Poll

Which is the best?

M1 Garand
Mosin-Nagant M91
Lee-Enfield SMLE mkIII/IV
Mauser Gewehr 98
Arisaka rifle

Author Topic: Best WWII infantry battle rifle  (Read 40267 times)

Walkeraviator

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Best WWII infantry battle rifle
« Reply #100 on: July 04, 2009, 09:17:18 PM »
My vote is teh M1903A4

liftstationman

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #101 on: July 13, 2009, 12:06:09 PM »
this was a very difficult vote for me.

each rifle has it's pros & cons.

personally  have always felt comparing an M-1 garande to the bolt action battle rifles is like comparing apples to oranges.

doing so sets the comparsion up for failure. everyone knows the other rifles can't hold up to the M-1's fire rate and ruggedness.

maybe the m-1 should be compared to the german and russian semi auto battle rifles.

my vote for the bolt action rifle goes to the SMLE.
fast action, easy on field repairs, accurate and fairly lite on the carrier.
ya know the tommies were trained to do this forefinger thumb movement from the hip that allowed the rifleman to lay down an extremely high rate of fire on the charge.

the arisaka(sp) post war tested by the U.S. Army ordinance dept proclaimed this rifle to have the strongest action of the grouping!   

later, liftstationman

the armed citizen prevents tyranny

"They that can give up an essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety!" Ben Franklin

"When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny!" Thomas Jefferson

my job smells like poop, but it's bread and butter to me!

Kid Shelleen

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #102 on: July 13, 2009, 12:55:30 PM »
this was a very difficult vote for me.

each rifle has it's pros & cons.

personally  have always felt comparing an M-1 garande to the bolt action battle rifles is like comparing apples to oranges.

doing so sets the comparsion up for failure. everyone knows the other rifles can't hold up to the M-1's fire rate and ruggedness.

maybe the m-1 should be compared to the german and russian semi auto battle rifles.

my vote for the bolt action rifle goes to the SMLE.
fast action, easy on field repairs, accurate and fairly lite on the carrier.
ya know the tommies were trained to do this forefinger thumb movement from the hip that allowed the rifleman to lay down an extremely high rate of fire on the charge.

the arisaka(sp) post war tested by the U.S. Army ordinance dept proclaimed this rifle to have the strongest action of the grouping!   

later, liftstationman

Wanted to take a minute to welcome you again. You should mosey on down to the Down Range Cafe and look for the New Members thread. That's the place where you can tell us a bit about yourself and get a proper welcome in return.

See ya there,

Kid
“What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that the people preserve the spirit of resistance?”

Thomas Jefferson, 1787

Combat Diver

• De Oppresso Liber
  • Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #103 on: August 05, 2009, 08:34:21 AM »
This is my first post here and of the 5, I pick the M1 Garand.  I have also owned all the above and other WWII rifles. (G43, M1903A3, M44 Nagants, M1 Carbine)   The US was the only country prior to WWII adopt a semi auto rifle, all others continued to equip with WWI rifles. 

However, the M1 is not the best rifle to come out of the war.  That goes to the MP44/STG44 series rifles that still define rifles today.

This is me shooting a MP44 in Iraq in 03' with some East German 7.92x33mm ammo.  On my hip is another WWII relic (M1911A1 Remington-Rand dated 1944) and at my feet a preWWII Czech BRNO 98/29 7.92x57mm built for Iran.

The task of any infantry soldier is to close with the enemy and destroy him with the most violence in the quickest amount of time to take and hold ground.  Most infantry engagements are less then 300m.  Squads use fire and manuever to close with the enemy and usually have other weapons(ie machince guns, rifled grenades, etc)/combined arms to back them up.  This hasn't changed and the MP44 characterics (AK47, M16/M4 sereis) are still being used in Iraq and Afganistan today.

I base this observation and option based on 24 yrs of active Special Forces duty (recently retired), paratrooper, combat diver, M1 tank qualified, sniper, All Army Match competietor (M16 and M4 to 600yds and M14 to 1000yds, all iron sights) and combat vetren from Iraq in 91, 03,04,05,06,08 and 09'.

Just my .02
Iraq: 91,03,04,05,06,08,09,15 & 16' Afghanistan: 09,10,11,14 & 17'

long762range

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #104 on: August 05, 2009, 09:43:37 AM »
Welcome in Combat Diver.  And thank you for your long service to our country.   :)
"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous.  If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for."

Sponsor

« Reply #105 on: Today at 03:45:35 AM »

tombogan03884

« Reply #105 on: August 05, 2009, 10:17:55 AM »
 COOL, Another fan of the MP/StG 44.
There is a New member intro thread you can drop by and introduce your self, check out the other threads and forums here, I think you'll enjoy it. Welcome aboard .

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk