Author Topic: Shooting Through Glass.....  (Read 18004 times)

2HOW

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Shooting Through Glass.....
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2009, 01:38:13 PM »
2How, I don't know about the BoT in general, but I agree with you on this point...  I just confirmed that their site DOES NOT support the statement made in your initial post...... the bullet is not going to always go high... it is likely to follow the rule of moving towards a 90 degree angle from the far surface of the glass (high when firing out of a windshield, low when firing into a car through the windshield... as demonstrated in their tests, via the link you provided).

I was correcting this mis-statement:

I stand corrected I mis remembered, LOL I knew it was a reversal of travel..
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

Rob Pincus

• CO-HOST ON BEST DEFENSE
  • Top Forum Member
    • I.C.E. Training Company
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2009, 08:17:57 PM »
Thanks man... I figured that it was just an oversight...... but I wanted to make sure everyone was on the same page. The link was perfect as it demonstrated what we were discussing!

-RJP

DesertMarine

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2009, 10:05:49 PM »
Great discussion.  In my previous life as a federal officer, we were in vehicles a lot.  My understanding was that when a bullet hit glass all bets were off as to where it was going.  Learned something new.  Can't even imagine firing a 357 inside a vehicle even in a firefight unless you absoultely have to, especially with out hearing protection.  A friend of mine did it, while practicing fast draw inside a vehicle.  He could not hear and had headaches for a few days.  Talk about taking yourself out of the fight.
DesertMarine

D-Man

• Active Forum Member
    • 5 Arrows Tactical
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2009, 10:17:17 PM »
Tonight before TBD came on, American Guardian was on.  It was interesting as they took a well aimed shot on a target from inside a car at a target 3 yards away while shooting through glass.  Only a small piece of the jacket even hit the target, and the majority of the bullet wasn't even on the target.  Thought was a good way to see what has been talked about on here in action.  It also tied with the topic that Rob and Michael were showing about knowing a backstop along with innocents in the line of fire.  If you can't control that bullet, how can you avoid hitting innocents?

Darren

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor / NRA Personal Protection Inside the Home / NRA Metallic & Shotgun Reloading / NRA RSO

UT/FL/VA Certified CCW Instructor

http://www.5arrowstactical.com/

http://twitter.com/5ArrowsTactical

http://www.nevadabackcountrytours.com/

Semper Fidelis!

Blessed be the Lord my Rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle - Psalm 144:1

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2009, 04:35:54 PM »
I remember shooting thru a windshield of a junk car brought in for our monthly match.  The load was 152 gr .45 LSWC at 175 PF back then.  I used a single port comp on a 6" oal SS (state of the art) open sights.  IPSC target inside.  POA head (I believe).  POI missed the stearing wheel and impacted A zone clean full cal. hole, range about 5 yds.

Proves nothing because it was only one shot but it surprised us that such a light lead bullet even made it thru!

FWIW

Richard
Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 01:09:22 PM »

Rob Pincus

• CO-HOST ON BEST DEFENSE
  • Top Forum Member
    • I.C.E. Training Company
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2009, 06:17:05 PM »
Ellis,

That certainly falls in line with the "down going in" part!

Good Thread Guys.  Thanks.

-RJP

Michael Bane

• Global Moderator
  • Top Forum Member
  • Host & Editor-in-chief
    • michaelBane.tv
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2009, 06:30:05 PM »
FWIW, I've always found any shot through windshield glass to be exceptionally sensitive to bullet weight and configuration. Back in the 1980s we did tests with Israeli 9mm black tip carbine ammo that pretty much acted like the glass wasn't there, while ball shot out of the same guns at the same distance had often unpredictable deflections. .45 ball showed less deflection than 9mm ball.

Besides, I think Rob just likes to see glass break!

Michael B
Michael Bane, Majordomo @ MichaelBane.TV

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk