Author Topic: Walther P-22 review.  (Read 4046 times)

BF-109

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Walther P-22 review.
« on: February 13, 2007, 08:48:54 PM »
I recently purchased and took the range my new short barrel Walther P-22. I was not impressed with it for the following reasons:
1. You can pull the trigger and drop the hammer with the slide out of battery.
2. The rear sight sits on top of the frame like a sideways boxcar on a 2x4 and the sight also has a slight loosness to it.
3. If you happen to accidently drag your trigger finger on the bottom of the trigger guard while pulling the trigger, you will activate the magazine release.
4. Accuracy was ho-hum.
Should have bought a Ruger mark II. :-\

mnshooter

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
Re: Walther P-22 review.
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2007, 09:56:11 PM »
I've had two p-22's. The rear sight was loose on both. Not loose in holding zero but rocking around in it's mount like yours.  I sent one to S&W (they paid for shipping both ways), and it came back with a note on the back of their smith's business card: "Rear sight within factory spec".  I didn't bother sending the other one in; instead zeroed both of them for my eyes, then drooled green penetrating locktite all over them.  This locked them up tight.  I now have reasonably solid fixed rear sights.  If the gun wasn't so cute (and the better one giving  2" in 25yd offhand accuracy) I'd get rid of them.  The little dedicated laser is so perfectly matched to the gun you just want to have one. They did mess up by not giving the safety lever the same functions as the p-99, and using a poor rear sight and a plastic snap in front sight. Before I forget, once you get zeroed, which might involve using one of the other furnished front sights, glue the front sight in as well.   I've had them shoot off twice.  S&W will send you another if you whine properly. I guess that's enough glowing endorsements for one day.  Sure is cute though.

BGregory

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2007, 12:41:48 AM »
I have a 1st Edition, which went back to S&W due to jamming.  After several weeks, a rep called and asked if they could replace the pistol with a new one.  I asked why?  Their response was that Walther was not supplying the parts needed to repair it.  I told them no, that I would wait, since the replacement would not be a 1st Edition.  Several more weeks went by and I finally received the pistol.  They replaced the mags, recoil spring, and sear pin.

The pistol is a real PITA to disassemble to clean.  Mine has the tendency to have the safety loosen and drop to the safe position during firing.  It's picky on ammo.  As noted, the sights suck.  It has been sitting in the box now for quite some time.  It's just not worth the time or effort to send it back, again.
Cò an caora sin còmhla riut a chunnaic mi an-raoir?

pdg45acp

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2007, 12:43:23 AM »
My wife loves her P-22.. It's 100% with Mini-Mags. I guess we were lucky.
Retired, retired, retired

DonWorsham

• MWAG
  • Top Forum Member
  • I feel more like I do now than I ever did
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2007, 08:48:02 AM »
It's 100% with Mini-Mags. 

Mine too!
Don Worsham
Varied Movements Performed Intensely

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 10:53:53 PM »

WaltGraham

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2007, 05:13:00 PM »
I have the dual barrel package. I mostly shoot the longer one. Other than a proclivity of the barrel weight to loosen (fixed with loctite), mine has been good.

Lawrence Keeney

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2007, 07:30:28 PM »
I actually know a couple of people with carry permits who tote P-22s for self defense on the street.

Now I grant you, the one I tried was nice, and had a decent trigger, but I don't know if I'd choose one over...say..my Glock 26..which is my longtime companion.. ;D

Would love to have one of those walthers with a nice supressor on it though..I must admit. :o

jj

• I Cast Lead
  • Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2009, 04:00:47 PM »
I recently purchased and took the range my new short barrel Walther P-22. I was not impressed with it for the following reasons:
1. You can pull the trigger and drop the hammer with the slide out of battery.
2. The rear sight sits on top of the frame like a sideways boxcar on a 2x4 and the sight also has a slight loosness to it.
3. If you happen to accidently drag your trigger finger on the bottom of the trigger guard while pulling the trigger, you will activate the magazine release.
4. Accuracy was ho-hum.
Should have bought a Ruger mark II. :-\
I would like you to see if you can carry a Ruger Mark II better then a Walter P22 short barrel. Would seem to me you make a bad choice in picking out a 22 for what ever reason you had.
I forgot to compensate for the natural rotation of the earth.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk