit back but it's worth it for the LOLs. If you get a golf ball launcher or beer can launcher you need to let us all how much fun they are so we'll know if it's worth it. I think we could come up with a new sport. Wear suits of armor and have teams shoot golf balls at each other. Forget about air-soft, forget about paintball, but don't forget your earplugs. For now I'm spending my money on something else. FedEx is a day late but my package is loaded on the delivery truck. It's a race between them and UPS today.

Edited. 
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

tombogan03884

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2020, 08:14:42 AM »
 ;D  I was thinking more along the lines of launching for the tee off, not at each other .   ;D
No wonder your parents took away your BB Gun   ;D

Jim Kennedy-ar154me

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1422
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2020, 08:17:27 AM »

And then,
Like a gift from God I saw my grail attachment
The golf ball and soda can sized cup launchers     ;D

I'll make Bill Ruger's dream come true !
I will turn every golf course into a rifle range !   ;D

Who made your driver ? Topflite ?
No, Spike's Tactical .      ;D

What about those uppers that shoot soda cans? Can you even imagine getting hit with one?
The time for action is upon us and the enemy is at our gates. Let us not allow them one more inch of advancement but instead throw them through the gates of Hell.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2020, 09:17:21 AM »
;D  I was thinking more along the lines of launching for the tee off, not at each other .   ;D
No wonder your parents took away your BB Gun   ;D

As soon as I saw those launchers I wanted to SHOOT a round of golf and make the game more exciting, but would M203 type sights be legal? After a year or so I started thinking maybe you could do something else with them. I would pay good money to see people dressed in suits of armor like knights of old, shooting golf balls at each other. I think a lot of people would. It sounds a whole lot better than arena football to me but, I've never been a sports fan so I don't know. "Oh it's going to be a hot one today in Miami when hometown favorites, the Massacre take on the Philadelphia Fenestrators. Next week's big game is the Tempe Templars versus the Benedictine Monks of Santa Monica. I don't think the Templars have a prayer, do you Tom?" Of course there would have to be vendors selling souvenirs, food and beverages, and it would be better than bread and circuses to entertain the masses. I see it as a business opportunity waiting to be exploited.

After seeing this jackass clip can you imagine the reaction if you took your shot at the next hole when they took theirs?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7C1Pr4AU2wc
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 04:55:14 AM »

tombogan03884

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2020, 12:14:26 PM »
I'm going to just step back and let the idea run rampant    ;D

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2020, 08:11:35 PM »
I got my XBRN177E2 upper from Brownells Thursday. It was $100 off during the last big sale, which I think is still going on. I got the 1:7" twist barrel rather than the 1:12". I don't plan on shooting 77 grain match bullets or any other long for caliber bullets out of it. I have some but they're for my 20" AR. I'm just too lazy to figure out what the velocity of the 55 and 62 grain bullets I plan on using would be from the 12.7" barrel, converting that into RPMs, and seeing if I can find someplace online that says that's fast enough to stabilize them. If they had a 1:9" twist option I would have just bought that and hoped for the best.

The "moderator" is pinned and welded, and they didn't bother to put a dab of paint over what looks like a lump of copper-based brazing. My guess is that it's a brass alloy of some kind. Since I'm putting the the upper on my old Colt AR I got a new Colt-made conversion pivot pin. This looks better that the old one I used when I only had one lower. The old one doesn't have a head on it and goes down inside the lower when you tighten it. If my lower had a fence on it instead of being a slab-side, it looks like the flat side of the head would be against the end of the fence where a normal pivot pin should be, and keep the pin from rotating when I open and close the receivers.

Colt decided to go with an 11.5" barrel and longer muzzle device on their XM177E2 reproduction. By now I thought someone would have split the difference and used a 12" barrel with a muzzle device between the size of the original and mine. IMO it would be harder to tell at a glance that it was 1/2" longer than it should be, rather than one part being 1.7" longer. But you pay your money and take what you get. The Colt really looks good but even if they weren't sold out I couldn't afford it.

Now I need to decide if I want a Right Side Folding Stock Adaptor or Left Side Folding Stock Adaptor from Deadfoot Arms. The right hand adaptor is in stock now but not the left. I can stick my M4 stock on it and have the ability to shoot with the stock folded, and forget about buying the BRN-180 upper and a stock adaptor. I already know the M16/AR-15 system inside and out, and unlike the BRN-180, spare parts are not only available for it but are abundant. I get a 20% discount at Deadfoot Arms for being a veteran, and I can save $100 off the folding stock adaptor kit by sending in my bolt carrier for them to modify, instead of buying another one in the kit. The right-hand folder would probably work best for me slinging it on my right shoulder and it's 10 bucks cheaper than the left-hand folder. I think I talked myself into it. There goes anything I had left of my $1,200 "Trump Bucks" and then some.

https://deadfootarms.com/products/modified-cycle-system-folding-stock-adaptor-black-nitride-bolt-carrier-group/

ANY UNITED STATES VETERAN AND ALL ACTIVELY SERVING MILITARY PERSONNEL ARE ELIGIBLE FOR A LIFETIME 20% DISCOUNT ON DEAD FOOT ARMS PRODUCTS.  WE THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE TO OUR GREAT NATION AND APPRECIATE THE SACRIFICES YOU AND YOUR FAMILIES HAVE MADE IN THE NAME OF FREEDOM.  You just need to submit a redacted copy of your DD214 and you're set for life. The main thing they want to see is your name. It's not like id.me where they want to see everything, which got me a 25% discount on the already sale-priced Carhartt stuff that I'm still waiting for.

tombogan03884

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2020, 09:07:56 PM »
Cool deal. But I wouldn't buy anything with Colt on it . It's nothing but an over priced trademark put on stuff that Colt USED to make. They couldn't do that if the patents were still in force. That's why they only recently tried to resurrect the Python.
They didn't own the rights any more.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2020, 07:59:30 AM »
Some of the Colt and Colt Canada stuff looks pretty cool, like the M4 Monolithic with a folding sight on the gas block, and the MRR, Modular Rail Rifle that also has a monolithic upper. But like you said, Colts are overpriced. If you want something out of the ordinary there's a .50 Beowulf pistol on the market, but it's called 12.7x42mm so no one has to pay royalties to Alexander Arms. I bet you'd be the first one on your block to have one. :) And the last if your neighbors got a taste of the recoil. Here's some ammo for 2 bucks a pop and some for just $1.25. Underwood Ammo has quite an assortment of .50 Beowulf, and if you want less recoil from your .50 caliber AR pistol there's 200 grain Inceptor ARX. I like how that sounds, .50 caliber AR pistol! Why settle for a BFR when you can get a BFAR? ;D

https://detroitammoco.com/product/12-7x42mm-aka-50-beowulf-300gr-ftx-20-rounds/

https://www.defenderammunition.com/products/50beo

tombogan03884

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2020, 08:06:15 AM »
Don't think "AR pistol".
Those are asinine and fairly useless.
Think "Modern Trapper carbine"      ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk