Author Topic: Summer Reading Lists! (gun content is a plus!)  (Read 3249 times)

Dirty Bob

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Usual Suspect
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 55
Summer Reading Lists! (gun content is a plus!)
« on: May 19, 2020, 07:36:43 PM »
Regular brick-and-mortar bookstores are closed in many locales, so I'm suggesting some titles that are available electronically. Gun content in this list is always welcome, especially for those readers in places where ranges are still closed.

1. A classic: Shots Fired in Anger / Lt. Col. John B. George
George's experiences on Guadalcanal in WWII as a junior officer. He was a competitive shooter, who wrote to his family to send him a scope to put on a 1903 Springfield, and he spent part of his time sniping. The last part of the book has evaluations of Japanese and US weapons used in the campaign. Highly recommended. Free on archive.org

2. A new book: Dogsoldiers / James Tarr
The book follows a squad of guerrillas fighting in the ruins of Detroit in a "Red vs. Blue" civil war. Tarr is a gun guy, and it shows throughout. It's a very gritty story, that stays focused on the fight in Detroit, which is now a "backwater" of the war, far from the front lines. Lots of interesting details, from new infantry arms in the hands of the "Blue" government conscripts to how technology is affecting the urban battlefield. A real page-turner, and one I plan to read again. On Amazon Kindle and in paperback.

3. A Western: Brings the Lightning / Peter Grant.
A lot of us grew up with Louis L'Amour and Zane Grey, but this is a different take on the West. After the Civil War, a former Confederate decides to head west and becomes a gun dealer to earn his living, buying "junk" guns and fixing them up to sell out on the frontier, where the prices are higher. This is the first book in a series. I've only read this one, but I loved the book and look forward to the others. Mr. Grant comes from Africa and is a former soldier and a former prison pastor. His blog -- Bayou Renaissance Man -- is also worth a read. His books are available on Amazon, in Kindle and dead tree formats.

4. Bonus: Another title by Tarr: Bestiarii, is set in a near future in which Mexico was the site of something like a Jurassic Park: a site that was destroyed as a civil war flared up in the country. Years later, the war goes on, and a wealthy man and his son head down to Mexico for the hunting trip of a lifetime. Things don't go according to plan. I really enjoyed this book! Available as an Amazon Kindle book, or in physical form from Amazon or at barnesandnoble.com.

By the way, if you don't want to buy anything, try archive.org and gutenberg.org (as well as gutenberg.net.au/) for thousands of free digital books.

So, what can ya'll recommend for our summer reading, whether it's at the beach or in a backyard hammock?

Thanks,
Dirty Bob
-------------
Maker, tinkerer, general nerd

"Can't stop the signal, Mal." - Serenity (2005)

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 853
Re: Summer Reading Lists! (gun content is a plus!)
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2020, 08:32:15 PM »
I've got nothing to add right now, but you set my brain a spinnin'.

I will be following this, and you guys will build my stack higher than I have time for.

POST ON!!!
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

tombogan03884

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2020, 07:49:23 AM »
I read "Shots Fired in Anger, I found it  on Amazon, It was either free or very inexpensive on Kindle.
His comments on Japanese small arms seem to be mostly wrong, but it's a real good account of the Army on Guadalcanal.

A couple things about Internet Archive, Gutenburg, and Kindle.
You may need to download an app for non kindle books, I use book Bazaar with no problem.
They don't work with Kindle, and if you download the Kindle patch you can only download from Amazon. You can't download Kindle format to a non kindle except from Amazon, the other formats are OK.

I was fortunate enough that a friend dropped off 2 big boxes of books recently, many old childhood friends, The Ragged Rugged Warriors by Martin Caiden, First and the Last by Adolf Galland,
The one I'm currently reading, The Man Without a Face is a hostile description of Putin's rise to power.

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 563
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

Majer

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2020, 10:28:45 PM »
If you like semi fiction, Check out the Survivalist series by Jerry Ahern, He works the names and products of real people into his stories.

https://www.bookseriesinorder.com/survivalist/
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - Jeff Cooper
Pericles--"Freedom is only for those who have the guts to defend it".

The problem with society today is that not enough of us drink wine from our enemies skulls”.

It takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile, and 3 for proper trigger squeeze.

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars!!!
-Sheriff Jim Wilson
"When tyranny becomes law rebellion becomes duty" Thomas Jefferson
Es gibt keine Notwendigkeit zu befürchten, Underdog hier ist.
Great nations rise and fall. The people go from bondage to spiritual truth, to great courage, from courage to liberty, from liberty to abundance, from abundance to selfishness, from selfishness to complacency, from complacency to apathy, from apathy to dependence, from dependence back again to bondage. Where are we now??????

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 04:06:48 AM »

tombogan03884

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2020, 07:48:51 AM »
OK,  I got the winner.
Fire Arms Curiosa, by Lewis Winant .    ;D
It's more a reference book of pre 1965 weird actions, I was looking for those pinfire ring pistols.   ;D
He doesn't mention them so while they are cool they are unlikely to be very old.    ;D

Obiwan

• Forum Member
  • "Jihad This!"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2020, 02:31:27 PM »
I've been doing a lot of reading lately. Our public library uses apps to allow you to borrow books online - FREE. One app is called "LIBBY". The other is "AXIS360". Just log in with your library card number and borrow what they have. I've been reading the Tom Clancy/Vince Flynn/Brad Thor genre books.  Lots of good authors with their "Ex Seal/Unit/Recon" heroes. Beats watching the propaganda on TV. Seeing the "C" word (corona) trips my "change the channel" switch. Same with the "I" word (impeach) or the "F" word (Flynn). Lately the word Fauci has become irritating. Anyhow I do enjoy reading and since it's free I just keep downloading books and keep sane.
Unless it's life or death related, it's all BullShit!

Former USMC
Retired federal LEO

tombogan03884

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2020, 03:42:39 PM »
 I think we are seeing the end of  "mass market" dead tree books reference material will still be printed, but news papers, magazines, and probably popular fiction will go digital completely.

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 563
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2020, 07:08:26 AM »
I think we are seeing the end of  "mass market" dead tree books reference material will still be printed, but news papers, magazines, and probably popular fiction will go digital completely.

Gee I hope not......
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

tombogan03884

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2020, 08:38:10 AM »
Gee I hope not......

That was my first reaction, but carrying 500 books in my pocket and adjustable print size are big pluses.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk