Author Topic: Episode 1: Safe at Home  (Read 50749 times)

tombogan03884

Re: Episode 1: Safe at Home
« Reply #90 on: January 03, 2009, 09:03:19 PM »
Tell her she owes it to the kids, they deserve to have a LIVE Mother.

Rob Pincus

• CO-HOST ON BEST DEFENSE
  • Top Forum Member
    • I.C.E. Training Company
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #91 on: January 04, 2009, 02:57:25 PM »
Bryand71,

Thanks for your thoughts on the show and the DVD Series. It is sometimes hard to get someone to commit to the first step of proper preparation: Recognizing the Need for it !

I think we all hope that at least a few people will tune in to The Best Defense or stop long enough while channel surfing to have their awareness raised to a level that gets them to start thinking about their safety in the first place. Perhaps watching a few episodes will get your wife to start thinking more about safety.

Over the holidays I read The Science of Fear . If your wife read that book she would learn about the way humans tend to rationalize their beliefs about what things are really dangerous. The book makes a very good case for worrying a lot more about wearing your seatbelt and a lot less about what hollowpoints to load your backup gun with. At the same it explains why it is more interesting to talk about the bullet choices and how easy it is to think that the latter issue is a higher priority. While this may sound like the book would steer her away from most of what we talk about here, I think it is more likely to help her focus on issues of safety and security in general and realize that the proper prioritization of fears and concerns is what matters. The obvious little things, such as locking the door, which take virtually no effort relative to the potential benefit should become easy for her to recognize as being worthwhile.

-RJP

bryand71

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #92 on: January 04, 2009, 08:08:42 PM »
Rob,
Thanks for the advice. I will check that book out and see if I can get her to watch TBD with me. I still have episode 1 on the DVR.
"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen." [Samuel Adams]

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk