Author Topic: Motar no more.  (Read 1327 times)

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
Motar no more.
« on: June 02, 2022, 07:44:50 AM »
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2021/10/22/springfield-levar-charging-handle/amp/

Buying one of these.  They are $80but if it works its worth every penny
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 453
Re: Motar no more.
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2022, 10:47:19 AM »
I admit I don't shoot my ARs very much.   When I do though I don't run them very hot, and I use pretty decent ammo, so I've never had this problem.  On the other hand mortaring is very hard on the stock, it would seem.   On the third hand, I really like my Geissele handles.

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2022, 08:00:33 AM »
Got it,I will say it is stout for a charging handle.  It also sticks up pretty high which blocks some gas that normally  escapes around the charging handle.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1089
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2022, 10:10:57 AM »
I didn't know people called that mortaring. You just did it if you had to and hoped it worked, but most of the time you don't have to. If the bolt is locked into the barrel extension, the bolt carrier isn't sticking back into the lower receiver extension, meaning you can break open the rifle. When you separate the upper and lower you have easy access to the bolt carrier and can hit it or pry on it or anything you want to. You aren't going to break that solid steel like you could break your stock by hitting the ground with it.

If I mortared an AR with a large extended charging handle latch on it, like my Badger Ordnance latch I can get a lot of leverage on, I'd worry about bending or breaking it if it wasn't 4140 alloy steel. I bought 2 smaller extended latches since I got that one that wouldn't be a problem. One is steel but the other one is aluminum that won't wear out the locking notch in the upper as fast.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2023, 08:39:13 AM »
1000 rounds suppressed with this ar now

I can say that it does indeed block more gas than most handles.  Not had a malfunction  to test it out with yet, but over all I am very happy with the handle.  I like that it has substantial size and mass too it.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 07:01:03 AM »

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1089
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2023, 05:08:29 PM »
That's good to hear TAB. My last charging handle is a coffee scoop. Not much use for anything else, but I like having an "AR accessory" in the kitchen.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk