Author Topic: The Road to Exeter (Sig P365 Competition)  (Read 12318 times)

tombogan03884

Re: The Road to Exeter (Sig P365 Competition)
« Reply #101 on: July 25, 2021, 08:57:14 AM »
How many points for the pigeons ?   ;D

Hope the shooting was all done Saturday.
Today kind of sucks.
You should see sun this afternoon though.

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 447
« Reply #102 on: July 25, 2021, 12:07:04 PM »
TO DO:

• Buy P365   
  • Buy extra mags
  • Register for slot/squad 
  • Break gun return to SIG
  • Procure ammo
  • Practice    
  • Make travel plans 
  • Go  <--- flying sucks  Delta is getting an earfull 
  • Shoot  <--  Fun, different, glad to have been a part of this  
  • Collect awards <--  Got the t-shirt and the pin.  Picked up a few things at the Pro Shop

In order with added notes

GO

This is the most I've ever planned for a trip.  Detailed lists of what to take.  Practice. Buying the right gear.  It was my first flight in about 7 years.  I took a few too many things.  Over planed just a bit.  The large Pelican hard case was way too big.  Added 15# and took up half the suit case.  I ended up removing most of the interior padding so I could cram all the shooting gear in there.  Only need to take one book to read, not 3.

Flying with a gun:  Easy-Peasy.  I put a bright colored zip tie through the barrel and chamber so it was easy to see the gun was unloaded.  At ATL, I checked in with Delta and the agent had me show him the gun and I locked the case.  (BTB, put your locks on lock UP so it's easier unlock without fumbling or taking the case completely out.)   Then he sent me with bag to a special room right by the entrance doors (50ft away) where 4 bored TSA agents jumped at the chance to do something.  They asked if it were unloaded, then, without opening it, they put it in their xray machine.  30seconds later I was done.   In Portland I checked in, but then had to wait for the TSA agent to come to the check in counter.  However, they have a 10 minute rule.  If the agent doesn't show in 10 they just put the baggage on through.  That was fine because I used the time to call Miss Kitty.  Agent didn't show after 15, I waved at the agent, she gave me the thumbs up.   I have the Delta app so they send notifications when the bag is accepted, when it's loaded and when it's a bag claim. 

Delta was very frustrating.  I chose Portland(PWM) because it's a direct flight while Manchester required changing planes.  That was a good choice, because I might have had to stay overnight in Boston without my luggage on the return trip.  No delays going but coming back the lack of ramp workers hampered every step of the flight.  My return 3:03pm departure left at 5:51pm.  It took over an hour for regular baggage to make it to pickup.  OKAY I'VE GOT out of my system.

Exeter was quaint, full of history and just delightful.  I enjoyed touring around Exeter,  Portsmith, & Kittering.  Never took the same road twice in and out of town.   Did not tour the USS Albacore, though while an important sub, it was a test bed and never an operational mission sub.   The Navy used it to test design concepts and equipment.  It led the way in hull design, but I'd rather visit a sub that had seen action.  Did see some of their navy yard though.  And visited the Kittering Trading Post.

SHOOT

The Sig Acadmy is over-whelming.  So many ranges so many classes.  And they're building some new buildings probably with indoor ranges.   The Pro Shop has everything Sig sells.  The average gun store doesn't have every model so it was neat seeing ALL the models side by side.   

Chad Barber was the MD and creative genius  behind this match.  It was created around what you MOST LIKELY encounter in an every day scenario.  1-3 bad guys.  3-10 shots.  Little if any movement.  While there's nothing wrong with preparing to clear and entire shopping mall of a company size group of zombie's, the idea here was what are you most likely to encounter.   There were a few skill things thrown in.  The Standards stage had four paper targets to the left, four to the right and six poppers.   Shoot the right hand paper with the right hand. The left hand paper with the left hand, the popper freestyle. Best 3 on paper, steel must fall, in any Order.  LIMITED.  ONLY 30 Rounds.   Yes, with steel, it was limited.

They went all out with props.   There was the Dancing Monkey Mover.  The 65 yard small torso shaped steel with a red flashing light when you hit it.  Most stages did not require a reload.   Also, every bay had two targets with 7yd fault line (stage 13)  It was a warm-up stage and every squad shot that configuration first thing that morning on their starting bay.  That way everybody got a simple introduction and warmup.  Chad reintroduce IDPA's old Tactical Sequence.   One shot on each target then the follow-up shots.  Warmup started with 4 in gun then we shot  1, 2, 1, reload, and one each to the head.   At the ATM it was two thugs attacking.  Best 5 shots to score, so we shot, 1, 5, 4.  There were gas pumps, mail boxes, even the front door of a house and small yard with a mover on tracks that came at you.  Cars, picnic tables, park benches, and an ATM were used.  Everything of course labeled 365.  The house number, the price of gas, the bank balance.   VERY CLEVER

Friday's squads weren't filled and instead of combining them, since there were ROs already for each bay we just shot with what we had.  4 on my squad and we all had a good time.  Weren't rushed.  2 of the four on my squad had never shot in a match.  Pirate Mike (yes he lives on a boat) and Mike from SIG (he makes barrels) were first time shooters.  Pirate Mike has taken most of Sig's classes.  It's just what he does, but had never shot in a competition.  Mid morning a Sig employee comes around to the bay with snacks!!!   We all stopped right at 11:30 for lunch. Well made sandwiches, very tasty and professional.  I had to tell Mike and Mike that this wasn't normal for most matches.

COLLECT AWARDS

Overall:   46 of 131 with 211.18sec  (Mason Lane won overall with 107.26)
Division, Stock P365XL:  12/28
Veteran: 6/17
Senior:  8/28

My best stage was Stage 12, Home Cleaning (target on tracks moving towards shooter). I got 4 on mover before it fell down.  22nd overall and 5th in division.  One secret is people pushed the activator, a falling popper, too hard.  I did it softly and it gave me a fraction of second more time to draw.

On the standards stage (right hand, left hand, poppers) I placed 38th overall and 10 in division.

No awards.  Got the blue match shirt, the 15% discount at the store and the Sig lapel pin.  More importantly I had a great time.  Next year might include P320 compact division.  And yes, I'd go back in a heart beat.

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

tombogan03884

« Reply #103 on: July 25, 2021, 12:38:50 PM »
Top half in everything, top 3rd in several ?
Not bad for an old fart .   ;D
Glad you had good weather.   ;D

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #104 on: July 25, 2021, 01:02:38 PM »
Weather was great.  We finished at 1ish on Thursday and showers didn't show up until 4ish.   I see the attraction of living up there in the summer.  Nice weather.

Oh, "fault lines".   Chad tried to not have any.  I think there were maybe two stages with actual fault lines.  Everything else was a prop to stand behind or "standing behind the car".   See the first two stage with the grassy areas.    "Stay Off the Grass."   No shooting around cover like in most matches.  Simpler for newbies. 
Will work for ammo

Sponsor

« Reply #105 on: Today at 05:55:15 AM »

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #105 on: July 25, 2021, 07:46:33 PM »
Some photos from BAC showing the stages.  Notice the "numbers"

Here's the standards stage.  Best 3 on paper.  Four left, left handed.  Four right, right handed and 6 popper freestyle.  Any order.  LIMITED. 

Here's the mover.  There was a popper right in front of where this picture was taken.  It represented your child who you pushed to the ground with your strong hand.  The popper triggered the mover.  Push it gently so it falls slowly to give you time to draw.

The long distance steel with the red light on the first one showing.

Will work for ammo

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 563
« Reply #106 on: July 25, 2021, 07:59:02 PM »
Good deal.  Thanks to you and Brian for the pictures. 

Your Delta comments are not surprising...
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #107 on: July 28, 2021, 10:42:48 AM »
ALL DONE

• Buy P365   
  • Buy extra mags
  • Register for slot/squad 
  • Break gun return to SIG
  • Procure ammo
  • Practice    
  • Make travel plans 
  • Go 
  • Shoot 
  • Collect awards

Close this trip out.  So sad, having post-event depression.

Next up:  NRA Action Pistol-Tallahasse (Bianchi courses), IRC-Shrieveport, GA State USPSA, GSSF-Dawsonville, maybe MAS-40 in FL.

Will work for ammo

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #108 on: August 04, 2021, 12:44:41 PM »
Ah one last brag:   They used the Lewis award system since there was no classification system.

If I hadn't nicked those two no-shoots I could have ended up in last place in the Gold group.
Will work for ammo

tombogan03884

« Reply #109 on: August 04, 2021, 02:00:42 PM »
Ah one last brag:   They used the Lewis award system since there was no classification system.

If I hadn't nicked those two no-shoots I could have ended up in last place in the Gold group.

F### the innocents, 3rd is better than last, even if there's only 3 competitors . 
Besides, If the shoot targets were hiding behind them they weren't so innocent any way.   ;D

Shoot 'em all. let God do the scoring .   ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk