Author Topic: Import Marks  (Read 880 times)

tombogan03884

Import Marks
« on: November 17, 2021, 08:57:46 AM »
Listening to Ian bitch about "import marks" on surplus guns.

He's complaining that they take away from the historical authenticity of the fire arm.
That may be true enough if you want to preserve a specific era, but in my opinion, if you want to demonstrate the history of the gun then the import mark, no matter how large and ugly, is merely another land mark in the designs journey.

Opinions ?

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 453
Re: Import Marks
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2021, 10:16:51 AM »
That's one way to look at it.

I tend to think, while the import mark ADDs to the history, the idea about historical preservation is that you want it configured like it was at some past point in history.   I hated the import marks on the Chelaen Mauser and the Mosin that I owned.
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2021, 11:03:42 AM »
Some of the import marks I have seen put on with an electric engraving tool, make a preschool kids abc in crayon look good
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

tombogan03884

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2021, 06:32:45 PM »
That's one way to look at it.

I tend to think, while the import mark ADDs to the history, the idea about historical preservation is that you want it configured like it was at some past point in history.   I hated the import marks on the Chelaen Mauser and the Mosin that I owned.

I don't disagree , I just think that if it HAS to be there it adds the the history of the specific piece.
I had one of those 1895 Chilean Mauser rifles. I kick myself every time I think of it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk