Author Topic: American made.  (Read 9700 times)

tombogan03884

Re: American made.
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2020, 09:58:13 AM »
I'll try to pass on other challenges .   ;D
I've gotten that way.   ;D
Little story.
I know a retired Airborne Major who's main non military interest is Newspaper, He's been working at it since he was a kid, Literary club at Dartmouth, and involved in unit papers on duty, becomes the local history columnist here when he retired.
I challenged him thusly.
F*ck, The word is considered vulgar and not used in "polite society" (the old Bluenoses who don't   ;D)
Find an unvulgar word that serves as many varied meanings.
F*ck you, F*ck this, f*cking A ,  etc.
He never has, that was a year ago, and every now and then he still mentions not being able to find any printable word that serves as well. 
It's one of those little things that won't go away   ;D

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 567
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2020, 09:10:49 AM »
Seemless.   5/8 od .012 wall thickness.

SS tubing....I've bent miles and miles of it working as an instrument tech offshore Louisiana.  Mostly 1/4" and 3/8"...some 1/2".  I used to repair and refurbish pneumatic/hydraulic control panels.  Loved that work....but I went back to school because I worked with so many highly paid dumb engineers and I figured I could make it as an engineer and make a few more $$$$'s.

Gee that's old memories.  Yep...Grainger and those other guys were expen$ive.  The best sources are around refining centers....both for price and availability.  I used to get it shipped down to Venice, LA, to be put on a boat with at least 1,000' at a time.  I also ordered rolls of 1/4" for well installations.  If you need compression fittings the Swagelok brand is the best...and you pay for it...but the Parker brand get's the job done and the ferrule is one piece.  Of course things may have changed on that.  The best valves used to be Whitey brand...all of this is stuff I quit doing mid-80's so things may have changed.

The deburring tool may be needed for that large of tubing....however on the smaller stuff like I worked on up to 1/2" the tubing cutters had a deburring tool built onto the back of them (just a hardened piece of metal with a deburring lip cut into it) that worked just fine. 

Depending on your pressures and the tightness of bends you may not need that seamless tubing.  I usually bought seamless tubing but never had seamed tubing fail at pressures at or below design pressure.  Even with a 180 degree curve to fit into panels.  The big leak factors were not installing the compression fittings correctly and once in place vibration wear.  That stainless is relatively soft compared to regular steel pans and mounts that equipment is placed on that we attached the SS tubing too.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

Timothy

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2020, 10:21:27 AM »
Swagelok fittings are the best!  I agree!  Tough to make a mistake with their go-no go gauge supplied!  Don’t remember if 5/8” is a common size though.

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2020, 11:33:25 PM »
 i am looking to start selling the end of August  at this point.   I am going to try and send a few to youtube people to see if they like them.  After that they will most likely be sold on amazon.  The cost of building a web site is too much for what ammounts to me " playing" to see where it goes. Still have to come up with a name, i want something thqt says us made, with out being tacky.  I doubt it will even go past tye 1st 500, but who knows.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

tombogan03884

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2020, 08:20:01 AM »
See what I mean ?   ;D

It's a gift, like painting, or a good memory.

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 04:44:45 AM »

Rastus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2020, 08:39:41 AM »
Seemless.   5/8 od .012 wall thickness.

.012?  That may be a specialty product....at least for the pneumatic/hydraulic control and sensor world.  In this catalog on page 5 there's a table of common fractional tubing sizes, wall thicknesses and pressure ratings:  https://www.swagelok.com/downloads/webcatalogs/EN/MS-01-107.PDF

It appears, from this table, that 5/8" tubing in the thinnest wall, .049", has a pressure rating of 2,900 psi depending on application factors.  The thickest wall commonly available for 5/8" tubing listed is 0.095" good for 6,000 psi.  Whatever it is you are replacing would be seriously upgraded by either.....a selling point.

An issue may be the connection.  That thin wall stuff may not work well with a compression fitting like i'm accustomed to. 

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2020, 09:15:54 AM »
The product in question holds zero pressure and is decortive in nature.

Rastus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2020, 09:22:24 AM »
The product in question holds zero pressure and is decortive in nature.

Whhaaaatttt?  Well heck...it only needs to be thick enough to bend.

Chrome plating?

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2020, 10:13:50 AM »
Whhaaaatttt?  Well heck...it only needs to be thick enough to bend.

Chrome plating?

I will pm you a link it will make sense then.

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1030
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2020, 11:23:46 AM »
Swagelok fittings are the best!  I agree!  Tough to make a mistake with their go-no go gauge supplied!  Don’t remember if 5/8” is a common size though.

Ahhh,, good ol' Swagelock....brings back memories. We kept thousands of $$ worth on hand at all times. We used valves, regulators, and fittings from 1/4" up to 2" at the time as well as other products made by them.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk