Author Topic: Why a Renewal of the 1994 Assault Weapon Ban is NOT Happening....  (Read 10304 times)

Ulmus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
    • Gunslinger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Why a Renewal of the 1994 Assault Weapon Ban is NOT Happening....
« Reply #40 on: November 11, 2008, 09:45:56 PM »
I can think of one reason why Obama will pass the AWB.  Ted Nugents comment on stage.
Remember the "Suck on this!" line?  That alone would push anyone in power to sign any gun reg bill while thinking, "Hey Ted, Suck on this!"

Anyone in power is still just a person who has some sort of petty streak in them.  Give them power and enough backing and see what happens.

As for the "Constitutionally Guaranteed Right" that Heller vs. D.C. gave, remember it was a 5 to 4 verdict.  That means it can be challenged again with two new appointees to the SCOTUS.

TAB has a point with the NRA slogan.  "From my cold ,dead hands!" is very confrontational.  SOme might like it that way, but it puts off a lot people who have a gun or two, but aren't into shooting.  Same thing with the "Tree of Liberty" getting thirsty.  We want the silent majority behind us, not against us.  Comments like these will scare away the average suburbanite and make us sound like "gun nuts".

What is the one thing I see in favor of gun enthusiasts that hasn't been brought up yet?  The popularity of the AR platform in recent times.  If I remember correctly, part of the Heller vs. D.C. judgement ruled against banning "common" firearms.  Common means Popular or big sales numbers to the average Joe, so with so many manufacturers making and selling AR platform rifles, it can be argues that it is a "common" firearm.

Same thinking goes for all the pistols with the high capacity magazines.  The high sales numbers help defend its existence.

We also need to show that there is more to firearms than just self defense and hunting.  We need to show more of the lighter side of the shooting world.

SASS is a great start, but we need more.  We need the Ruger Rimfire Challenge as a way to cheaply get into the shooting sport hobby.  We need a version of SASS that uses the AR platform in a fun-light hearted manner ala GI Joe vs. Cobra.

You might say this is "liberalizing the sport shooting arena" and it might be, but while the 2nd Admendment may gaurantee the right to keep and bear arms, it only stays that way as long as it is popular with the majority of people in this country.

The anti-gunners have made it their mission to sell the idea that it is bad to own or like guns.  It is up to us to sell the idea that it is good to enjoy our firearms. 

That is where the fight is.  That is where we need to win.  The hearts and minds of mainstream middle suburbia America.

lefty60

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: November 11, 2008, 10:20:11 PM »
If a top notch ad campain can give us a president that we don't want, it could make gun owners look very good.

In this day and age it appears reason is over come by well written ads! ???

How about we (NRA?) hire these folks to make gun owners look like heros. ;D ;D

deepwater

• SNIPE
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: November 11, 2008, 10:24:49 PM »
Good point ULMUS
What is the one thing I see in favor of gun enthusiasts that hasn't been brought up yet?  The popularity of the AR platform in recent times.  If I remember correctly, part of the Heller vs. D.C. judgement ruled against banning "common" firearms.  Common means Popular or big sales numbers to the average Joe, so with so many manufacturers making and selling AR platform rifles, it can be argues that it is a "common" firearm.
also think how many people have just invested quite a bit of cash on these firearms and will not like to give them up or lose the right to use them. the more people buy the better off we'll be.
YOU CAN TEACH A MONKEY HOW TO RIDE A BICYCLE: BUT YOU CAN'T TEACH HIM HOW TO FIX IT!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk