Author Topic: 4999 measurement compliant AR pistol  (Read 951 times)

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
4999 measurement compliant AR pistol
« on: September 11, 2022, 10:53:29 AM »
had a mild bout of covid a month and half ago, so had time on my hands... I was looking at the actual objective measurements of the proposed 4999 compliance sheet for braces... I have no crystal ball on any subjective criteria, but I put together a spare AR pistol lower that meets their objective measurements... my 10.5 5.56 with a Strike Industries 5.5" buffer tube, short buffer, and flat wire spring meets the minimum length for the buffer tube and provides an acceptable length of pull and overall length... problem was that being that short coupled I could not get a nose to charging handle support position without the charging handle digging into my cheek... I was originally going to modify the charging handle to remove the left side and retain the latch, or convert to a right side latch, but I've always wanted to play with a side charger, so picked up a 10.5" Bear Creek right side charging upper... had to remove some of the checkering of the charging handle hole plug, but it works (not very comfortably, but works) and meets all the 4999 measurements... currently my go-to KAK 8.5" tube and rubber end cap are on the carbine, but if the ATF retains the same measurements I have an AR pistol that works... regards Les

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 567
Re: 4999 measurement compliant AR pistol
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2022, 01:41:36 PM »
I hadn't heard about a compliance proposal.  Does it go for AK pistols as well?
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2022, 02:16:12 PM »
as I understand, the 4999 is a worksheet determining if you have a "braced pistol" or SBR.... parts of the document are very subjective, I was just looking at the objective measurements.. most of the wording is for AR style pistols, but I would think it would be all inclusive across all platforms... the AK platform with the recoil spring in the receiver would allow a shorter firearm.... early on, at the building of my first "pistol" that I wanted to use a bare buffer tube with rubber end cap, and would be an AR format in 5.56... I have an SBR...I do however, have some Visa points saved up 8)    Les

https://www.atf.gov/rules-and-regulations/docs/undefined/sample-atf-worksheet-4999/download...

Rastus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2022, 07:39:52 PM »
Thanks for the update. And a link. It was just something I’m interested in I doubt that I’ll get anything close to an SBR or brace pistol but it’s good to know what’s what

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2022, 08:40:59 PM »
the idea of 1. short barrel,  2. shoulder fired, and 3. auto loading has intrigued me for several years... I have a 75th birthday coming up and need to look for a present  :)

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 11:10:20 PM »

Rastus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2022, 06:06:48 PM »
I think you must treat yourself!!!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk