Author Topic: Beta Mags  (Read 3044 times)

Ping

• Top Forum Member
  • Glock Certified Armorer & NRA Certified Instructor
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Beta Mags
« on: March 26, 2009, 08:16:20 PM »
Anyone had the opportunity to fire any .223 Beta mags that hold 100 rounds? Wondering whether or not there would be jamming issues?  Looks like a blast to have but are rather expensive.

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
Re: Beta Mags
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 08:27:41 PM »
I have seen them, but have heard no reviews. I noticed they have one for the Sig 550, it "should" fit the 556 I have.

Wow. Talk about high capacity!. May take 15 minutes to load the damn thing, but close to $300.00 per Mag,.. ???

Love to try one, or hear from someone who has.

Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1089
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 08:58:59 PM »
I have one and only used it one time. It was jamming a lot but I think it was the cheap Chinese ammo I had.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 09:21:53 PM »
Considering the sheer weight of 100 rds, ... would the increased strain on the mag catch cause premature failure/ wear, etc,..

Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 873
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009, 09:27:43 PM »
I read somewhere, sometime ago that you need to lube them.  Do some searches rather than taking my memory as Gospel, but guys were talking powdered graphite to keep them flowing, and they have an issue of wearing out quickly.  I think it was one of the super squad that talked of new ones every few matches  ???

Like I said, there are discussions out there by "pros," so don't count on my memory.  However, I haven't had the urge for one after one evening's reading.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 02:23:18 AM »

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2009, 03:13:21 AM »
Cost wise they just don't make sense. $300 for 1 100rd with beta= 10 30rd standard mags at $30 a pop giving you 300rds. Plus if you get a faulty mag you've got nine more with the regulars where as with the beta you're sol, and so$300.
fightingquaker13

Ping

• Top Forum Member
  • Glock Certified Armorer & NRA Certified Instructor
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2009, 07:06:34 AM »
You are right there fightingquaker but I was wondering if it would be worth it to increase the time of shooting and make the fun last a little longer. I know the local Izaak Walton League would soil themselves to see that show up at the range.  ;D

WaffenAlaskan

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2009, 03:09:01 PM »
 I have shot hundreds of rounds with my Beta! It has not failed! If you got the cash get one, you might not be able to get one later. You can load it pretty quick with the bigger speed loader. The 5 round speed loader it came with is slow to load the mag. But less painful then reloading a Romanian Ak 75 round drum.

WaffenAlaskan

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk