Author Topic: Atlanta Burning  (Read 7539 times)

Dirty Bob

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Usual Suspect
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 55
Re: Atlanta Burning
« Reply #70 on: June 29, 2020, 10:53:43 PM »
No problemo, Tom. I wasn't trying to change your mind, just rattling off why it works for me.

No bears in Texas that I know of, though, just lots and lots of feral hogs and an occasional alligator in some parts.

Re: 5.56mm, it's at its best in a barrel length of 16-20 inches. I like 5.56mm pistols, but with barrel lengths of at least 10 inches, preferably longer. With a 10-inch barrel, you probably won't see enough velocity to be really effective past about 100 yards, depending on bullet weight, ballistic coefficient, and muzzle velocity.

Les: Total agreement on barrel length! And yes, a flash can or linear comp is a good thing and money well spent! I think Gabe Suarez wrote in his blog (now gone) that he was very happy with an 11-inch AR with a buffer tube that was padded for cheeking but had no brace. I've seen a crutch tip used, but I think that's mainly so it will stand up in a gun cabinet without sliding and falling.

Wanting a really short (7.5 inches) barrel was why I went with 300 BLK. It doesn't suffer as much from a short barrel as 5.56mm, though the whole "it burns all the powder in the first 9 inches" thing is a myth. A 16-inch 300 BLK barrel will be more effective than a pistol barrel.

All these short barrels are REALLY LOUD!!!, by the way. Not always a bad thing in a defensive situation, but something to be aware of.

I also just really like the 300 BLK (7.62x35mm). It's a fairly efficient cartridge that can launch an impressive range of bullet weights, from down around 90 grain pistol bullets, up to the very heavy 250 grain subsonic loads. I believe its sweet spot in supersonics is around 120 grains. People compare it to the (more powerful) 7.62x39mm, but to me it seems closer to the 7.92x33mm Kurz, the cartridge used in the Sturmgewehr 44.

BTW, 5.56 is awesome fun in a Contender. When I was growing up, our neighbor had that very pistol, and I loved shooting it. In terms of range, though, I'd consider it a 100 yard proposition in most cases.

All my best,
Bob
-------------
Maker, tinkerer, general nerd

"Can't stop the signal, Mal." - Serenity (2005)

tombogan03884

Re: Atlanta Burning
« Reply #71 on: June 30, 2020, 09:37:05 AM »
Les, A lot of good useful information in that small post.
ATF mood of the day is something I've wondered about with the braces.
I know of 1 guy who got a KP -9 and registered it as an SBR, just to be protected if they miss their Motrin or some thing and change the policy. Also he can use any stock he wants now.

Bob, The Contender I've got now came with a 10 inch Hex .357 barrel, It dates from about when I was working there.
I don't know that I made any of the parts, but I know for sure I knew everyone else that worked on it.   ;D
I have enough other stuff now that I don't expect to shoot it very often. The one barrel I REALLY want is a 10 inch, 45/410 with a bead instead of a front sight.
 Not to likely though, there was only one made, and that was a back door job when they were not supposed to be making the 410. 
And the guy who made it isn't likely to part with it.   ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk