Author Topic: AR-15 Armorers tools  (Read 6614 times)

Ironhawk

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
AR-15 Armorers tools
« on: February 21, 2009, 02:57:34 PM »
So I'm sitting around, waiting for the various parts of my first AR build to be either processed, shipped, or waiting for it to arrive, and I thought to myself...It would probably be a good idea to have an AR armorers wrench.  You know, one of those do all combination wrenchs.  The only two that I've really come across is the DMPS armorers tool, and another style that doesn't seem to have a brand name stuck to it. This link being for the latter.  http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/v/vspfiles/photos/Tool%20Armorer%20AR15%20Wrench-2T.jpg
So I'm just seeking some guidance from you more experienced folks.  One(s) that I should avoid, or it doesn't really matter.  Perhaps one works a wee better then another.  I dunno.  Any input would great.  Thanks for y'alls time.   ;D
“No free man shall ever be de-barred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain their right to keep and bear arms is as a last resort to protect themselves against tyranny in government."   - Thomas Jefferson -

1776 Rebel

Re: AR-15 Armorers tools
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 04:07:57 PM »
Ironhawk it is funny you should ask....I have that Bravo company tool (fulton armory used to sell it). I just put a carbine together. I was not a happy camper with that wrench. The 1/2 " drive opening needed to be filed out to accept my torque wrench (which I sure didn't need). The three pins kept slipping out of the barrel nut. The entire thingy is coated in some type of enamel. Under pressure it comes off. There must be something better out there.

I general I am not a fan of the standard barrel nut. It is a totally crap design IMHO. And certainly not the design of these barrel nut wrenches.

m25operator

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 04:12:31 PM »
Here are a few I like and use. All available from Brownells
I will use part #'s so you can just input them at the Brownell's website to see them.

1) 231 000 007 dpms combo wrench. Mine had to be fiddled with to work.
2) 080 216 015 brownells combo tool, very well made.
3) 702 003 015 brownell's  vise receiver fixture.
4) 795 015 100 brownell's vise barrel jaws, you don't really need this unless your going to remove the barrel extension.
5) a good strap wrench, you can get that at Sears and lot's of places.
6) if your building stripped lowers this is a great tool. 100 003 308, pivot pin and spring with detent installation tool.

This will get you started, some roll pin punches, cup tipped punches are nice.
" The Pact, to defend, if not TO AVENGE '  Tarna the Tarachian.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1089
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2009, 04:32:57 PM »
The only wrench I ever used to change barrels was a Mil Spec AR15/M16 Combination Wrench that you can get as cheap as $14.95. That's what I used in the army too. It removes the barrel nut, lower reciever extension tube, and flash suppressor. I ended up buying a seperate spanner for doing carbine stocks. http://usarmorment.com/mil-spec-ar15m16-combination-wrench-p-563.html?currency=USD
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Thanos

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 07:23:06 PM »
JP's owner's manual said I should send it back to them if I needed to do any work like that. I am pretty handy with tools and can figure just about anything out. But, what is the opinon on working on your own AR if you havn't torn one down before?

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 02:48:56 AM »

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1089
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2009, 07:42:47 PM »
If it's covered by a warranty you probably shouldn't work on it yourself. If you do want to work on it you can download an army manual in PDF format.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Ironhawk

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2009, 03:12:49 PM »
Thanks everyone for the posts.  This will definitely help.  Know I just need to be patient unitl my middy rifle kit ships.
“No free man shall ever be de-barred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain their right to keep and bear arms is as a last resort to protect themselves against tyranny in government."   - Thomas Jefferson -

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk