Author Topic: Signs of spring...  (Read 3534 times)

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
Signs of spring...
« on: May 10, 2020, 01:34:30 PM »
Here are some of the signs of spring around here.

1.  I had the air conditioners running 2 days in a row and had to turn the furnace back on the next day. When it started up it had that burning dusty rusty smell it has the first time I use it in the fall, but not as bad. Just because it hadn't been running for awhile.

2.  It seems like it rained 5 days a week last month but I never keep track. April showers bring May flowers. And May rain and possibly May flurries, but you never hear about that.

3.  I've heard a lot of motorcycles ripping up and down the highway a few blocks away. I can tell by the sound that the crotch rockets are doing well over the 35 MPH speed limit, but the cops can't catch them and they do whatever they want. BTW, if I ever look in my side-view mirror and see a biker splitting lanes, I'm going to whip my door open right in front of them. It's not my fault if they're breaking the law when I have to open my door to spit. And if they have to buy me a new door that's okay, I don't mind. It wouldn't piss me off like the @$$hole who parked his bike under the gas tank of my van while I was stopped. >:(

4.  My neighbors are spending a lot more time in their driveways with their stereos thumping, and talking loudly. They have to talk loud because they're standing next to a car with the stereo thumping. It seems like I posted this already but maybe I'm just getting senile. They aren't social distancing so I probably posted about that.

5.  My flowers have been loving the rain and the days it was warm. My feet didn't even get cold one day when I was out walking around on the concrete barefoot. It was mid-70s one day and mid-50s the next, but that's Michigan for you. I'll have a bunch of ugly lilies blooming before too long, and my wonderful perfume-scented roses in a few weeks. I told my neighbors to come over and cut off as many roses as they want when they start blooming. Don't knock on the door, don't ask me, just come over and start cutting. The roses were well established years before I moved in back in '91 and they're one of the place's few good qualities.

6. I've been hearing a lot more birds singing lately. After dark, before dawn, it doesn't matter to some of them. There were a half dozen seagulls across the street squawking last week, and I'm a long way from the sea. I don't know where they come from. I've heard or seen robins, cardinals, mourning doves, pigeons, crows, bluejays, geese, and as many birds that I couldn't identify as I could.

My ex must have planted the grape hyacinths in the middle of the front yard a long time ago but I don't remember anything but grass being there. They just popped up in the lawn and I mowed around them at first, then over them. That's a bad place for them to be. If you turn them upside down they look like tiny bunches of grapes. The tulips pop up before the snow melts, and there's something else with narrow leaves mixed in with them I still haven't identified. They don't look like pictures of daffodils I see online but they're closer to that than anything else I know of. The whole area was covered with dozens of kinds of wildflowers I planted before but not anymore. If I remember I'll post a couple of pics of whatever these things are next to the tulips when they bloom in awhile. And you don't even need to ask, no, I never painted around the front porch. I need to get someone to sandblast it. Here's how my flowers looked about 10 days ago.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
Re: Signs of spring...
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2020, 02:06:00 PM »
The tulips on the south side of the steps do really well but the ones stuck in the shady corner on the north side don't produce as much. They're in the second pic. I have a tulip plus something growing in the last pic. Maybe grass in that pic too but some kind of flowers in the second. 
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

tombogan03884

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2020, 02:22:01 PM »
We got an inch of snow yesterday.    ::)
I haven't seen that since 1965  or so.
Fu$%ing motorcycles .
Loud pipes don't save lives, they boost the a Holes ego and there's no excuse for being able to hear their stereo, in doors, over my own, from a half mile away.
When I hear about one of them getting run over I make the right noises, but I'm thinking 1 down so many more to go.
From 5:30 when they start heading to work, till after midnight every day from clear roads till first snow.
Critters ? I have a new best friend in the Labrador next door . Her people live on the second floor, She likes to lay in the sun on the Balcony
and Woof when people go by on the sidewalk below . After she got me the first time I keep an eye out .    ;D She gets a couple people every week. 
It's funny to watch when their "lizard brain" kicks in . 
Plant's and flower's ?
I'm waiting for the lilacs . That was the best part of living in Rochester, but there are a few around here.
Otherwise I can't even read about them with out blowing my nose and wiping my eyes.
Fishing.
I'm not interested myself, but every one else around here is either after Salmon or Bass, or lying about what they caught last year.   ;D

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2020, 03:43:41 PM »
I haven't seen any snow for weeks and it was so light it was floating back and forth. When some finally hit the ground it disappeared without a trace. That doesn't mean it won't snow anymore but I felt confident enough to take my second ice scraper out of the truck and put the sun shade in the windshield last month. I brought my winter driving gloves in too.

Whenever someone says loud pipes save lives I say, no they don't, they just piss people off! I don't remind them them that half of those angry people drive trucks or SUVs that fair a lot better in a crash that their motorcycle. And I don't tell them that I don't always try to avoid collisions because some people just deserve to be hit. Yeah, I'm crazy, so what? And WHY do so many bikers sit there and rev, rev, rev, rev, rev, rev their engines? Seriously. Are they all retarded children in adult bodies?

Fishermen are always lying about the size of two things and one of them is fish. ;D

tombogan03884

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2020, 05:20:18 PM »
Yes they are.
Not to bright either.
If it was really about hearing the stereo over the blatting pipes they could just switch to ear buds.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 11:55:51 PM »

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2020, 05:51:25 PM »
I had to turn the furnace on again today because it's supposed to get down to 45 degrees tonight. It was 67 degrees in the house when I got up which felt good but a little cool. Better than sweating before I did anything. And tomorrow it's back to 70s-80s during the day and 60s-70s at night. That's so much better than what I have to put up with all summer. Up until a few years ago I had daisies but right now I don't have any flowers which is fine by me. My roses will be blooming any day now. They could could be today but I haven't been outside.

ETA: I have something in front of the porch with leaves that look like whatever is next to the daisies in this picture but I don't know what it it yet. I thought purple coneflowers were about the only thing coming back out of the 30-40 varieties of wildflowers in the mix but never can be sure. I had some Star of Bethlehem flowers blooming in the back yard until the last time I mowed. I thought that's what they were but wasn't sure because it's been several years since I let the grass get long enough for them to bloom.

tombogan03884

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2020, 10:24:29 AM »
Orange Barrels and Lilacs  ;D
I happen to really like lilacs.   ;D
I'm not two* good with pictures, taking, or sharing.   ::)
But around here all the flowering trees are out or just past and the Rhododendrons are getting ready to bloom, looks like a bumper year .
There's a female cardinal that's been around lately.
At the end of the block are a bank and a Church that have really nice landscaping, I think it was the bank's planting that drew the Cardinal.

(* couldn't remember 1 "O" or 2 so I used the one I KNEW was wrong   ;D  )

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2020, 10:29:56 AM »
first day of hurricane season, and a depression in the Gulf of Mexico... GOODY  8)

tombogan03884

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2020, 10:34:31 AM »
Need to move North .
We get some time between crap    ;D
Also you might displace a Masshole and that's NEVER bad.   ;D
That's why I've spent so much of my life in NH, I know what I think of out of Staters .    ;D

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2020, 10:36:20 AM »
We have been going from high 60s to high 90s to thunder storms in 4 days.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk