Author Topic: Right handed, left eye dominant. Welcome to the club MB  (Read 8102 times)

MHarvey124

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Right handed, left eye dominant. Welcome to the club MB
« on: March 26, 2009, 07:57:34 PM »
Listened to episode #103 and Michael I feel your pain. I've been shooting right handed since I was about 9. I was a terrible shot until I was in an archery class in junior high school and figured out I was left eye dominant. I'm 23 now and a weekend warrior at the range. It took me forever and it still am trying to cope with my issues. I've just started to train myself to shoot left handed.

Grab a pellet gun and just start plinking in your backyard. I have a trap setup in my basement and usually shoot about 50 rounds each time I pick up my old Red Ryder (I'm a small guy so it fits fine). I just work on getting the stock in the right spot in my shoulder and trigger pull.

Matt

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
Re: Right handed, left eye dominant. Welcome to the club MB
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 07:44:58 PM »
Matt, I wish you luck...never had to make a transition like that.  I did have to shoot the bow left handed though...everything else RH.  Could only hit someone elses bullseye RH!

From watching MB shoot it seems he is making the transition well.

Richard
Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 07:50:53 PM »
Just me but I have no problem shooting rifle left handed and sometimes prefer it.  On handguns not so much, but only because my left hand is 'useless'.  It would take a while to 'train' it.
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

cookie62

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 07:51:25 PM »
I'm left handed and right eyed. Finaly a couple years ago I started shooting right handed. I practiced drawing every day all winter long. Now it is like I have been shooting right handed all along. My accuracy went up also. Hope you can find what works for you. It also helped that I had also shot long guns right handed all my life. I didn't have to train my trigger finger.

A bird in the hand is worth..Well, about a box of shells!
Yes, I'm bitter and cling to guns and religion..

philw

• Top Forum Member
  • Aussie Aussie Aussie, Oi Oi Oi
    • Australian Hunting Net
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2009, 03:19:57 AM »
I am interested on how this goes,

my self I am left eye dominant  ( and am left handed) 

however I find shooting more natural for me to do it right handed ( go figure )
Here’s to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They’re not fond of rules. And they have no respect for the status quo. You can praise them, disagree with them, quote them, disbelieve them, glorify or vilify them. The only thing you can’t do is ignore them

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 06:45:03 PM »

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2009, 04:07:44 AM »
I am interested on how this goes,

my self I am left eye dominant  ( and am left handed) 

however I find shooting more natural for me to do it right handed ( go figure )

That's easy, Phil.....

You come from a land down under, where everything is upside down and backwards...

Heck yer toilets even flush the wrong way!

;D
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

philw

• Top Forum Member
  • Aussie Aussie Aussie, Oi Oi Oi
    • Australian Hunting Net
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2009, 06:52:47 AM »
That's easy, Phil.....

You come from a land down under, where everything is upside down and backwards...

Heck yer toilets even flush the wrong way!

;D

thanks for pointing that out  :P   ( I thought i would of got away with it hehe )
Here’s to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They’re not fond of rules. And they have no respect for the status quo. You can praise them, disagree with them, quote them, disbelieve them, glorify or vilify them. The only thing you can’t do is ignore them

charliefarmerboy33

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2009, 07:16:40 AM »
I too am left eye dominant. This is why I loved the shooting a handgun from the moment I picked one up. Just move it a little to the side. The bow has never been a problem. I have for a long time been considering buying a Stag Arms Model 4L to teach myself to shoot left handed. Yes, I can do it with any of the guns I own, but I see this as a great rational to make a new purchase. Now I just need the extra cash. When I have extra cash now I seem to fritter it away on clothing, food and shelter.
If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember what you said.

jpr9954

• Active Forum Member
    • No Lawyers - Only Guns and Money
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2009, 05:51:42 PM »
In addition to the Winchester 1887 shotgun, you might look at the Ithaca Model 37 (regular or featherweight) or the Browning BPS. Both have bottom eject so can be used by either right or left-handed shooters.

While the Ithaca isn't really being made anymore, there are plenty of used ones around including police models. I think the LAPD used it for years.
So-called gun-free zones are nothing but hunting preserves for psychopaths that hunt humans. -- Massad Ayoob

http://onlygunsandmoney.blogspot.com

Co-host of The Polite Society Podcast

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1061
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2009, 10:03:43 PM »
In addition to the Winchester 1887 shotgun, you might look at the Ithaca Model 37 (regular or featherweight) or the Browning BPS. Both have bottom eject so can be used by either right or left-handed shooters.

While the Ithaca isn't really being made anymore, there are plenty of used ones around including police models. I think the LAPD used it for years.

I love the Ithaca 37.
Good guns....IMO.

"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk