Author Topic: Being a tourist in your own state  (Read 2032 times)

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1103
Re: Being a tourist in your own state
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2022, 02:30:25 AM »
Here are where all 472 locations are on the map. I tried to zoom in to get the most detail I could but had to shrink to fit the allowed file size. Between this list, the DeLorme Atlas and some other resources online, there are thousands of sites, and sights to see in Michigan if I would just do it. I just found out I drive by a short hiking trail every time I go up north to ride my ATV. It's part of the Jack Pine Wildlife Viewing Tour. It's a self-guided, 58-mile auto-tour through jack pine ecosystems that are home to a variety of wildlife, including the endangered Kirtland's warbler. I've been to a lot of the stops on the tour before but didn't even know there was a tour. Every year the Kirtland's warblers fly away and spend the winters in The Bahamas and the Turks and Caicos Islands. I think that's a fine idea but I don't have wings so I'm stuck here.

And it was just recently I found out Fort Wayne in the city of Detroit, built 1842–51 is still standing and they have guided tours. How am I just finding this out after living here for 60 years? It's only 75 miles away and and I'm almost positive no one's been hiding it from me the whole time. It's not like I've never been in, around, or through Detroit.

Have you heard of the famous experiments where a guy who was gut shot didn't heal right, so an army doctor hung chunks of meat by a piece of string into his stomach? That's how he learned about gastric juices and digestion on the man who was his virtual prisoner. It was this year or last year I found out it all happened at Fort Mackinac, built 1782, former British and American military outpost garrisoned from the late 18th century to the late 19th century on Mackinac Island. William Beaumont (November 21, 1785 – April 25, 1853) became known as the "Father of Gastric Physiology".  They have some sort of monument to him at the fort where it all happened. William Beaumont Hospital in Royal Oak, Michigan, William Beaumont Hospital in Troy, Michigan, William Beaumont Hospital in Grosse Pointe, Michigan, Oakland University William Beaumont School of Medicine in the cities of Auburn Hills and Rochester Hills, MIm and several other hospitals and schools were named after him. When his poor victim, or patient if you prefer to call him that, Alexis Bidagan dit St-Martin died, his family waited until his body started to decompose before they buried him, so doctors wouldn't have grave-robbers dig him up for further examination.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Mackinac
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Beaumont
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexis_St._Martin
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

BAC

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2022, 01:23:21 AM »
Flume Gorge in Franconia Notch State Park. Gorge-ous!  We also finally saw a moose.  Like chupacabra, they’re real!

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1103
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2022, 07:42:18 AM »
That's beautiful BAC. Now I want to be a tourist in your state too. I'm sure the picture doesn't do it justice.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

BAC

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2022, 10:31:12 AM »
That's beautiful BAC. Now I want to be a tourist in your state too. I'm sure the picture doesn't do it justice.

Thanks!  There's still so much more to see here.  Here are a couple more from Flume Gorge:

I try to post a photo a day to Flickr.  Here's a link to my New Hampshire album, if anyone's interested:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/brianchiaravalle/albums/72157716823314962

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk