Author Topic: Ammo.Com  (Read 2207 times)

tombogan03884

Ammo.Com
« on: March 23, 2021, 11:08:27 AM »
If you shared this here I must have missed it .

https://ammo.com/articles/3d-printed-firearms-defense-distributed-ghost-gun-guide

I almost sh!t myself when I found out how INexpensive GOOD machines are, Under $300 !
I'm thinking hard, wondering if it will become a hobby, or will I try a couple things and lose interest.
Trying to prioritize interests based on how much use per $   ;D
My question is, When will online retailers start dealing in printer programs ?

Check out "Fuddbusters" as well, they also are focused on using print technology to make gun control impossible.

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 447
Re: Ammo.Com
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2021, 11:16:39 AM »
I'm in the same boat.  Would it just be a brief hobby and then loose interest? 

There are some small parts I'd like to fabricate.   One was a powder drop funnel.  So I tried designing it in a 3D graphics program and quickly realized it was a rather complex design for my first 3D model.  I gave up on it, for the time being.

I'm leaning, however, towards the laser engraver/cutters.  Plus I noticed one company has a 3D "bed" and mechanism with interchangeable heads.  It can either do laser engraving, light millings or 3D printing.

Unfortunately my dreams are much bigger than my wallet.  The base models I'm looking at are ~$5,000 range.
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

tombogan03884

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2021, 01:16:12 PM »
All things considered, I don't see it sitting idle considering what you can download free .
Joe can ban many things, Plastic filament isn't one of them.   ::)

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 853
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2021, 06:42:34 PM »
Rob Pincus is cranking out frames.  He has under $300 invested in the machine.  First he got the machine, and then recently he added an option that will use metal filament. 

Last week, or the week before, he set the machine up in the back of his truck, and he printed a frame while he drove from Colorado to Florida.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

tombogan03884

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2021, 09:03:32 PM »
I just can't wait for a printer that fabricates primers.

Very small punch press is what you need for primers, but the parts are so small you'd be better off going back to flint.   ;D
Putting in the priming compound is what makes it a PITA.
Otherwise it would be a simple job.

After a little thought it might be easier to print the primers themselves, as long as your plastic is hard enough to set off the priming .
You could print cup and anvil as one piece, but you still need to put the bang in it.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 01:12:49 AM »

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 81
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2021, 11:18:58 AM »
I have a 3D printer, small bed unfortunately. The filament cost will break you (who am I kidding, I'm talking to gun guys here!), and it has a tendency to tangle, thus ruining your print. Any humidity and it doesn't work either. At least you can put the filament spool into your oven (very low temps) and dry it out. It also takes hours or days to print anything of size.

There is a site called Thingiverse.com where people leave all sorts of neat projects, probably including powder funnels already mapped out and ready to download and run.

In short, it is NOT a turnkey effort, you do have to learn all sorts of new stuff, like slicing, bed levelling, software package to take designs and convert them to g-code, etc. It takes time, patience, and lots of doing things over until everything is set up just so. And then it can still go wrong. Kinda like reloading . . .

That said, when your first successful print is done, you feel like nothing can stand in your way.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

tombogan03884

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2021, 03:55:32 PM »
I would not have considered it except that I've got about 20 years experience with G code programming  ;D
They use quite a few of the same table commands although the printer specific commands are different.
Also, you are really only working in X and Y axis' since the Z movement is a set step and doesn't matter till you start the next pass.
Some of these Hotend temperatures I see listed I'm thinking metal, Aluminum at least, won't take much modification.
I've never been much of a tinkerer, but I've been curious about these for years.    ;D

Pathfinder, I think it was Thingiverse where I saw the download for a functioning Luger. ( This is a 1:1 scale model, not a "gun"  ;D Got those too.   ;D  ) Glad I saved all the measuring tools when I sold my Tool box   ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk