Author Topic: Illinois Senate Bill 1007 Please Call  (Read 1736 times)

Oil Can

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Illinois Senate Bill 1007 Please Call
« on: July 11, 2007, 11:38:09 AM »
ISRA Action Alert:
Blagojevich to launch special session to attack your gun rights

Governor Blagojevich is expected to call a special legislative session on so-called "assault weapons" starting on Wednesday, July 11. His opening volley will be notorious anti-gun Senator Kotowski's Senate Bill 1007, a ban on standard capacity magazines and many conventional centerfire rifles & shotguns with tubular magazines. SB1007 has already passed the Senate and is up for third reading in the Illinois House. Blagojevich is trying to deflect criticism of his failed initiatives and failed budget negotiations by bringing gun control to the center stage at this critical time.

Please take the following action to preserve your gun rights:

1. Starting Wednesday, July 11, call your state representative and politely urge him or her to not support SB1007, a bill that would penalize law-abiding gun owners. Tell the person who answers the phone that you want your representative to focus on passing a budget.

2.. Post this information to any and all Internet bulletin boards or blogs to which you belong.

ISRA has a listing of phone numbers for Illinois State Representatives. Need to find out who your Legislators are? Check the Illinois Election Board. If you have trouble looking up your Representative, you can call the switchboard for the Illinois House at 217-782-8223 and they will connect you. We suggest that you call your representative's office directly if you can, there is limited staff on the switchboard.

Your fellow gun owners are counting on you to make that call.

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 84
Re: Illinois Senate Bill 1007 Please Call
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2007, 08:40:04 AM »
Posted in email from ISRA today:

"ISRA Springfield Report for July 11, 2007:
No action taken today during special session on SB1007

The Governor's special session No. 8, called especially to bring SB1007 into consideration, began at 2:00pm with a floor statement from the House Sponsor of SB1007, Representative Harry Osterman (D, Chicago).  In a rather short but pragmatic speech, Osterman noted that he not going to be calling for a vote on SB1007 for two reasons: the first was that the time was not right to engage in bringing this bill before the house, the primary task of the legislature at this time is to deal with the budget.  The second reason he gave was that he didn't have enough votes to pass the bill.  He soon called for an adjournment of the special session.

Note that the bill has an immediate effective date, this means that the bill needs a 3/5's majority to pass in special session.  If amended to change the effective date to a year beyond it becoming law, only a simple majority would be needed.  While we could expect to see such an amendment in the future, nothing will likely be done with SB1007 until Illinois has a budget.  SB1007 is not dead and ISRA remains vigilant, but any further action on this bill will be on another day.

Please join ISRA if you're not already a member. Please sign up a friend. "

The ISRA is the Illinois State Rifle Association, and has become a very active voice and spear point in the fight against Daley's jihad against almost all rights and human decency. This man is nothing short (and he is short) of a petty tyrant who has been allowed to hold sway over the entire state through his political machinations. He must be stopped, and the ISRA is working on stopping him on the 2A angle.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk