Author Topic: Ouch! Be Careful Out There  (Read 834 times)

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 453
Re: Ouch! Be Careful Out There
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2023, 03:02:54 PM »
Ran 100 rounds it.  All functioned well.  No failures.  I did do the first 10 left handed, just in case.  I did slow fire and very fast doubles.
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2023, 10:14:22 AM »
I m going to go with a case that was either " worn out"  or some one loaded it very hot,it could not take another loading.

I am not sure you could have double charged it and if it was an over charge there would have been other signs
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 453
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2023, 01:33:51 PM »
The load, 3.2gr of TG, fills just over half the case.  Double charging would hard to overlook as the bullet wouldn't even seat.

It was an S&B case made in 21-22 (Covid era).   I can't be sure if it was from my S&B 115gr stock ammo or not.   It comes out of a 5gal bucket of 9mm brass.  The top of which tend to get reloaded over and over since I don't have a way to rotate the stock.  Just dump the ones I bring home in the top.  So it could have been reloaded many times.  However, other S&B brass I've scooped out at the same level of the bucket are crimped which tell me they are all factory, once fired.

On that note, for .357 and .44 magnum I do keep two bins each.  One is labeled "DUMP" where I dump all spent brass. The other bin is used for reloads until empty.  Then I swap the sign.  That way I'm rotating stock.  Don't do it for 9mm and .38spl though.  I may start!
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1088
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2023, 01:53:46 PM »
Okay, now that I see the feed ramp, it makes sense that the bottom blew out. And a little on the right side too. Since it wasn't out of battery when you fired, I think it looks like the gun unlocked before the bullet cleared the muzzle, and it blew up as the case was withdrawing, but I don't see how that's possible. This is a real puzzler for me. I'm used to looking at things going wrong with guns and knowing what happened, or at least having a really good idea, but not this time. No matter how weak the case was, I just don't see how that happened, but I haven't seen many ruptured cases. Maybe they do that sometimes, but the only case failure I had with a centerfire was a split case on a .45 ACP. It was enough pressure to split the case halfway, but nothing happened to the gun and the case could still be chambered. That was either in my Series 80 Colt or Para-Ordnance. It happened so long ago I can't remember which.

So, I have a question for everyone. Is it normal for a ruptured case to bulge in front of the rim out like that? This is a picture i just found of a ruptured case that blew out where it wasn't supported by the feed ramp, and it doesn't look anything like that.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk